Would you want to keep a baby conceived from rape?

Let's say that you're in a happy relationship. However, the female in the relationship (you or your partner) is raped by a stranger. It's a horrible event to have happened, but she becomes pregnant from it.

Knowing that the male in the relationship is not going to be the actual father, would you want to keep the child? Put it up for adoption? Or abortion?

Sorry for the horrible question, I just randomly thought of it.
  • Keep the child
  • Abort the child
  • Put the child up for adoption
    Vote C
  • Other (comment below)
    Vote D

135

Most Helpful Girls

• The idea of parting with a child that's mine isn't something I can see myself doing. That being said I've never been raped or in that situation, so I'm not exactly sure how I'd handle it.

• This is from a real life story. A girl was raped and it conceived a child. She decided to keep it, but she hated the child. Because every single time she sees the child, all she remembers was the man who raped her, how it happened. So the child suffered from the way she treated it even though the child did nothing wrong. I think the woman shouldn't give up the life of the child, but put it for adoption.

Most Helpful Guy

• There is number of potential problems with anything other than abortion. If she keeps the baby, the rapist may assert his parental rights, which means having to deal with him regularly for a very long time, which is very unpleasant for the victim and emasculating for her partner.

Adoption is also problematic because it's extremely difficult to give a baby away, especially once you have held it in your arms and bonded with it.

• And a pregnancy is generally seen as a happy event, how on earth would you explain it to the people around you.

• Excellent point- I didn't even think of that.

• And if you already have kids how do you explain it to them.