He keeps on bringing up that he isn't ready for a serious relationship and that he wants to make me happy. I need to decode this guy... what is he thinking?

So one of my really good friends set me up with this guy who goes to her college. We've been texting each other for awhile and he is the most confusing person I've ever talked to. I know that we are both attracted to each other bu he keeps on telling me that he's relationship poison and that we shouldn't start a relationship because he doesn't want to hurt me. The thing is I haven't even mentioned a relationship once in any conversation that we have had. Also he's been leading every conversation that we have and h keeps telling me very personal things about his past, I don't mind that at all but we stopped talking for a couple of days and he told me that he noticed that he's been talking about himself so he wanted to stop leading the conversations and learn more about me. So I gave him the chance to ask me whatever he wanted, anything at all and he told me he couldn't think of anything to ask me at the moment. I'm really confused by him and I don't want to give up just yet, I just want to understand him better. Also he told me that he hasn't had sex in over a year and that he's been looking for a girlfriend for a year. At the same time he keeps on bringing up that he isn't ready for a serious relationship and that he wants to make me happy.
2
4