Please HELP... Can I really trust him in this type of situation? Is he really ready to settle down?

Okay so I am in a new relationship with someone. During this time some very drastic changes took place. My boyfriend lost his job and apartment. So his finances are not great at this point. I don't have my own place at this time and I am living with my mother helping her out. She has extremely old fashioned values. So as far as him spending the night is completely out of the question. So right now he is homeless. I let him sleep on my mother's property in his car for about a week, but right now it is so cold. His ex girlfriend offered him to sleep there at night. So he has been sleeping at her house for about 2 nights now. However, at first he lied to me and told me it was his aunt's house. He then said he's only doing it because he has no where else to go and he would stay with me if he could but my mom won't allow it. So of course I don't like the idea of him staying with his ex but I don't want him out in the cold either. He says once his money kicks in he will be getting his own place and wants me to move in with him. I don't know if I can trust this though. For this woman to be giving him a place to live and money something else must be going on. Now I know she knows about me, but I don't know what he is telling her. Is he telling us both whatever he thinks we want to hear? He says he is not having sex with her etc. During the day he spends the majority of his time with me and my two kids, and the money she gives him he spends it on us. I am celibate at this time so me and him are not having sex. He knows exactly what I am looking for in a relationship. I am not trying to hold him down or stop him from doing anything. So he knows he's more than free to leave, but he's choosing to stay. He says he wants a serious relationship and wants a wife. He says he is ready to revoke his players card for me. I'm not so sure if he's serious though. What to think about all of this? Thank you!
1
1