What are the chances when a man is deployed in the military, that his girlfriend will cheat on him or break up with him before he returns?

This happens. A man is away and is serving in the military for a year long or two (potentially risking his life) and he has a girlfriend back in his hometown. What are the chances, that she cannot bear the wait and will eventually cheat on him or break up with him before he returns?
What are the chances when a man is deployed in the military, that his girlfriend will cheat on him or break up with him before he returns?

• low
    Vote A
  • moderate. maybe around half of all times
    Vote B
  • high
    Vote C
  • very high. it happens 99% of all times
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on how solid your relationship and love is because being in the military is different from a long distance relationship. If you have a weak relationship and you go into the military where she won't see you and won't be able to have much contact with you, her love will start to diminish and then add the loneliness. She'll then cheat on you. So it depends on the person and the relationship

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I believe it's probably very common. If she is in her *20's; if she doesn't have a strong moral core (it doesn't guarantee loyalty if she has one, but it's better for her to have one than not, if only to show her capable of remorse and self reflection); if she's attractive; if she is often around other men for some reason or another; and if she is damaged in some way (such as by an abusive father), the realistic view is that she is probably going to cheat.

It might be one time.
    It might be an affair.
    It might be emotional.
    It might be physical.
    It might be both physical and emotional.

Whichever it is, the realistic view is that one of those is going to happen.

The most pragmatic options for anyone going into the military is to either, a., leave their significant other and, perhaps, see if the relationship can be rekindled after his or her service has ended or just accept it as being over, b., give consent for the other person to be with other people while he or she is serving., and, c., to not start a family, let alone get married, until the service has ended. If none of those are an option, or if it's too to prevent having to deal with a family, then a person needs to decide if they are capable, if there is cheating, of reconciliation or if he or she needs to end the relationship while still helping to raise their child (ren) together.

by the way, I suspect the incidences of infidelity among long haul truckers and their significant others is probably similar to whatever the actual number incidences of infidelity is among the stay at home significant others of people serving in the military. I. e., if you are away for months at a time, being cheated on should not come as much of a surprise, though it inevitably will for most people.

*The brain is still developing into the 20's and both men and women might not be able to fully appreciate the consequences of cheating while their partners are deployed, but I do understand that people cheat at a much later age range than their 20's.

0|1
    0|0
    • Very nice essay!
      Your MHO is inbound. Just you wait, buddy.

• Thank you, though I do hope you will give others more time to give their opinions. I don't want to discourage someone from trying to give an opinion which may be better.

• Sure thing. It's just, that essays like this aren't posted too often.

• It happens a lot, especially if she is away from family. Communication and a really good support system are musts if you want to prevent this.

0|2
    0|0
    • That might be true.
      Or maybe end the relationship on good terms before joining the army. A rebound may or may not happen. I find that to be very unlikely however.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• Same chance as him cheating on her. It happens A LOT the other way around too.
    It all depends on whether or not they're loyal people, and how strong their love is.

2|2
    0|0
  • low I think after it depend how much time they have been together I think. If it's only for 3 months and his mission is for 6 months then chance can get higher.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the man or woman.

0|1
    0|0
  • Id say its moderate for both sides to cheat.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• It is extremely common. Same goes for guys that have a serious illness or serious long-term injury. Most women will bail or cheat. The statistics on this are enough to turn guys off relationships forever.

0|1
    1|0
  • I read that it's pretty common. Women have needs and desires too. They can get just as lonely and frustrated as men. So my guess is that the chances are high.

0|1
    0|0
  • It happens often enough.

0|2
    0|0
  • i'd say it's moderate. maybe around half of all times.

0|1
    0|0
  • Moderate. Depends are they really in love. If they aren't, I don't blame her.

1|1
    0|0
  • Jody is relentless. Your avatar seems familiar and strangely compelling.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I had to make a guess, I would say 80 percent.

0|1
    1|0
    • That would be between high and very high. Probably closer to very high.

• 99.9%

0|1
    1|0

Recommended myTakes