Do you trust your intuition in relationships or wait for solid proof something is amiss?

How good is your intuition in relationships?
Is it something you’d be willing to base your choices on, in the absence of something more tangiable or do you need to have definite evidence of wrong doing even if your partner isn’t forthcoming with the facts before taking action?

• I trust my intuition and would act based on it and my suspicions alone
  • I trust my intuition but would wait for something to back up my feelings
  • I don’t listen to my intuition and feel it’s better to wait for proof or for them to come clean
    Vote C
  • I don’t have intuition
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E

3168

Most Helpful Guys

• For years whenever something of mine would go missing I would default to the idea that someone must have moved or taken it. I might even ask people outright where they moved it or why they took it. Almost invariably I would end up with egg on my face when I discovered that I had simply misplaced it.

These days if something is missing I default to "what did I do with it" and if I ask anyone anything regarding it it's more like "did you see me holding X? and do you know where I may have left it?"

It took years to work past this very base level of distrust and to realize that my motor memory fails me a lot more often than people do. My point here is that intuitive inclinations are not to be trusted. That one should strive to have dominion over their tendencies to jump to the worst possible conclusion as their first idea of what's going on.

• But yours have been proven to be incorrect - what of those who have had positive experiences with theirs? Why would they assume their intuition has failed them if it’s been right?

• A fair point... I've known others who think they have really good intuition. But still do what I'm talking about here, never having learned the lesson that I finally did. I think people assess their own intuition to be better than it actually is. That's the point here really. That even if one thinks they have good intuition (obviously I thought I had for many years). It's still entirely possible that it's a practice in self deception. That they are forgetting negative results and only recalling the positive results.

We can't even exactly pin down what intuition is or where precisely it resides (much like consciousness). Though it might be something like the proclivity to unconsciously assess variables and probability. But ultimately an action based on intuition is just a guess. I believe that a best course of action with intuition is inaction. To curtail one's want to make a move on their gut feeling and wait for the facts to roll in.

• Basically I treat it as I think it should be regarded. As an early warning system. Something that puts me on alert and tells me to pay more conscious attention. It should cause one to inspect the barn more closely. Not burn the barn down because they are suspicious of it. When people say trust your intuition. I think what they are really saying is act on your gut without thinking and let the facts prove you right or wrong later (whether they realize that's what they're saying or not). And that seems like terrible advise to me.

• I trusted my intuition for a good while as it kept misfiring until the worst break up, and then I learned to distrust it with all my might. :-D I'm not saying I do a perfect job of distrusting my intuitions, but I at least learned to put in an effort.

That comes to distrusting my intuitions both ways -- intuitions that are favorable towards the person as well as intuitions that are not. Though my tendency was to see the person in too favorable of a light.

• I'd say my intuitions are generally awful. I started off really bad in Poker, for example, since I was going by my intuitions rather than factoring in wider hand ranges and pot equity. When I started taking a more logical and mathematical approach to the game while distrusting my intuitions, I started to do so, so, so much better.

• Though I think Poker really offers a lot of insight. There are intuitive and old school poker players who are great, but they are not doing anything different from the new school kind of mathematical players except that the instinctive players are doing this all very subconsciously. They picked up things like deducing hand ranges without making it a formal and rather scientific process. I always needed to turn something into more of a formal process in order to start accurately assigning the probabilities to each possible outcome that might occur given some imperfect information.

• >> Maybe your intuition is faulty and going against it is actually going with it

That's going to lead me down a recursive mental loop! Like my intuition realizes my intuition is faulty and is intuitively seeking to rectify it. :-D It hurts my brain to think about this.

Most Helpful Girls

• I used to trust my intuition until I got cheated on. My intuition told me something was off but he kept lying saying it’s all in my head and I’m insecure etc. by the time the truth really came out he was long gone with no explanation. So I felt dumb for a long time for not trusting myself. I’m learning to trust my intuition again. But now I’m always trying to figure out is it my intuition or my insecurities. It’s a constant battle. I’m getting better though.

• So you don’t trust it more now knowing you were right the first time?

• Well now I don't know if it’s my intuition or my insecurities from being cheated on. It’s kind of like I look at my new boyfriend like yeah you’re probably lying. Which isn’t fair to him.

• I'm one who always gives a person the benifit of the doubt unless I know some history about the person to where he/she has dirt on them. So unless I'm able to find dirt within the situation, I tend to not go overboard on just instincts alone as my "instincts" can cause me to become paranoid with trust issues.

• I think you’ve hit it there - finding the line between allowing intuition to guide you and letting paranoia take over