How soon do you start to miss your significant other?

When not being able to see your partner face to face, how soon do you start to miss them? Or is communication enough to keep the longing away?
  • Just after a few days.
    Vote A
  • After a week.
    Vote B
  • After a few weeks.
    Vote C
  • After a month.
    Vote D
  • After a few months.
    Vote E
  • I don't miss my significant other/I've never missed them before.
    Vote F
  • I don't have a significant other.
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Sorry that there's no immidiately/after a few hours option. You can just vote for the first one if you miss them sooner than any of the options listed.

0|4

Most Helpful Guy

• In my previous relationships, I remember not being able to stop missing them, they were always on my mind in everything I did.
    Always was thinking about them and how to surprise them with something nice, beautiful words, etc...
    Anyways, how about you?

1|0
    0|0
    • It really depends for me. We used to be long distance, so I kinda got used to not seeing him too often, and to forget about the longing, because it only had negative effects on me. Now that we live close to each other, we're usually having a hard time matching our schedules, but still see each other at least a couple times a week. When I know he is in town, I don't really miss him that much, because he is just a walking distance away. But he is going abroad today, and I feel like I miss him already. I just saw him yesterday.

• Well, if you see a future together, than stick to it and hold on to the relationship no matter how hard it could get in my own opinion.
      I think maybe the more we miss them regardless the distance is the more we are attached to them. I may be wrong, that is just my point of view.
      I remember people telling me "Out of sight out of mind" while I know sometimes it is not true if the love is really strong :-)

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in a LDR and I only see him once a month for a couple of weeks, so I think this one is even harder for me. I don't get to see him often and I dread the days where I go back home. I miss him before I even get on the train sometimes if that even makes sense. Especially lately, I'm not sure why because for the first year of the relationship I think I coped better, but now I end up crying on the train home and that first night away from him.

That being said, I can "get by". I definitely miss him but after the first few days I get back into the routine of things and distract myself. It's usually a couple weeks later when I start planning to see him next and really looking forward to it. We're looking for somewhere to move in together actually because we both can't deal with missing eachother all the time.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 74

• I always cherish the time we spend together so I usually begin to miss her if she's gone for more then a couple of days. I'll always say "Good Morning" and "Good Evening" to her, along with giving her a phone call if she had open time comfortably for it. I realize that people like to have time alone or with other people so I won't be clingy about desperately missing her unless she was gone for longer then a month which she usually never is anyways.

When you love someone very much, you can't help but look forward to seeing them again when they come back from their trip or vacation! Plus, it always nice for her to talk about everything she did so I could envision her experiences and have a nice conversation with her!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's funny. I'd like to think more, but really only after a few days I miss my girlfriend. In fact, last week she was out of town for the week and I was on "daddy duty." (We have three children. We are not, however, married and don't want to be.)

My first thought was, "Great! I'll get to be daddy and spend a little extra time with the kids." However, after just two days I would think of something I wanted to tell her - and I would go to tell her and then I would remember she was gone for the week. I would want to hold her hand - and I couldn't. I wanted to feel her next to me in the morning - and she wasn't there. Oh, and yes, I wanted sex and she was not there to satisfy my needs and share her naked body with me.

Don't get me wrong. I had a superb time being a temporary single dad. We rough housed. I tickled them and read them bedtime stories. It was great.

Still, I was surprised how much I needed and missed my girlfriend. She is kind of my emotional center and even though we talked once a day before I went to bed - she was on the West Coast, we live on the East Coast - I missed her terribly.

She - and the kids - are unquestionably the best thing that ever happened to me. All it took was for her to be gone a week for me to remember that.

0|0
    0|0
  • It will make me sound weird but... I don't miss people. It's not that I don't care about people I guess I just don't feel like I have any reliance or need to be near them? I dunno if that makes sense or not, but I almost never miss people. There have been rare occasions but they are few and far between. =/

1|1
    0|0
  • Hours wasn't an option. And she goes away to work for months at a time. The intimacy is as intense as ever when she gets back.

1|0
    0|0
  • When I'm in that Honeymoon phase I usually miss her as soon as we are apart. After we've been together a while probably after 3-5 days. To be honest most of your examples are time periods I've never been separated. I've never been away from any girl for weeks and months. I've don't like LDR's so I assume that is why you've put in those examples. I'd break up before I did one of those.

0|0
    0|0
  • After 5 days and 12 hours. If she leaves on a Sunday. If another day, then still until Saturday night I don't see her much anyways because of work. But on Saturday she sleeps over at my place. If she's not there I'll miss her.

0|0
    0|0
  • When I had a girlfriend, I missed her as soon as I walked out the door to leave. I really enjoyed being with her, but apparently she didn't feel the same way :(

1|0
    0|0
  • Wouldn't be surprised if I had no one backing me up on this, but I have never felt like missing someone. I do feel good and happy with her, but also feel good and happy by myself. Cheers :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not in our hand to miss someone or not, its just a feeling which occurs automaticaly for them to whom we love and the level of missing someone is depend on the level love ie; to which extent we love him/her.
    Forexample- if we love someone more then we start missing him/her immidiately after a sec. And when we just like someone, then we miss him/her a little...

