Is it wrong to give a guy my number if I have a boyfriend?

I usually don’t have male friends, so if I give a guy my number would he see that as friendship? I told him that I wanted to hang out, but since I have a boyfriend, would that be wrong? Should I tell my boyfriend about this guy that I want to be friends with?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• In scenarios like this, I find the best way to look at it is from the perspective of "if the shoe was on the other foot." So, if your boyfriend gave his number to a presumably single woman who lives in your apartment building because he wanted to hang out with her, how would you feel? What would you think?

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Be friends with whoever you want.

Just always make sure your partner isn't misconstruing the relationship and neither is the friend

1|3
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 120

• There's nothing wrong with wanting guy friends but I'd inform your boyfriend as soon as possible that you only want to be friends with him so nothing gets misconstrued! Why not have the three of you meet up somewhere so your boyfriend has a good idea of who you're meeting so he can relax in knowing he's simply your friend and nothing more.

0|4
    0|0
  • Simple, does the other guy know you have a boyfriend and have you told him that you have no interest beyond friendship. Also tell your boyfriend, it shows your honesty

0|3
    0|0
    • Not yet. 😬 i don’t want to make things weird. Is already weird for me. My boyfriend has female friends and I never met them, so I thought it was the same thing

• You don't have to meet them, he doesn't have to meet the new guy. But you know about the female friends he has and that's all that's needed. The knowledge that there are these friends

• The other guy does not know that you have a boyfriend? All he knows is that you gave him your number? He is expecting more than friendship.

How would you feel if your boyfriend did this to you?

3|3
    0|0
  • 1. "I usually don’t have male friends, so if I give a guy my number would he see that as friendship?"

I would suggest not to have male friends while in an exclusive relationship, but if you want to have then keep it just one and not more than that. There is nothing wrong if you want to give your number to your guy friend but then make sure you are not being over friendly or give out any such signs that might make your guy friend think that you are interested in him as more than just friends, don't give any signs that indicates towards leading him on.

2. " I told him that I wanted to hang out, but since I have a boyfriend, would that be wrong?"

It is not a good idea to hang out with your guy friend, your boyfriend might get insecure and think that you are prioritising your guy friend instead of him. However if you want to hang out with him, then make sure you talk to your boyfriend about this let him know and once he is comfortable then you can go ahead.

3. "Should I tell my boyfriend about this guy that I want to be friends with?"

Yes, of course. You should tell your boyfriend, don't hide and don't conceal anything from, being honest is the best way to get your boyfriend to trust you.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can have male friends, you should definitely tell your boyfriend. Not because you need his approval but there's no reason to hide it, it just platonic right? Hiding any part of it could look like there's something more going on. So be open about when you talk to him, when your hanging out. Why not not hang out with him and boyfriend at same time?

0|0
    0|0
  • Seems like a bad step possibly unless you're in an open relationship

0|1
    0|0
    • If a girl gives you her number and says that she wants to hang out, would you take that romantically? Close relationship as far as I know

• At the very least if I like her I might be hoping for sparks. If I'm not into her then it's likely it's for a group get together. If you're in a 1 on 1 situation the perception is romance even if you're just friends.

• Ok. That makes sense

• Honesty is the best policy... but u should first see the nature of ur boy friend.. do he tolerate this? In either case u should avoid friendship with new guy to keep ur life simple... it's like u have feelings for that guy that may grow with time... in first u should not share the number... even if ur intentions are clear u cannot stop feelings of others...

0|0
    0|0
  • Remember the golden rule. Would you be alright with your boyfriend giving his number to a girl he says he wants to be friends with? If so than just tell him and be honest. If not, than you should know he probably feels the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you make it clear that you just want to hang as a friend and that it's not a date.

When I think of giving someone their phone number it's always for a date.

0|3
    0|0
    • Make sure there is no way he can possibly misunderstand.

• Its important to have friends in a relationship. But you dont need them of the opposite sex. The only reason opposite sex friends exist is because one is interested and the other is not. Why would you need to spend time with other guys that are interested in you if you have a boyfriend already? If he satisfies your needs, there is no need to have male friends. Female friends are good, go all out on that. But males are different

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you've might have gone about it in a way for it to be taken a bad way, depends on the guy you gave your number to as well and how he reacted when he got it. If you just wanna be friends with this dude then you should have no problem telling your boyfriend

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what kind of guy he is. If he's your co worker, boss, business partner or close friend then go. If it's random guys you wanna be friends with, you can but just remind them you have a boyfriend every time they try to flirt. It can turn them off. Be loyal tho.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're hiding if from your boyfriend then either A) There's more to this male friend than you're letting on or B) Your boyfriend is extremely jealous and clingy. Either way, you need better communication about this with your boyfriend, not with random people online

0|1
    0|0
  • If this guy is in no way your co worker or class mate in no way should you befriend him. If that’s the case it’s obvious you’re not happy with your current boyfriend if you like to give out your number to guys you always see in the lobby.

0|1
    0|0
  • The only way I would say this would be ok is if your boyfriend knows... But be careful I have never seen where male female as friends have never lead to more... One or the other will always want more then just friends and it being a new exciting friendship you may slip up...

1|0
    0|0
  • Straiggt Guys don't have female friends, they have girls they want to smash and girls they may want to smash at some point. Even married guys,... because just in case

0|1
    0|1
    • What makes you think heterosexual guys do not have female friends who are heterosexual or bisexual as just friends

• You need to be honest with yourself. Are you really just looking for a platonic friendship with this guy? Really? Because giving a guy your number has implications of more than just wanting to hang out.

0|1
    0|0
  • Does the guy who you gave your number know you just want to be friends.

And if you're hiding this guy from your boyfriend won't it look bad WHEN he finds out about this guy friend you haven't mentioned?

0|1
    0|0
  • Just don't send him the wrong message by indicating you are interested him in that way. Be clear about this!

Tell you bofriend if you want to. Your relationship does not dictate who you are friends with.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah, it wouldn't be wrong in my view, but talk with your boyfriend first if you can and check if *he* thinks it's wrong first.
    And make sure that your boyfriend knows about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 33

• You should tell your boyfriend if you want to be friends... So he won't get the wrong idea...

0|1
    1|0
  • Does he know you have a bf? And yes you should tell your boyfriend. What is it you are truly looking for with this guy? Hang can be friends chilling together or a date, dies this guy which it is? Do you know which it is? The fact that you're asking if you should tell your boyfriend makes this all suspect, because why wouldn't you tell him?

0|1
    0|0
    • My boyfriend never tells me about his friends, so I feel weird asking for permission. I think I’m just looking for more friends.

• I don't think it's wrong. I would just make sure they know it's just plutonic friendship.
    A lot of times the words hang out, which to me literally means that, anymore is synonymous with date.

No I don't think that's wrong. I'd also let my partner know I'm going to see this person and let them know it's just a friend situation.

2|1
    0|0
  • Did you tell that guy that you have a boyfriend and that you're just interested in hanging out as platonic friends? If not, tell him. Because leading him on is not cool.

And yes, you should definitely tell your boyfriend. If you feel it's something you can't tell your boyfriend, then it's probably something you shouldn't do.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you feel a need to hide it from your boyfriend and can't openly tell him then it probably is wrong. How would you feel if he was in that position with another girl who may want to date him?

You would come across as flirtatious just giving him your number.

0|1
    0|0
  • Make sure he knows you have a boyfriend and yes it's best to tell your boyfriend. Even though my boyfriend doesn't care because he thinks it's controlling if a guy/girl doesn't like when their boyfriend/girlfriend makes a friend of the opposite plus he trust me. My boyfriend doesn't have to tell me when he makes friends because I trust him, but we still tell each other anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Its wrong. Maybe that guy likes you. And what? If nothing is wrong why are you asking us if you should tell your bf? If you respect him. You wouldn't give random guys your number.

I bet if your man would give your number to a random girl and he didn't tell you , You would go nuts and yell , even make a scena out of it. But noo. Just because you are the woman you think thats ok.

And no. Guys dont befriend girls , usually if they ask for your number , they want to date you.

0|1
    0|0
  • My question would be what makes you want to hang out with him rather than or as well as your boyfriend? What interests you about him that made you want to hang out with him. Personally I think when you’re going out with someone l, it means that you love spending most of not all your time with them. It’s not wrong as such but I would ask yourself why. There’s no harm with what you’re doing though. Don’t get the wrong impression or think I’m having a go at you. Just trying to help 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • If you haven't told your boyfriend.. Then then you see this dude as another potential. Its best if you don't hang out w thus guy

0|3
    0|0
  • To be honest, I wouldn’t like that if I were your boyfriend.

1|2
    0|1
  • I was like that with people I was with. You have every right to be friends with whomever you desire. However, you could just bring up the topic of being friends with the opposite sex and just ask him in terms of dating does something like this bother him to find out? Instead of just saying every time you make a guy friend hey I’m friends with this dude are you okay with that? I feel like if I had a partner and she constantly asked me then I’d feel put on the spot to decide who they can’t and can be friends with just because we’re in a relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I doubt that guy understood it the way you meant it... if a guy came to me, gave me a telephone number and asked to hang out I definitely would think he's looking for female friend

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course it is not wrong. He is a friend like anyone else. Friends do not have gender. Why you think it is wrong?

0|1
    0|0
  • This all depends on ur intentions with this new guy.. if u fs only want a friendship just let ur boyfriend know that.. if u like this new guy.. maybe it’s time to reevaluate ur current real

0|0
    0|0
  • It's wrong if you wouldn't feel comfortable telling your boyfriend

0|1
    0|0
  • Think of it this way if your boyfriend gave his number out or some girl gave him their number would you like it

0|0
    0|0
  • If you don't specify as friends, most people assume it's for romantic interest.

0|0
    0|0
  • if you be clear to the guy that it is just friendship then tell your boyfriend yes

0|0
    0|0
  • If you made it clear it's just friendship, maybe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its absolutely wrong

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes