How do you perceive someone who is naturally quiet?

A person who barely starts a conversation and who only says a few things before going in quiet mode again, without giving any hint of been shy.

How do you perceive someone who is naturally quiet?

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• If I'm aware that they're shy, I don't mind them being quiet as long as they converse with me.

If I don't know they're shy, I assume they're disinterested in talking to me. So I don't make much of an effort to talk to them, coz I assume they're annoyed by me keep messaging/talking to them. I hate to feel I'm being a pest or nuisance to people. So they need to let me know , somehow, that they enjoy me chatting to them

1|1
    0|0
  • To my Hispanic family it is considered very rude you have to announce when u get home or when your leaving u have to talk at dinner or whatever if you visit friends family or they will think your stuck up lol all that but for white family it is more okay

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Quite badly, sorry...

You start the conversation, don't have an issue like being particularly she but don't hold up your end. How do you think of people who site up and get paid but only do the very least amount of work they have to?

1|2
    2|0
    • My head is up how cuz I don't know who the hell y'all talking about they don't make two shits to me

• My little sister is a very quiet person but without being shy at all. She's just calm and quiet. I think there are many situations where she feels like there's just not a lot of (important) stuff to say. She would rather listen to other people talk. While I'm not quiet myself, I do have my calm moments too and so I can relate to this a least a bit. I also think being quiet has its advantages - for example because you take yourself out of any potential battles. At family dinners, we occasionally have very passionate discussions where everyone is getting a little heated, just my sister is sitting there quietly and enjoying her food. I mean... why not ;-).

3|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 27

• Relatable

1|2
    0|0
  • I'm iffy. I'm an extroverted introvert, so while I love to talk to people, it drains me a lot. I need to be around people who can pick up where I leave off if I find myself too worn out from socialization, but at the same time I like it when I can just sit in silence with someone and not have it feel tense and awkward.

0|2
    0|0
  • Im an introvert and an extrovert, depends on the situation and people I'm around. If you annoy me and I don't give with you - then yes, I'm quiet. But with people I totally vibe with, I can laugh and talk all day. But even that can be draining.. so the end of the day, it's all headphones/music and shhhh... I'm trying to energize myself. It's not bad people are quiet, some people have social anxiety, so I cut them some slack, some people just don't like other people.

0|2
    0|0
  • boring
    selfish
    cause he/she doesn't put an effort to get to know me and make the atmosphere for both feel good
    if we know each other longer it can be acceptable but not if we dont know each other

3|0
    0|0
    • Ever thought that he likes the chase that YOU put into him, again not all so called. shy guys are boring/ selfish would you rather have a orbiter follow you around.. or a quite mysterious guy, who is not needy, doesn't ask a million questions provides great feelings, the orbiter tries to get in your pants, but gets friendzoned lol I always make girls chase me, im a laid-back mysterious guy, 1, preselection works. don't care what you think, if we are vibing well, I'll push the interaction if we aren't I will leave, simple, go off of emotions/ how I feel.

• @LetmeHelp3 I dont mind people that are shy, but i mind people that dont put an effort
      Im not saying guy should only put an effort, both sides should
      being pushy is not alternative for closed off person, just another extreme

• Our first date... thank goodness I asked to ride around before he drove me straight back to my door! I’m so shy and it’s hard for me to get words out and look certain people in the eye.

1|0
    0|0
  • That person is me. I don't judge them and I can understand why they act this way. Starting a conversation is not easy and sometimes it's better to stay quiet.

0|1
    0|0
  • My favourite type of people, wallflowers... they dont need to be shy, they have a lot to say but they only say it to a few they trust, incredibly beautiful people...

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm that type of person and most of the time i'm uninterested because I hate small talk.

3|4
    0|0
  • Maybe they don't like people? Or maybe they prefer to listen and observe, like I do? I don't talk a lot either, so I get it.

0|2
    0|0
    • Same with me. I don't like to speak with people, I prefer observe my surroundings in the silence.

• Show All
    • 7d

@kellyg83 True! It makes me know their personalities by observing their facial expressions when they talked to each other.

• 7d

@_sharaze yeah, but then there's the plethora of funny stories you hear too. 😉

• I’m that kind of person.
    How do I perceive myself? Umm... quiet 😂

1|1
    0|0
  • Somebody that doesn’t trust many and wise. I’m shy at times but can also be chatty, wild and random yet.. wise 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • I just don't think much about it since I'm a really quiet person as well 🤷🏽‍♀️

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t bother to waste my time. It shows me they really don’t give a shit and not interested.

0|1
    2|1
  • Like nothing for a start. But i wouldn't like this type of personality at work.

0|1
    0|0
  • Those ARE hints of being shy, especially if it's on regular basis.
    1) barely starts a conversation

I feel nobody cares for what I have to say so I don't speak unless spoken to

2) Only says a few things

FUCK!!!
    I can't say it any nicer than that. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? People ignore me. They talk over me. They sometimes, using false politeness before rushing off to talk to someone better than me. And you wonder why I'm so beaten down? I'm crying while writing this because it hurts so much! I would love someone to talk to but you demonstrated how so many have a "fuck you" attitude just because it's difficult for me. So yes I'm shy. I'm lonely. And I wish that there was someone who didn't hate me because they see themselves as better than me.

1|1
    0|1
  • Mysterious but cool, that's my crush. :v

0|4
    0|0
  • I perceive them as shy

1|2
    0|0
  • Introverted like me.

1|2
    0|0
  • Introverted, Mysterious

1|2
    0|0
  • It depends. I would have to speak to them first.

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 24

• Someone quiet is quiet
    But society has outcast them and labelled them as loser...
    So we see them as loser.

0|0
    0|0
    • Way to think for yourself! Way to subsidize those calories and soften that grey matter for your genetic line! ... who's to say they didn't outcast themselves? To me, a society that has to make signs, labels, handrails, currencies, police & "insurance" to hide behind to perpetually re-enforce values & motives is the real loser, because it has to waste all that energy doing something that *would have worked* naturally (had they chosen the correct way of doing it from the outset).

• I know I'm life this as well. When I'm quiet,... I just don't have anything meaningful to say at the moment. If a person wishes to converse with me, I do not mind that at all. I can carry a conversation no problem just like anyone else.

Women on the other hand, that's different. I can talk to them no problem, but they don't talk to me. They usually just ignore me, but they'll just talk to another guy's ear off no problem. Go figure. Then I just think,"Fine, whatever. To hell with you too".

2|2
    0|0
  • I find them intriguing. So hard to read some times, but not in a bad way.

2|3
    0|0
  • Depends on their body language. If they are closed off and quiet, I assume they are shy. If they carry themselves with a confident demeanor and smile, I assume they like to listen and think before they speak. If their body languge says attitude and they are quiet, I assume they are an asshole or bitch.

2|0
    0|0
  • People tend not to notice us. That is up until we get on the internet and make an ass of ourselves in lieu of doing so in the real world.

2|2
    0|0
  • Worth befriending, in the event they decide to shoot up our school I'd be spared or at least given a heads up

1|2
    1|0
    • ROFLMAO!!! YES! That is a great attitude to have for today's social leaders; even a sociopath is likely to spare someone who's been kind to them. Good tactical head on you... ;) (At least it might buy you the chance to play hero & get them talking... or at least the split second needed to snatch the gun away... ;)

• Because someone is quiet does not mean they are shy. They may just not want to join in. They are very difficult to read , they maybe like a ticking time bomb , go along with things then you get a reaction when they get angry with some thing has been said...

0|0
    0|0
  • I frankly don't even know what I am.. some times I'm loud sometimes I'm suite depends on who serounds me.
    If I'm around a loud friend he sucks the all the extrovert life force out of me and vice versa.
    So confusing.

0|1
    0|0
  • Either I think they just don't like me.
    Or I view it as a very sympathic and positive trait, I like people like that. Only problem is that it's hard to get to have a conversation with them lol. Pretty paradox.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm the same way, but it I am getting better. I have never been good with conversation, and definitely not good around new people. But when I see a quiet person, I can probably relate, but also I would think disturb them.

0|0
    0|0
  • They're an introvert. Read up on it - it's not a mental issue, or a sickness, or even something bad. ;)

0|1
    0|0
  • I give them an interesting topic to talk about
    If they didn't I start an activity for them to participate
    I can unlock people's mind and heart and tongue xd

0|0
    0|0
  • I like them, since I'm naturally quiet as well and I prefer to be quiet. Funny that lots of people don't like that which is ridiculous and nonsensical really.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some don’t talk because they’re that insecure, or super stubborn and can’t hear others opinions

0|1
    0|0
  • They have more than meets the eye or at least I hope that true

0|1
    0|0
  • Its really annoying when your a quiet person and people always point it out to you.

2|0
    0|0
  • Relatable. I really only speak if I have something to say that I think will improve the conversation in a group.

On the other hand I find many topics that people want to talk about pretty boring. Oh how many times I've wanted to say "I dont care about your fantasy team!" But I hold my tongue because they care and they find joy in sharing their hobby. I know I can't contribute to that type of conversation but I still pay attention and try to ask questions because people are happier when they get to openly talk about something they love.

0|0
    0|0
  • Now in quiet cuz I don't have time for this stupid shit you don't even know who the hell I am

0|1
    1|0
    • I Iz ms lioness hear me roar. rurrrrrrrr!!!

• Show All
    • My namez's izzzz not big kitten cheezburgerz but little twinkle-footed go go rave kitty

• OK I don't get it

• they're dead or invisible to me

0|0
    1|0
  • Uninterested in me... :)

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes