What are your thoughts on an open relationship? Are you for or against them?

I have recently agreed to try an open relationship with my best friend. Well when I say best friend our friend is a very different to most. Our reasoning is because like each other but we don’t want to be settled as such so we agreed to this and I’m wondering what are your opinions on the whole thing. What are your thoughts on an open relationship? Are you for or against them?
  • Against (think they are stupid)
    Vote A
  • Don’t have an issue with them
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm currently in one, its been great so far but if you do try it, communication is always key. I've been in the open relationship for all of about 2 months with my buddy and my girlfriend, I've been with my girlfriend for well over 2 years.

For me it's like I love my girlfriend, she loves me, she loves my buddy, my buddy loves me and I like him as a friend. So far in this experience, I've found out that I'm not bisexual, just straight.

But other than that its been really fun but can be stressful at times as I have to say things carefully for two people instead of one.
    Good luck.

1|1
    2|1

Most Helpful Girl

• An open relationship is not a relationship.
    A relationship is supposed to offer stability, if there isn't even stability on which people you are with how is it even a relationship?
    "Open" and "relationship" are Oxymorons.

0|4
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 26

• Their a good way to be self destructive and to destroy relationships. Your basically training your self to not handle intimate relationships. Your not required to work through problems because you can just get intimacy elsewhere, your conditioning your brain to feel a reward from sex, especially sex with others, rather then a commited relationship and your ruining your future. Their is a reason why statistically the more partners you have the more likely you are to cheat/divorce, be unhappy in long term relationships, get depression/anxiety issues etc. Statistically those who are socially liberal have more sex then socialy conservative people, yet the socially conservative people report higher levels of satisfaction not just with their sex lives but with their relationships as well. Your training yourself to have non commited relationships, not commited ones and eventually this will back fire for you, probably later in life as most men will also be against marrying and starting a family with a woman who was like this (its not exactly benefical to them (as previously stated), its not really seen as wife/mother material).

0|1
    0|0
  • An open relationship is a fake one. That's fine if you don't really care about your partner, but harbor no illusions. When someone does start to care, jealousy creeps in and it all comes tumbling down. So you either jump ship when she starts to actually like you or you have to grow up. One of the two.

2|0
    1|0
  • I'm not against them for other people, but I would never be in one. Everyone relationship is different. So if someone is in one, I wouldn't judge, but it's not something I would ever desire. I think you might as well be single.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm neither for nor against. But if I ever did get into one, the woman should clearly know that we are only having sex as long as this relationship lasts. So that 6 months in there wouldn't be any "do you even love me?" talk because we both know why most people agree to such relationships. To fuck around. So, if you don't have a problem about a relationship going nowhere, then lets fuck like there's no tomorrow.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a no from me. Don't like sharing my girl or food.

2|2
    1|0
  • I don't know, starting to consider them. I'm getting bored of the idea of "monogamy" tbh. It just seems to lead to disaster 99% of the time

1|0
    1|1
  • Against. If you want to fuck whoever you want, stay single. Don't ask for an open relationship, that your partner will accept only because of the fear of losing you.

1|2
    0|0
  • i'm amazed that 38% of people in this website really has no problem with poligamy... really? what are all of you, muslims? or is this the common mentality of north americans/europeans? wtf

0|1
    0|1
    • Notice the ones who are okay with it are mainly guys. THAT is the common mentality in America which is shitty and why so many girls end up fucked over.

Guys get fucked over too as you can see many are not okay with it but I was making a point

• @SanHoloz omg... US is so fucked up then.. and I read a lot that US is a "wonderful land" and other magnificent adjectives to that country... now I can understand a bit more why Trump's slogan was to make America great again... because right now it seems that country sucks

• Lol no. In the past it has been worse for minorities and women so "make america great again" is essentially saying for the white male.

• I've lived an open relationship for 4 years. It's harder than it seems and not everyone is able to do that

0|0
    0|0
    • Really what is it like?

• First, I started this relationship with my girlfriend. When you're easy with sex, you think it will be ok for you to met your SO have sex with another one. First thing, even when you know she loves you more than even, it's fucking difficult when she say "I'm going to be fucked see you in 1 hour". This hour is quite long trust me, everything goes though your head and you have to manage it. It was the same with her when I went to another girl's place. And after that you have to managethe fact that you don't know what they tell to each other during those moments. Finally, but it's more on men side, it's really hard to find a girl who accepts that you're in a couple and just want to fuck. I often had to lit about it or hide it, because it was rare that she understood our relarionship. It's a resume

• Communication is very important in such relationships

1|0
    0|1
  • No thanks. You do you, but I would never agree to that.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not voting b/c it really depends on the rules, situations, etc.

You and your friend are starting a relationship and decided for it to be open, yes? There's no 3rd party yet? That you know of at least? What are the communication rules? Protection rules? What do you tell the 3rd person? Is it only 1 person each you can see? etc etc.

I actually just got out (I guess?) of being the outsider of an open marriage. At first she said "treat me like a girl you're dating, just know we can't get married or pregnant." Then a few days when I asked for her to bake me cookies, she said "that's something couples do, isn't it?" And a couple times I'd try to get her to say if there are other people she's seeing besides me and her husband, but she never answered. It was just all confusing and shady.

So i'd say it's ok as long as the ground rules are set for ALL parties involved and communication is there. But if you're just haphazardly doing it, then nah.

0|0
    0|0
    • See this is why it wouldn't work/often doesn't. You have a right to know how many people she is sleeping with given she is married and your health is at risk. Her not telling you and being shady when the relationship is defined as open is completely stupid and immature. Not to mention the idea of protection. Say she was with you and two other guys plus her husband then her husband was with three women and her that is 8 people ALL putting a lot of trust in those two to ALWAYS use protection and I doubt her and her husband would use a condom so that is gross to me. Even if there were less involved but there could be more, too much risk.

Its weird you asked her to bake you cookies and I wouldve been turned off by that unless she has some special cookie or something BUT her response about that being coupley is off to me. If you were in an open relationship and not just a fuckbuddy then you would be a couple just a nonmonogomous one

• @SanHoloz lol, well i didn't ask out of the blue. Her baking skills were a topic of discussion for some time and we were texting while she was baking and I just threw it out there, playfully.

• Ohh haha okay sorry I just imagined you straight up asking. Something like that happened to me once so I think I just projected a little.

• Just as long as you're not the one who catches feels lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Not for me.

1|2
    0|0
  • They seem fun, I hope you enjoy it:)

2|0
    1|0
  • Not my cup of tea

1|2
    0|0
  • I'm ok with it

1|0
    0|1
  • I dont think it ever works

0|2
    0|0
  • Against

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't have any issues

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 10

• Not for it myself, as i'm only interested in monogamy but i don't care what other people do.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’d never be in one, but I don’t care what other people do. If it makes them happy, that’s fine by me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't really have an issue with them but I'd never be a part of one myself

1|1
    0|0
  • For, and would have one if my partner was okay with it, and I'd be okay with her having an open relationship too.

1|0
    0|1
  • They're 100% okay as long as everyone is happy and communicates their boundaries and needs.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am against it. There is no point of having a relationship if is an open one.

0|2
    0|0
    • exactly what's the point of having commitment with 2 guys? commitment implies an exclusive relationship. in the near future, people may start thinking in group relationships...

• Hell no. Big issue for me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't mind doing it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t mind. It’s better to fuck anyone u want but still love your S/O unconditionally

2|1
    1|3
  • Agreed to or not it is still cheating so they are stupid

1|4
    3|2

Recommended myTakes