Would you date someone who has different religion from yours?

• I would
    Vote A
  • I wouldn't
    Vote B
  • Religion? It ain't matter for me
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I have and I still would.
    As long as she doesn't shove some specific values down my throat and accepts that I may live according to my (secular) values, yes. And in turn, I understand that her religious beliefs may bring her to act in certain ways or have some specific views on certain topics, informed by her religion.
    I used to joke with my Buddhist girlfriend that in her next life, when she gets reborn, we cannot be together again, because I only get one life while she has an infinite number of lives.

0|0
    0|0
    • What values/worldview will you teach your kids? Your way or hers?
      You know, values kinda seem like something a couple should agree on at the VERY least, don't you think?

• She didn't want kids.
      As for a hypothetical future, I would want to teach the kids to judge for themselves. So, given my scientific background, I would certainly equip them with tools to evaluate ideas. But I wouldn't force atheism onto them. And I wouldn't want my partner to force her religion on them either.
      You seem to think that some ideas in particular (tied to a specific religion) should be indoctrinated into the kids. I don't. A child can perfectly trace his way into the world without being subject to religious dogma.
      For the record, do you have any example of some value that a child should have from one religion and not compatible with a different world view?

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh yeah of course. I’d be wanting to be with the person because I love them and they treat me right, rather than date someone just because they’re of the same religion. I’m Jewish and my guy is Catholic (his family follow a different religion) yet he and I are made for each other! I wouldn’t change him or want him to change. In my opinion, our future children would benefit from knowing two different religions first hand. They’d be exposed to many different things because he and I are culturally different. Everyone is different though!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• That would depend upon her religion.
    Generic Christian would be okay.
    Mormon, Jehovah’s Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, or any other sect that I consider to be crazies would be a deal breaker.
    Any non-white religion, especially Islam, would also be a deal breaker.
    I had a Jewish friends with benefits for a while. That worked.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't raise a family if my wife and I couldn't even agree on how the world is ourselves. It's not good for the kids or for marriage

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually I am in talks with a Chinese girl for a very long time (1-2 years) and we didn't even bothered to know what religion we follow. So if you really REALLY love someone , that shouldn't be a tension.

0|0
    0|0
    • Actually it should be, because in order to properly raise kids you 2 have to agree on what morals/values/worldview you will teach them.

• 5d

We still very young so we are not thinking about kids, she is doing her thing in China and I am still a student here in India, so everything seems cool🤷

• I'm not religious. I wouldn't date someone who was very devout, but I wouldn't mind if she was relaxed about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i would date a girl whose religion was different from mine.

1|0
    0|1
  • It depends on how religious they are. I'd only date secular people

0|0
    1|0
  • I'd ideally prefer my partner to be an atheist or at least a non-practitioner, especially if they follow any of the Abrahamic religions.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am Christian-ush. Judaism is the farthest away I'd go, it has the same worldview pretty much.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes I would, but I'd hesitate if she's a muslim tbh

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, as long as they have high standards and the religion doesn't get in the way of a lot of things

0|0
    0|0
  • No but i wouldn't date any really religious person.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as it doesn't interfere with anything, it's fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I'm a hindu and my girl is muslim been together for 9 years

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care as long as it does not affects the relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • i would and have

0|0
    0|0
  • Date , sure. Marry, NO

2|0
    0|0
  • If she's open minded no problem

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, love knows no religion

0|1
    0|0
  • I will date, accept of Muslims, I don't like bombs

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it's forbidden in our religion

0|0
    0|0
    • What religion?

• Show All
    • It s not forbidden to marry a Jewish or Christian woman

• It's not literally Forbidden but it's not likable to marry any other religion woman and our holy book says so because it'll be harder to control and we'll just have a lot of conflicts and it may result in a divorce so it's not very good I thought about it once but then I told myself to forget about it

• Nope.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends if she's a sexy bitch.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes why not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.

0|0
    0|0
  • Religion does not matter

0|0
    0|0
  • Y not? What is your religion by the way?

0|0
    0|0
  • I already have

0|0
    0|0
  • I do

0|0
    0|0
  • I obviously would

0|0
    0|1
  • It depends on my feelings

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 18

• Me and my boyfriend have different religions and I don't mind it :) I respect his religion and he mine :)

1|1
    0|0
  • Accidentally voted wrong- I wanted to vote I wouldn't.
    I think itd be too hard to date or even marry someone with a different religion.
    His family might expect her to convert to his religion and her family might expect him to convert to her religion. Plus they wouldn't be able to worship together as one. And the religious holidays- would the couple celebrate both religions holidays or not?

1|0
    0|0
  • Dating eventualy leads into a serious relationship and if you're lucky it leads into marriage.
    Dating some with such drastically different views would cause problems. They would try to convert me and raise future children in their religion.
    Arguments would happen in the daily at a atomic level
    So no dating someone with views this different would do nothing but slowly tear us appart.

0|0
    0|0
  • My sister is a non believer and her boyfriend is muslim. She said worst thing zmshe has to think about is when his different holidays are.

I am Christian and dating a non believer, it doesn't matter to me because we don't force our views on eachother. I love him for who he is. I'd prefer if he was saved but that's all up to him and if he feels like he wants to for himself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’d rather date an atheist but as long as they understand I am not religious, never will be and will not raise my children in a religion, I’m okay with any of them really.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t care if they did, but I don’t want them trying to convert me to theirs or being closed minded because of it, I just wouldn’t want to be involved with it at all like if they wanted me to go to church or whatever.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no religion. Dating someone who is religious would only cause problems, so I wouldn't date them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would, but I probably shouldn't, so not for long. There are a lot more atheists of my type than theists unfortunately.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would, but if they try to force their religion on me then that would be a deal-breaker

0|0
    0|0
  • No because eventually we will clash and I need someone who is the same religion as me and who I can relate to...

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't. I prefer to date someone from the same religion as me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the religion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would only date an atheist

0|1
    0|0
  • I would

0|0
    0|0
  • I have & would again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the religion

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes
    Of course

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure, as long as they're respectful of my beliefs.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes