What is your relationship with your mother?

My mother and I do not get along. She always starts fights with me and then twists the story around to my dad. Sometimes she even takes my money without asking me first. She just does things that make me feel like she doesn't care. She has constantly ignored my thoughts, feelings, etc. but she praises the grounded my sister walks on. Weird thing is, my sister was a 16-and-pregnant high-school-dropout. It's my senior year and she isn't even proud of the scholarship offers I've gotten. She's not excited about my graduating or about my academic success. My sister lived with her until she was 27 and my mother told me once I graduate, I have to move out.

I'm just Christie if anyone else's mother is like this?
I'm 17 and she's 52.

1615

Most Helpful Guy

• I was a mommy's boy, I loved my mom to bits. The relationship now is a lot different, I haven't talked to her for 11 years, mainly because she's worm food. I remember her teaching my sisters how to make cloth dolls, or when school was over how I'd go to her classroom, just to play while she cleaned up.

• That's sweet, and I'm glad you had that. I was adopted by my now parents, my real mother is dead.

• Thanks, it must be tough, I was an adult well in my early 20's when she passed. I didn't see it coming and remember almost everything about her. I wonder what she would have thought about my wife.

• I have dreams of her sometimes still. I just started my senior year and she has been more supportive in my dreams than my new mother has in real life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I love my mother very much. I don't necessarily think we have a bad relationship, though there are many downsides to it. She does start a lot of fights with me and is very controlling, even though I don't live with her anymore. She calls me a whore and a slut pretty regularly just because she flips out and thinks that's what's going to hurt me more but nah, not true so I can brush it off. The true things she uses to hurt me are a lot worse. Buuuut even if she does hurt me a lot, I still love her so much, she's my mother and I can't help but adore her.

• I'm glad that you can still have a positive outlook and adore your relationship. I think it's a little late for mine, after everything she has said/done.

What Guys Said 14

• i haven't spoken to my mother in 20 years. I have no intention of changing that now.

• My relationship with my mother is normal.

It seems like your mother resents you or blames you for something that is not your fault.

• My dad and my brother have both told me that. My brother thinks she treats me this way because she is "being strict" to keep me from making the mistakes my sister made. But I'm adopted so I also am not really her child. My dad was the one who wanted to adopt me most.

• "My dad was the one who wanted to adopt me most"

Thats why she is angry at you and treats you the way she does. It's not right.

• I hate to look at it that way, but you're probably right.

• It's great. There isn't much that we don't talk about.

• Me and my mother are good ☺️💕

• I have a pretty good relationship with my mom, but my dad? not really good, he once got scammed by his friend from his hometown and lost over 100K $ and recently he dragged me into another scam where I lost 5000$ smh , I ll never trust him again

• it's the same as mine

• Could you explain?

• me and my mother hate each other she doesn't understand me and she told me that she has no interest in understanding me I like videogames anime and romantic films and she wants me to change to become an "average" boy who likes playing and watching football who always has a girlfriend and who hates romantic films and because of that we fight a lot and my dad either is two faced or neutral when it happens she also said I have to move out when I turn 18 whether or not I have a job or a place to stay it sucks

• I relate with you so much. Except, I am the athlete kid. I have a boyfriend, a great one. And I try my best to make her happy but she just hates me.

• I love my mother because she is my mother but I also hate her. She's manipulative and hateful

• That's the same situation with me.. I try so hard to love her but she constantly puts me down and says she hates me, I'm worthless, etc.

• I will have all A's and my GPA is a 3.9 but when she talks to my family or her friends she says I'm the bad child and that I'm failing my classes. But I'm the better child academically.

• At this point all I can say is it's a good thing that you are nearly an adult. Get as far from your mixed-up mother as you can. I would ignore the fact that she exists after you leave.

• Pretty shit, nowadays. She's a drunken cow.

• is good, as good as relationship between crocodile and a deer.
    but its family...

• I actually have a good relationship with my mother. Sometimes Though I feel how you do about parents not being proud of you but in the end I think deep down she loves you

• I keep thinking about this overtime now and it makes me upset... know one should have to go through what you are going through because your parents should at least be supportive... How did it get so heated though? Can you also do me a favor and answer one of my questions to because Im going through troubled times as well? Just know I will try and give you any advice you need

• she is death

• You need to fix it. She is your mom

• She is my adoptive mom. My real mom died when I was young. My adoptive dad was more the one wanting to adopt me. She wasn't really for it, but she did it for him. She now treats me terribly. If I try to talk to her, she pretends I'm not there.

• ^ thank you. that's what I was thinking. I try not to argue with her and to do whatever she asks. But she lies about me, takes my money, goes through my things when I'm not home, etc. she will call or text me 24/7 asking where I am when she knows where I am. Then she will say I snuck out. She grounded me for a month, a week before prom literally just because I asked when we could go buy the boutonnière for my boyfriend.

• @goddess87 somtimes it's beyond what you can do and profession help is needed

• She's dead. She disowned me in her will. I could tell a lot more.

• My real mother died when I was young. I was adopted. And this adoptive mother is the one who treats me this way

• Don't think she ever congratulated me when I got my degrees.

• I'm sorry about that. Congrats to you though!!! I hope your life is wonderful

• Estranged.

What Girls Said 15

• My relationship with my mom is pretty much the same as yours. Chances are she's jealous of your or some how feels threatened by you. Usually it's looks and age that causes all the insecurity. My mom kicked me out a couple times. She may not say so but I know she misses me when I'm gone and that might be the same for you.

• I'm thinking of cutting her off and seeing if she reaches out to me first.

• I guess. But you should just focus on cutting her off in general. She seems very toxic and you need to get away from her if you want to get far it life.

• I agree.

• my relationship with my mother is good luckily

• My relationship is fine with my mom, sometimes we have moments but for the most part it's good. May be she's jealous of you in some sort of way

• I'm not sure. My dad and I get along much better than my mother and I. My dad has always been the nicer one of the two, but ever since I started driving and having a job, she's been crazier.

• then its definitely jealousy or sadness that you are no longer dependent on her. Mom's hate to see their kids grow up sometimes.

• It's crap ☠💩

• My mom and I get along great but she bullies me when she gets drunk. Luckily she doesn't get drunk much.

• Sorry but I'm on the bright side, you won't have to live with her much longer.

• When I was younger we didn't always get on, we'd argue and say things we both didn't mean (I had v bad anger issues), but now as I'm older I appreciate her a lot more and we argue probably once a year now

• She can be better. Like the nice and caring moms in the movies and tv shows.

• Talk to her & tell her exactly what you put up here. See what she says, if she refuses or switches things around on you then just try to focus on school & the good stuff happening in your life, you're blessed.

• Kinda on the same boat as you. My mom just doesn't care about me or my sister's feelings. I'm moving as soon as I can.

• Definitely it's difficult on you're own bills and financial obligations are not fun and costly.

• Blugh, adulting seems hard. I'll figure it out though. Thanks for the tips!

• You're welcome. Good luck with your home situation.

• Read the mom factor by Townsend and

• Cloud. I Have mom issues and I am slowly drifting away from her.

• it's gotten worse since she married my stepdad

• I always felt like the forgotten child, the mythical middle child, but now I know she loves me and would do anything for me and my siblings. She has a couple of flaws, but she also has this naivety about her and a greater and warmer heart than I will ever have.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
    I can say that from a teenager's point of view, everything always seems worse than it actually is.
    How long have you been living with your adoptive parents though?

• Since I was 2.

• That is longer than I thought.
      My suggestion is that you continue your relationship with her and being respectful, but try to live your life based on your own expectations from now on (granted you have some decent ones) and stop trying too hard to impress your mother. That won't happen. There's nothing you can do to make her recognize you, that has to come out of her own love. Can't force these things.

• it's pretty good. we get along a lot better now that i have moved out and don't really need her that much

• some people make very poor parents. best thing to do is not go crazy this year and when you turn 18 cut ties