What is your opinion on promise rings?

My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year now. We are both still in college with him getting his master's and me getting my bachelor's. We both have about 2 years left and then plan on moving to Texas together. I love the idea of a promise ring but I feel as if my boyfriend would be the type to think getting a girl a ring should only happen if they are getting engaged. How do I bring this up without making it seem like he has to get me one because ultimately I want it to be his idea and not mine.

1627

Most Helpful Guy

• Okay so... from a guy's perspective, as you've read, most of us think it's super lame. Like on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the "holy shit balls that's lame," i think a solid 9.

That being said, in a relationship, it's not always about what you want. I got a promise ring for my girlfriend (now wife) just to set her mind at ease. She knew how dumb i thought it was, but i did it anyway because it put her mind at ease... and she finally shut the hell up about it.

So if all else fails, badger, nag, annoy your way to the top

• I can't stand being a nag lol. Like I hear myself say something naggy and apologize immediately because I'm his girlfriend, not his mother lol. And yeah it's lame to guys but like I said in another comment I am the kind of girl who needs reassurance because of my dating past so something like a promise ring would help me feel more secure in our relationship. Also, my boyfriend isn't the greatest at expressing his emotions so it would be nice to just hear how he feels about me.

• My wife and i are the same: i don't express emotion well and she needs attention and such. She had to sit me down and explain how she felt and why she felt a promise ring would help. I saw it through her eyes and i went out and got her a nice, nothing crazy expensive, promise ring. Maybe try that. Get him to understand your perspective.

Most Helpful Girl

• I asked my boyfriend how he felt about rings. I made sure he wasn’t uncomfortable with the idea of me giving him one. I let him pick it out, so I could get a matching one. He really loves it. So ask him if that would be an acceptable gift and if it would make him uncomfortable. You can ask what styles and colors he likes and if he likes detailed stuff (my boyfriend has a black tungsten ring with an opal stripe in the middle). It makes it special because it comes from you and you both put time into it