What would you do if your s/o began to "let themselves go"?

Personally I understand that in life... shit happens. That is why if a girlfriend of mine started letting herself go I would try and figure out what is weighing on her mental and emotional health that is causing her physical health to deteriorate as well.

Then try and help her and give her support. But I would only withstand being there for so long, till I just give up if I notice that she isn't even trying at all to help herself.

179

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on how much they have let themselves go, and why. It would take a lot for me to actually leave. But if they were no longer the person I feel in love with, especially in terms of behavior, personality, and mental state, then I probably would.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 16

• Both my husband and I have brought this up with the other at some point in our relationship. It's not nice to hear, but when said with kindness and love it just is what it is and we start to put in more effort

• I would do the same thing as you suggestion here. I would offer my boyfriend some support and try to gain access into his mind and life, asking what is going on.
    If he was still reluctant to accept any help, and his mental state became worse, I'd probably take him to see a doctor or a psychiatrist for some mental health help. Life gets challenging, we deal with ups and downs constantly, and sometimes its just too much.

• I'd just tell him and help him get back on track. We're both pretty active and we let eachother know when we're feeling sluggish or heavy, so I wouldn't feel too scared to just express some concern.

• Same, I would give him my support and help him as much as I could. As long as I'm mentally and emotionally stable I would give it all.

• Well when I'm super down I mostly stay by myself and have a little pitty party for a few days and then try to move on.
    Based on that, I would listen to him, try to help with the problem as far as I can, be there when he needs me and also if he needs to, give him space to think and just be down or whatever he needs to do, always ready to help him if he would need me and then I would expect him to get up and learn to deal with the situation.
    Like you said shit happens, the world moves on, also life goes on.
    If he can't pick himself up the hell I'm going to kick his stupid ass.

• I've been married for 11yrs and my husband has let himself go but I haven't.
    I do wish that he would look after himself a bit better.

• Well it's good that you're at least trying to figure out what the problem was. Whether it be stress related or just not eating right.
    I would basically just encourage them to eat with you and eat healthier meals and make it a journey for both of you to try and work out together, that way they don't feel alone and you both do something positive

• Such a caring approach. My first thought was 'Give me 20, maggot!'
    Like I already check up on my brother every week to see if he's still going to the gym.

• I have boundaries. Keep self clean, decently dressed. Weight doesn't really concern meπŸ€·πŸΎβ€β™€οΈ chubby or average is fine. Chubby is cuddly af anyway😍
    Becoming legit obese is a big no no... I would remind them of my GENEROUS perimeters and help out where I could.

• Same I would try to see wtf is happening within themselves that's making them go this route and throw subtle hints at the same time like get it together lol

• I'd motivate him to get his life back on the right track.

• This happened with me and my boyfriend I tried everything and he just wanted somebody to listen it helped

• Depression.

• Never let go

• If I saw him struggling in any way I would want to help him.

• Honestly all the boyfriends I've had ALWAYS let them selves go. It never bothered me though. They just stopped trying and loved being lazy instead. The only thing I really hated was how much they complained about it and didn't do anything.

• That's usually how it goes, once the honeymoon phase ends. That's it

• Exactly, here's how I see it. The way you are when the person came into your life is what attracted them to you in the first place. Secondly why let yourself go? If anything improve your life

• You worded that perfectly πŸ‘ŒπŸ™‚

What Guys Said 8

• Have a framk conversation. Be blunt. Admit that if theu dont try you're leaving. You deserve to be happy.

• I expect them to take care of themselves for as long as I'm doing it myself.

• A good partner would definitely be expected to provide support in whatever way the situation seems to call for. But I agree that if you're putting in all the effort in over time and they don't do what they need to to make those positive changes for themself, you did what you could and would be justified in leaving.

• Cheat

• Lmao. You are literally the most unhelpful person I've seen here. πŸ˜‚

• I don't think cheating solves the problem lol leaving them for the same reason does

• I fucking love Courage but I also hate him πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Id make going to the gym a regular activity for us, somthing we'd enjoy doing together

• Give him space but not too much, focus on your own goals and hopefully you'll inspire him to grow a pair and man up. If he's letting himself go physically than you should lead by example

• I did that recently and was there for her all the time. In return she cheated on me and blamed me for it.

• Try fattening up even faster than her