Do you consider your partner family?

If you had a boyfriend/girlfriend or if you do.. do you consider them family? and if you do what would you do or how would you feel if your boyfriend/girlfriend excluded you from their family making you feel like you are not a part of him/her family and they make it seem they have a perfect/happy family that they glorify? would that bother you and what would you do?

• Yes I do and that would bother me.
  • No I don't and I wouldn't care

66

Most Helpful Guy

• It would bother me, but my wife has been an almost adopted part of my family for many-many years. She's been my sister's best friend when they were 7 (23 years), so in all reality, she has always been included in stuff. Now my ex-wife, not so much, it bothered me a little bit, but it makes sense why they didn't include her,

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend is super important to me, but I don't consider him to be "officially" part of my family. I still do certain things with my family that I don't invite him to, because I want to make sure that I spend some quality time with my sibling, etc. Likewise, I respect his right to sometimes have family time or certain things that he wants to do with just his biological family. I think that's healthy, especially since we are not married. My personal feeling is that once a couple is married, they are much more officially part of the family.

• We have been together for years and we live together, so we get plenty of time together. Family time is a lot more rare, and I want to make sure that both of us have the opportunity to stay close with our biological family members without allowing our relationship to distract from that. He is almost like a family member, and he joins my family often, and vice versa. But I think there are times when it is okay to draw a line- again, especially since we as not married.

What Guys Said 5

• Until you MARRY you're NOT family. You can THINK they are, but they're not really.

That said, why is your family excluding your boyfriend? Or is it your girlfriend?

• Well you don't need to be married to be a family. emergency and my s/o aren't married yet and I don't know of we will get married but we consider echo there family. His sister considers me her sister his brother considers me his sister and my s/o even though we aren't married looks views me as his wife. All together we are a happy little family we have our son on the way and all. Marriage doesn't make you family either. ☺

• Meant to say me and my s/o

• She's my wife and the mother of our son.
    How could she not be family?

• It depends how long we've been together.

• Yes I do and that shouldn't bother me if all is well.

• Yes I do and that would bother me.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't consider them family, until they are family. Once you're married, they're family, before that, they're like a close friend. I wouldn't go out of my way to make them feel bad or excluded, that's just cruel. But I'm not going to invite them to family events or like, a family event at my grandparents because they're not family yet. If it helps him propose sooner, all the better. But I'd have *a lot* of different family gatherings & he would be invited to most.

• Unless you have kids together, no I don't think you have to become part of or even get along with each other's families. It's nice if you do, but won't always work out that way. Of course if you do have kids, you have to at least make an effort because grandparents/aunts/uncles on both sides will want to be a part of their lives.

• Well technically yes:
    A family:
    Father
    Mother
    Children

• yes they are my family

• I do consider him to be my family and luckily he considers me to be his. If he didn't, it would bother me a lot.