Do you think age matters in a relationship?

842

Most Helpful Guy

• It is individual choice. You can decide your opinion based on this points.

Why Age Doesn’t Matter

1. Your sex life. An older lover can teach you a lot and maybe even match your stamina. If the sexual chemistry is there, it’s there regardless of the age gap.

2. Meeting family. Your dad was going to grill whoever it was that you brought home for Christmas, so your older partner might do better than the last six sweethearts since he might have more in common with your parents.

3. Financial stability. Hopefully, both you and your older partner are financially stable. However, even if you’re not (or she’s not) as longer as you’re not dependent on the other for getting your bills paid then it won’t add strain to your relationship.

4. Politics. If you disagree with someone’s politics, it doesn’t mean that you’re not attracted to them. In this case, you have options. You can engage in a lively debate on topics you care about in hopes of swaying your boyfriend with your young idealism, or you can agree to disagree.

5. Living together. You’re still going to have to figure out the important things, like if you sleep with the window open or closed or if you put the lid back on the toothpaste, but once you get the essentials figured out, the age gap won’t even factor into it.

6. Common interests. These are shared regardless of age, which is probably why you were attracted to this person in the first place. Enjoy these and find more together!

7. Social media. Non-millennials (as in people over 40) are all over all the social media these days. It’s the teenagers and all their new-fangled apps that I can’t keep up with. Also, if your partner isn’t super plugged in, maybe that will help you unplug a little too, which might not be a bad thing.

Why Age DOES Matter

1. Children. If your partner feels like they’re too old to have kids and you want them, this can be a deal breaker. From his perspective, it can already be challenging to be mistaken for your partner’s dad, and being confused for your kid’s grandparent is just as bad, if not worse.

2. Friends. If their friends are mostly their age, this could be alienating for you. If it’s important to you to be friends with your partner’s friends, then try to find common ground.

• 3. Emotional awareness. Some older adults act like children, and some younger adults are very emotionally mature. That being said, wherever you and your partner are in terms of your self-awareness, you still have to be supportive of each other’s process as you learn and grow together.

4. Activities. If your partner has health issues or is just less carefree than he was at your age, then action adventurous dates might be a no go. It depends how important having an active lifestyle with your partner is to you. This could be the area where you have healthy, separate interests. Or he could be totally into skydiving and skiing just like you – you never know!

5. Marriage. Your darling might have had a starter marriage that didn’t go so well, but at least that divorce is working out for the best because now the two of you are together. However, if you’re dreaming of wedding bells and white dresses, and he’s not interested in going down that road again, then you’ve got a large problem.

• 4d

Thanks for selecting my opinion as most helpful opinion. 😊🇮🇳

Most Helpful Girl

• Under 10 years is not bad, 15-30 is kinda pushing it. I'm not referring to the love part by the way... the older person is losing it, slowing down and will most likely die first. Who wants to spend another two decades back in square 1?

What Guys Said 41

• The most important thing is maturity, and that differs from individual to individual, at all ages. I'm 38, and I once dated a 19 year old a few years back, and it was one of the worst dating experiences I ever had - she had the maturity of a retarded 5 year old, and she was a spoiled princess on top of it. The sex was good, though.

That being said, I look very young for my age - even though I'm 38 I often get told I look in my early or mid 20s and have no wrinkles, and ideally I wouldn't like to date a girl in her late 30s if she's one of those thirtysomething girls that look like they lived hard and fast, and their face is now bloated and full of wrinkles. I want a girl that looks as young as I do, whether that means she's actually in her 20s, or in her 30s but just looks youthful like myself. Realistically that means I should date a twentysomething girl, but she would have to be mature for her age, because at this point in my life I have no time or patience for immature girls no matter how hot they are or how good the sex is.

• Darling, you don't look like you are in your 20s. Most people aren't good at guessing the real age

• You lied about your age though...

• @thenewgirlll No, I made a mistake in signing up, and don't know how to change it to my real age. I've thought about deleting this account and creating a new one, since I have to keep explaining my real age, but I really don't want to start over from scratch as an xper level 1 user, you know?

• It all depends. Suppose your 20 and he is 25 that's totally okay but If he is 30 and you're 17, I think that would be frowned upon. The rule of thumb is take the age who is oldest in the relationship, divide it by 2 and add 7.
    Ex. I'm 20
    20÷2=10
    10+7=17
    Therefore I can date someone who is 17.

• Depends- if there is a significant age gap, it's much more likely to be a factor, or if both are very young. A lot of times, though, age is blamed when it's really other facets of the couple that matter, e. g., maturity, personal values, and expectations.

• Yes absolutely, what does that say about the mentality of say a 40 year old dating say a 19 year old? Why can't he relate to women even ten years younger then himself.

• yes it does matter when it comes to teens under the age of 18. but if its two people 18+ and there's a big age difference then it shouldn't matter but if ones 35 and one is 16 yeah thats fucked up

• Depends on the age difference

• Absolutely. You don’t want to be with someone immature because they will have a hard time handling the responsibilities of a relationship.

• Yes, But its one of many factors.

• Yess there is limits..

• yes i think sometimes in a long lasting relationship age matters. if you are in open relationship then doesn't matter but in monogamous relationship it matters.
    according to me girl should be younger than boy. say a girl of 35 years marry to a guy of 25 years . initially it is okay but 10 year latter girls lose libido but guy have it till minimum 55 year age so for satisfying his needs he will cheat and when girl find it tit may lead to serious consequences..

• I think it does to a point and depends on the ages. And of course there is the legal age thing.

• 100% if you intend on having a family (biological clocks and all)

Just looking for love and romance and not offspring? Doesn't matter as long as it's legal

• It depends. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Just my opinion.

• More than you can imagine

• Yes big time

• Depends on how much difference. If you're just looking to fuck, it don't matter, as long as it is legal. But if you want a relationship, it depends on the people. Every potential couple is different.

• It really depends on both parties and how developmentally set they are. It can be something harmless, or it can be something they'll both come to regret. There's of course a limit, but really being sheltered until you're like 16 isn't healthy given the modern education curriculum explores sexual curiosity around 12. So really, age isn't much of a factor but there are more that would play into it.

• As long as there is a certain maturity level met on either end. Then it's whatever it is. You vibe with people and have a connection you're set.

• It's a personal preference as long as you are in it for the right reasons

• Yes, 13 year olds shouldn't date 97 year olds.

• i don't..

• Love is love

• nope

• Age doesn't matter in love.

• If both people are mature enough to understand that a relationship isn't a game I don't think so tbh

• No age is just number

• Yes. To relate to someone, it helps greatly to be in a similar place, timewise.

• As long as its legal than I don't think so

• No unless someone is too old or too young

• More from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 7

• Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

• Yes, it might not at the start or always but it will be an issue at times.

• Yes it does. I only date guys in the age group 21-26

• Depends on how old the youngest person is. If you are 19 and he's 29, it's not that deep. It will be difficult because you are both in different stages of life, but if that's what you want, go for it. After you turn 18 (especially 21) anything goes.

• Nope not at all

• Not really of course it has its cons if the age gap is big.
    but love is love in my opinion.

• No it doesn't matter