Why do people give partners their passwords?

I have often heared of and read that a lot of people give their passwords to their partners. In my opinion, this is not a sign of trust but rash and could cause more problems than it is supposed to prevent. However, what do you think about this? Have you ever given your passwords away and why?

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend and I have each others passwords because we borrow each others electronic devices and help each other with stuff. We are a team, and we trust each other. We don't snoop on each other and we're not hiding anything, so sharing that info is merely practical.

Anything that we don't help each other with, like financial accounts or health stuff, we have not shared passwords for.

What Girls Said 16

• Eh, my boyfriend and I have the same phone passcode because we're usually watching things on our phones together. He also knows my password for pretty much everything because I usually use variations of the same one. He hardly uses anything that requires a password.

• My partner has my passwords because I know he doesn't use them to snoop on me. I'm the one that freely gave them to him because I wanted him to log on and do something for me on some accounts and I generally keep the same password even though I know that's a sucky idea. He also doesn't have a phone of his own so he uses mine if he needs to and it makes sense for him to have the password rather than ask me for it every time. Besides, all of my close friends know my phone password, it's not something that I keep private. Him knowing my passwords hasn't caused any issues for us, he can sneak around and spy on me if he wanted, point is he has no interest in doing that. It's less about having your partner's password and more about what you intend to do with it.

• We both use the same password almost everywhere, so we haven't shared ours. I don't see any point. I know people do it to show trust, but I think it's just ridiculous. I don't need to get into my boyfriend's accounts to trust him.

• That's what trust is about im my opinion. Trust = not controlling and standing behind this by all means.

• How do you think about this

• I don't really get it. This sounds very. . . paranoid, but I haven't let anyone know my passwords. Not even my brother

• Why is this then paranoid? You do not share your passwords and I think you understand my point.

• Haha absolutely.
      One of my brothers once went through my WhatsApp Contacts and left me with ridiculous started Chats with a lot of irritated girls. It was hilarious what some of them sent back

• Lmao thats what i did to my brother on whatsapp too. He got me back and that ONE time i left my phone unlocked he messaged everyone 😂😂

• I don't know I guess they give passwords in case something happens to them so that way their loved one has access for certain emergency and such or they just give their password cause they feel like keeping passwords creates trust issues within the relationship. Maybe in the pass and old they were with a partner they did trust but had no idea they were keeping certain things away from them cause they did not tell and two had passwords so their spouse wouldn't find out. Honestly I don't have any of my boyfriends passwords and he doesn't have mind either, mainly cause we just don't care to have them.. so eh.

• I trust him not to go through my personal stuff, and sometimes if our hands are tied we need to log into each other's accounts and do things for one another. Also we share a Netflix account :)

• I've shared some unimportant passwords with my partners before like browsergames or stuff like that, but I wouldn't give them my phone/email/IM passwords. Not a chance, lol, that's none of their business.

• I know my boyfriends phone password and he knows mine but we will never snoop on each other.

• What is the point then? Knowing you could control him but both agree on not doing it? That's mindfuck

• Sometimes I need to use his internet or make a call. And sometimes he does same with mine.

• I don't even give myself my password!

• Yeah when I was like a teenager.. Now it's not that important. But at the same time I woudn't care if they saw anything. I have nothing to hide. I do know this one guy who is very flirty (he's like that with EVERY chick and no we were never involved) and is often asking for photos (I dont send them nor do I even talk to him that much anymore) or sending me ones... My ex and I used to make fun of him. One time he asked me for a nude so I sent him one.. of my ex 😂 With his blessing of course.

• I don't give anyone my password, not even my parents

• I think it's lame

• My girlfriend knows the password to my PC, but that's about it. ... And she figured out the password herself. I mean, it's literally her name.

• I wouldn't give them my password but if they found out what it was I would just trust that they wouldn't do anything they shouldn't do

• He gave me his passwords so he won't forget, but I'm not really planning on doing anything besides two-step verification is a thing

• I have never gave my husband my password before

What Guys Said 18

• Married - yes. Dating - no.
    Depends on the level of trust.

I always say, trust but verify. :)

• Well the reason why people give the passwords to others is because they trust them because either they are a good friend or family member. But personally I don't give the password to anyone. But if I do I always change my password instantly. I always have two step authentication activated just in case they try messing with my security questions or whatever. I think it's bad that people give passwords to other people.

• I haven't and won't. I think being in relationship means sharing somethings not all. I want to retaing my personality even after marriage and want the same for my wife.

• It's a sign of trust. If you can't trust your partner with your passwords, ask why? Why can't you trust them with it? 99 tomes out of 100, it's because you or them are hiding something. That isn't healthy at all...

• Trust = not need to controll and even though standing behind your partner and his/her actions. That's my opinion and I think letting them be how they want to is a lot more healthy. No need to rethink that

• (Long term short) Remember this: People often have things that cannot or shouldn't be shared in order to keep the relationship healthy.
      That is what I try to tell you.

• Alright I got you

• My wife knows the password system that I use, I don't hide anything from her.

• To troll them.

• To give them a sense of control

• For more transparancy.

• Cause they are stupid and aren't fully aware of the dangerous of computer security.

• Because I am living with someone who I can't trust with my password?

• I would never.

• Sorry but you seem confused about what trust means...

• Everyone has things to hide. Otherwise we would post anything on facebook, not only the good photos or stuff we can brag about or such. And keeping things private, especially in front of loved ones is sometimes better than sharing what shouldn't be shared.
      But as much personas that are out there, as much opinions on privacy are out there.

• Good point...

• Well, yeah dude... I did give my password to a girlfriend once. Well, bad decision bruh. She flipped for no reason. I'd say password is too personal a thing. Better keep it to yourself.

• Yes lol it probably lead to more problems

• Yeaht, it sounds dumb to me...

• I really don't know.

I never give nobody (no matter who it is) my password.

• My partner and i have trust in eachother so it doesn't matter

• my girlfriend and I had a HUGE fight over this actually. She wanted the password to my computer and I said no. (I have other stuff saved, you get my comp password, you could easily log into my bank and stuff).

She started to get paranoid, thinking that I must be hiding stuff. (Well, I DO have plenty of nudes of ex's that she probably wouldn't approve of, but come on! I earned those!)

Anyway, I made a guest account on my computer that isn't password protected, she can use it any time now, and my stuff is hidden. I guess she kinda just gave up on getting to me and its still a sore subject.

• Lol, you have nudes of exes? ... what are theses for? ... a lonely night? Lol 😂