How do you truly get over your first love? it is much harder than I thought?

I have been broken up from my first love for about 4 months now. We had dated for about 9 months. We broke up once after 2 months because he cheated. I truly loved him and was very good to him. I supported him in every way I could. He had a lot of family problems and also problems with drugs. I tried very hard to be the solid person in his life. I forgave him for many things along the way...being blown off when he was doing drugs, sexting other girls, and then "talking" with my best friend, and for telling many lies. He always came back with I am so sorry and I love you so much and please don't leave me. He always told me that I was the only person he could trust in his life. I held on for as long as I could. I finally 4 months ago had to break up with him. I was not hateful, nor did I criticize him. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, because I still loved him. Moving on gets a little easier, but he makes it hard sometimes. He still text me and tells me he misses me, and that he loves me ( oh and he has a new girlfriend). It is so hard to hear those things, because I know he really hasn't changed. I want so badly to move on! Can someone please tell me how?
2
8