Would you ever decide not to pursue a potential partner because of the type of music they listen to?

I can't say that I would let someone's taste in music determine the fate of our relationship but I am curious as to what others opinions are.

1446

Most Helpful Guys

• Of course not, people are free to make their own choices and have their own opinions. It is when they would force those choices and opinions on me that I would consider ending the relationship. That takes away my sense of individuality, and while it is normal to inherit some characteristics of your partner in a relationship, the day I take on someone else's beliefs to satisfy them is the day that I lose myself.

• No. Their interests are their own and as long as they don't impact me then all the power too them.

Hell i'm a fucking classical and opera nut. I wouldn't expect a partner to like that kind of music. And if they ended up liking heavy metal then I won't hold it over their heads.

Most Helpful Girls

• I donโ€™t want to date another version of me because Iโ€™m a bit feisty. I love learning new things and probably fall in love with the music as much as I would for them. Learning new things is what makes everything spicy in a relationship if we had so many similarities and the answers to whatever or significant other does than what would be the point of dating?

• I dated someone for a year who loves punk rock VS me who likes r&b and alternative rock. It was hard cause we both love music so much.

We always argued about the music we played lol. So in my experience it was a factor. Because it led to us finding out what other things we didn't have in common.

• This is the exact situation I was thinking of when I asked the question. I know music means a lot to some people and it could absolutely be a factor.