Would you ever decide not to pursue a potential partner because of the type of music they listen to?

Would you ever decide not to pursue a potential partner because of the type of music they listen to?

I can't say that I would let someone's taste in music determine the fate of our relationship but I am curious as to what others opinions are.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Of course not, people are free to make their own choices and have their own opinions. It is when they would force those choices and opinions on me that I would consider ending the relationship. That takes away my sense of individuality, and while it is normal to inherit some characteristics of your partner in a relationship, the day I take on someone else's beliefs to satisfy them is the day that I lose myself.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Their interests are their own and as long as they don't impact me then all the power too them.

Hell i'm a fucking classical and opera nut. I wouldn't expect a partner to like that kind of music. And if they ended up liking heavy metal then I won't hold it over their heads.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I donโ€™t want to date another version of me because Iโ€™m a bit feisty. I love learning new things and probably fall in love with the music as much as I would for them. Learning new things is what makes everything spicy in a relationship if we had so many similarities and the answers to whatever or significant other does than what would be the point of dating?

1|0
    0|0
  • I dated someone for a year who loves punk rock VS me who likes r&b and alternative rock. It was hard cause we both love music so much.

We always argued about the music we played lol. So in my experience it was a factor. Because it led to us finding out what other things we didn't have in common.

1|0
    0|0
    • This is the exact situation I was thinking of when I asked the question. I know music means a lot to some people and it could absolutely be a factor.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 44

• I listen to everything depending on my mood and for sure this won't be a deal breaker...

If she's just going to tell me, listen to this and don't listen to that, i'll have a word with her which is: WOMAN I'M THE MAN OF THIS GODDAMN HOUSE!, and pump the woofers to the max so she flies back to her parent's house ๐Ÿคจ

1|0
    0|0
    • I wish I could like this more than once, make her flyyyyyyyyy... ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Show All
    • There is nothing better than some perfect lemonade!

• Very true, especially if it's made by a wife who is a housewife because i'll marry only a girl who adores becoming a housewife...๐Ÿ™‚

You made me thirsty for a glass of lemonade, i can imagine the cold glass, the sun is hot but sadly now i'm single and don't know to make anything, i think i'll just buy a bottle which is artificial, nothing fresh and natural in it ๐Ÿคจ

• No. I think it's really stupid to let something so small get in the way of something with real potential. If you only date someone for the type of music they listen to, you're REALLY gonna have a hard time finding to connect with.

1|0
    0|0
  • The music someone listens to can really give you a good look at the type of person that is. I'm not saying that everyone that listens to a genre are similar people, more that there a number of different personalities that find a genre appealing. So I can personally say there are specific genres I know that it will be rare for me to find a female I can connect with that listens to them.

2|1
    0|0
  • Not really, but most people Male and female hate my music (Death Metal, Oi! Thrash, Punk, Black Metal, Doom, Crust, Grind etc) so Iโ€™ve gotten use to it

1|0
    0|0
  • My take on this is simple, because I've been with women who love pop or jazz

I tell them that they can hear anything with headphones, since I also wear headphones to listen to death metal and Psytrance

1|0
    0|0
  • IDGAF about music, as long as they respect when I ask then to change a certain song I particularly don't like. Who cares let people choose what they choose.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes if the chick listen to little pump little can little Wayne 2chsinz 6six9nine or Drake then she's not a type of girl for me cause those stupid guys bring women down so why would a girl ecen listen to those freaks is what trips me out.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes absolutely. I can't be in a relationship to someone who listens to horrible music. I listen a lot of music and I prefer to have a relationship were we do everything together so that would be horrible

1|0
    0|0
  • That's a tough one. Music is extremely important to me, but I can't stand rap, rnb, pop country, or modern pop/rock. I guess add long as I don't have to listen to it im good. I don't too well with "normies" anyway though.

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. I just may ask them to not listen to the music I didn't like when we are together. Because chances are, there's a type of music that I like that they don't and I'd have to do the same thing.

1|0
    0|0
  • lol women always come up with something that is useless
    really girl? music? lmao

1|0
    0|0
    • If you read my actual take on it you would have seen that I wouldn't do that myself but I am sure there are people who would.

• Someone I dated didn't want to date me anymore because I listened to her favourite band... Sad but true story ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, if it was gospel or contemporary Christian rock.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah i really hate the super poppy stuff everything else i sort let slide i guess i just hate extremist if that makes sense

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Because I'm not gonna listen to little Yachty or heavy metal in ny car

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm open to any music. Personally I'm a rock music type. However thanks to my first job i will listen to all music passively if i don't care for it.

1|0
    0|0
  • At 16, maybe.
    At 36, no.
    At 46, music seemed so important once.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope! Only if they had (really) different values from me

1|0
    0|0
  • No I wouldn't unless she were listening to evil and satanic music

1|1
    0|0
  • No, that would be stupid thing to do. Even if i don't like their music taste, i'll accept it.

2|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• This is little funny ๐Ÿ˜…

1|1
    0|0
  • Maybe if they listened to some depressing goth stuff that involved rape or murder or drugs or suicide or alternative funk etc...

If they don't listen to depressing music or immoral music - then we are good to go

1|0
    0|0
  • It's better when you do like the same music but it's definitely not a deal breaker if you don't. You aren't together 24/7 they can listen to their "music" in the car, at the gym etc and vice Versa.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as they donโ€™t listen to metal, Iโ€™m all for liberty :p

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Doesn't matter as long as he isn't shitting on the type of music I like

1|0
    0|0
  • That would be ridiculous. Itโ€™s just music

1|0
    0|0
  • Metal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe... some musics can drive us crazy

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.