Should I ghost him or give him an explanation?

I’ve only known him for 3 months, but I need to end things. We got along really well on the surface, but he can be selfish, harsh, and he’s really lonely. I thought I was getting to know him better, but found out he just needed an ear to let all his problems onto. I’m tired of being that person for people so I’m stopping with him. I don’t know him super well, but I would probably feel guilty if I just stopped talking to him and blocked him on everything. Should I just write a small message as to why I’m stopping talking to him to put some of my feelings to rest, or should I just distance myself slowly? My friends say I don’t owe him an explanation and I think their right, but I wanna know what some GaGs would do in my situation?
1 y
I sent my message out to him tonight, but he hasn’t seen it yet. I understand ghosting is awful, and have never done it before. I only considered it because I hadn’t known him nearly at all. My friends aren’t awful people they just want to protect me. I understand all the guys in the comments feel for him but we both have our own faults.
1 y
He took it really well, we didn’t discuss too much in detail about why, but we both know we had boundary issues. He said the door of friendship is always open for me when I feel ready. It hurts more than I expected it to considering how long I knew him but I don’t think I can come back because there’s too many feelings.
Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions!
55
32