Would you date someone who has different religion from yours?

• I would
  • I wouldn't
  • Religion? It ain't matter for me
    Vote C

1934

Most Helpful Guy

• I have and I still would.
    As long as she doesn't shove some specific values down my throat and accepts that I may live according to my (secular) values, yes. And in turn, I understand that her religious beliefs may bring her to act in certain ways or have some specific views on certain topics, informed by her religion.
    I used to joke with my Buddhist girlfriend that in her next life, when she gets reborn, we cannot be together again, because I only get one life while she has an infinite number of lives.

• What values/worldview will you teach your kids? Your way or hers?
      You know, values kinda seem like something a couple should agree on at the VERY least, don't you think?

• She didn't want kids.
      As for a hypothetical future, I would want to teach the kids to judge for themselves. So, given my scientific background, I would certainly equip them with tools to evaluate ideas. But I wouldn't force atheism onto them. And I wouldn't want my partner to force her religion on them either.
      You seem to think that some ideas in particular (tied to a specific religion) should be indoctrinated into the kids. I don't. A child can perfectly trace his way into the world without being subject to religious dogma.
      For the record, do you have any example of some value that a child should have from one religion and not compatible with a different world view?

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh yeah of course. I’d be wanting to be with the person because I love them and they treat me right, rather than date someone just because they’re of the same religion. I’m Jewish and my guy is Catholic (his family follow a different religion) yet he and I are made for each other! I wouldn’t change him or want him to change. In my opinion, our future children would benefit from knowing two different religions first hand. They’d be exposed to many different things because he and I are culturally different. Everyone is different though!