0|0
    0|0
  • Like some others have said, it's less than a day for me. We're apart while we're both at work, but if she has something to do after work and doesn't get home until late I miss her that evening. I'm pretty sure it's the same with her.

My guess is that the answer will vary based on what the person's scores are on the "love languages" quiz at www.5lovelanguages.com - anyone with high Quality Time and Physical Touch scores (which my girlfriend and I both have) are probably going to miss their partner sooner than people with low scores on those things.

How long is it for you? I'm guessing a week or more since a few days was the shortest option you listed? If so, do you know and are you willing to share your scores on the Quality Time and Physical Touch love languages?

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually between a few weeks to a month, with communication. But i always looked forward to seeing her again.

Until my parents forced me to break up with her last year, that is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Been together for 13 years, and miss her as soon as I leave for work each day.

1|0
    0|0
  • Actually, it starts the next day, but it subsides after a few weeks.
    I have lived 7 years of a ldr and this is the recurrent pattern.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like the constant connection totally kills any form of missing someone. I know it sounds odd but I'd rather only communicate to arrange to meet but we don't live in that world.

0|0
    0|0
  • Does a relationship/significant other still count if its like.. 10 years ago? Because that was the last time we saw each other/spend time together.
    And so far i never felt the same way again.

0|0
    0|0
    • If i think back..
      Personal appearance or also just contact - like per whatsapp

• After a fe we d a y s s. i am getting back togeth e r with a ex that i never stopped loving after 8 years as re lobe never left us. she actually is married and divorce the guy to be with me

0|0
    0|0
  • Im a pretty touch oriented person, so there's always that itch that just can't be scratched with texts and phone calls

0|0
    0|0
  • Just about immediately. Nothing in life compares to having her nearby

0|0
    0|0
  • I start to miss her as soon she waves bye , to board her plane back to south Africa. Only 10 months and she will be back for good...

0|0
    0|0
  • When I was dating I would miss them after a few days but talking on the phone or texting them helps.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 64

• Well I miss him every single second... 😞

0|1
    1|0
  • When i had one and happy, a few days.

0|1
    0|0
  • How long it takes to miss your other half depends on how close you are, how lonely and bored you are and what role they play in your life!
    If you are depressed and on your own all day you will miss them quickly. If you are out and about and have loads of friends and a busy career it takes longer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ummm imminently, in fact before he even goes.
    LDR of 7hrs so only see each other about 5x a year, standing at the bus stop watching the bus go is always the hardest not to break down before the bus disappears.

0|0
    0|0
  • In the beginning of our relationship ( we're in a LDR ) I started to miss him after 3 days of no contact ( calling or Skype ) but now that it has been 11 months now. I'm use to it. We both have busy work schedules so usually I'm sleeping after work. So I understood how tired he is after work to call or Skype.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm in an ldr so I can definitely survive without seeing his face. But I would say if he has to go somewhere or do something that would Make him absent for days or weeks, I start missing after the first day or sometimes even hours after he's left.

0|0
    0|0
  • We have a long distance relationship at times, sometimes going a month without each other, but usually about one to two weeks. It usually hits about a week or two after i have last seen him, but sometimes missing each other is good, as long as its not for too long.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh this depends on many factors. I even realized that there are times of the month when I automatically crave my SOs presence more. Also I miss him more if I know he's abroad. If he's away for a week or two I automatically start to feel sorry for myself and miss him terribly😊. But if he's around and we are just too busy to see each other for a week I don't mind as much

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll admit, I'm obsessed with him and "borderline nymphomaniac" which explains why I miss him already just hours after we last held each other. He insists he feels exactly the same way too.

0|1
    0|0
  • I had a LDR for 5 years so now that we're not LD anymore I don't miss him lol

I think I could go a while without missing him just because I'm used to long gaps between seeing him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually, I saw him last night and woke up missing him this morning. Texted him right away. I have to admit I've never been like this in a romantic relationship it scares the hell out of me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well seeing as sleep share a child, were together for almost three years, just broke up last week and he moved out I would say the second he left I missed him

0|0
    0|0
  • It's less than that. Within the instant that I know I have to leave his side I start to miss him. It's been 4 years, still like this.

0|1
    0|0
  • My answer is not above. I miss him as soon as he leaves.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can find things to do myself for a few days but after a week, I'd want to spend at least one day in a weekend doing something (or nothing) with them

0|0
    0|0
  • Half the time im too busy to even think about him, but when I do, I obviously miss him. It's a LDR so

1|0
    0|0
  • I already miss them after like a day. I get so used to their company that being alone is almost unbearable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Literally it's very difficult for me to go a day without seeing him or using his face as my seat. Lmao.

0|0
    0|0
  • I picked a few days but its really the after a few hours :(

0|1
    0|0
  • My guy is currently deployed and it's hard but we make it work because he does call when he can. It's never easy to be without the one you love but it can work if you put forth the effort.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes