Ladies, would you want your man to propose to you in public or private?

Ladies, would you want your man to propose to you in public or private?
I'm curious of what women will answer. I think a public proposals are special and says I love her and I want the whole world to see it, but at the same time I wouldn't want to put her under a lot of social pressure and make her think she has to say yes. by the way, I'm not proposing this question is out of curiosity.
  • Ladies, would you want your man to propose to you in public or private?PUBLIC
    Vote A
  • Ladies, would you want your man to propose to you in public or private?PRIVATE
    Vote B
  • OTHER
    Vote C
  • SEE THE POLE
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• "Proposing" is private affair between two people/couple. Unless, the person proposing is going to be 100% sure about the answer and is sure it's not going be uneventful for him/her or in anyway embarrassing, he/she avoid making it a "public affair". 😇💕

4|1
    0|0
  • I'd like it done privately. It'll feel more personal and romantic, plus I'm a low-key person.

Even if it was 2 people watching fireworks in public but without surrounded by crowds, say in a park and everybody's watching the fireworks from their own location within the park. If proposal happened between the two, that I'll still consider it privately done, as long as it does not gather public attention I'd be fine with it.

Candlelight dinner, or candle trail to bedroom, and/or roses and petals would be very personal and romantic, but I won't expect that. It's hard for me to imagine the amount of men who would still do something so classic and romantic these days.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• If they have discussed it previously, and both parties are in agreement, then I see nothing wrong with a public proposal.

However, I myself prefer a private one. I proposed privately to my wife.

One of my friends proposed to his wife at Alcatraz, which is sort of public. A colleague was proposed to in front of the entire school. She enthusiastically agreed and all the kids congratulated her. My friend's ex proposed to his current wife on the jumbotron at Dodgers Stadium. Again, she said yes enthusiastically (and the accompanying kiss showed it). In all three cases, they were certain of the answer. All three women were pleasantly surprised.

When done properly, a public proposal isn't necessarily a pressure tactic. It's not my way, but I begrudge no one if it is their way.

0|0
    0|0
  • I once saw a guy propose in fucking McDonalds of all places. I don’t know what shocked me more, the fact that he did it or the fact that she said yes!!

0|1
    0|0
    • The only reason I could thing of is maybe they met in a McDonald's.

• Even if I met my boyfriend at McDonalds I wouldn’t want him to propose there. McDonald’s doesn’t exactly scream “Romantic and intimacy”, the proposal must have some class.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 77

• I'd definitely want a private proposal.

5|0
    0|0
  • Private I hate surprises

4|0
    0|0
  • If not in private with just him and I, I imagine it with close intimate friends or family that are in on the surprise too. I find a proposal to be an intimate moment that isn't needed with a group of spectators. My eldest bro had planned to propose to his long time girlfriend on a skiing/boarding trip with a few close friends and family, two of his friends, my other brother and I were there to witness and capture the moment, and I had found it to be a good amount of people.

My bro had pretended to fall midway while boarding by taking the lead in going down the slope first and created a scene where he had hurt his leg. I was in on it to pretend to stop and check up on him as his girlfriend at the time followed behind me. As she helped him up he pretended to groan about his calf and he pulled out a box with the ring while still on the ground and asked the question. It was a perfect scene, in the evening with light snow overlooking a gorgeous view of snow covered evergreens to hear her choke up a yes with happy tears.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like "public" in an intimate setting. I'm "Let's tell the whole world" - kind of person :) I assume that proposal is not done when one isn't sure about whether the other one is on board. Proposals to "fix things" I don't like, which would be extremely embarrassing in any setting.

0|0
    0|0
  • when it is the right time, public or private. i dont want a performance... those are for audiences, not me. but if we are over looking the grand canyon and the beauty makes my boyfriend inspired to just ask... well then go for it! why would i care if there were people around? because for the moment there really will be no one else, except for the two of us.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just us two. I don't want the special memory to be ruined by other ppl's reactions, words or facial expressions. I want it to be just us and absorb all that he says and does in that moment.
    That's if I love him (I'd never be in a relationship if I didn't)

Private proposals also reduces the pressure like you said. So I think I would be more comfortable in that situation and be able to focus more on him rather than all the people staring at us aha

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd prefer private because I'm a shy person but I suppose if I loved someone and they proposed publicly I'd be embarrassed at attention being on me and would likely be beet red. I'd survive though and if I really loved the person I'd still say yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • For prom I remember I got asked out on my birthday on a group chat in front of the whole year group, friends and classmates. And honestly I thought that was the best thing ever. It’s public but at the same time not exaggerated or fake it’s honest. So I prefer something I know care from the heart not necessarily solely to impress me

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a simple girl, I want a private well thought out proposal. Something intimate.

Funnily enough, I found out after and ex and I broke up that he had purchased a ring and planned to propose to me at my college graduation. I would have said yes (if we were not broken up!) but why in public? It's like he didn't even listen (bc we had talked about this before)

0|0
    0|0
  • If she is shy, definitely private. Even though she loves you and wants to say yes, she might feel pressured to say it because everyone expects her to and she could change her mind. Depends on her personality, though. Good luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t want it to be too public. A semi public location is fine though. Or private. I just want the location to be special. And I like the idea of a friend being there to take picture.

0|0
    0|0
  • Private. It feels like when it is public there is a pressure to say yes PLUS people take pictures or videos and you may not know who could make it viral or make a scandal/fake news out of it. I feel like people are very much vulnerable these days and maintaining privacy in such personal things is crucial.

0|0
    0|0
  • I want something like a dinner date where he leads in to it and then maybe get up and walk outside or something. He gets on one knee and proposes and then all my family and friends come running around the corner having filmed the best moment of our lives! I’d love a video of it later 😊😍

0|0
    0|0
  • Either like no proposal/marriage, or a mutual decision. I ain't doing that soppy proposal crap.

0|3
    1|2
  • I Think it's a very bad idea to propose in public unless you've talked about it and she's told you that she's ready to get married and that she likes public proposals.
    If you have had that conversation, keep it private.
    Personally, if someone proposed tonne publicly and I wasn't ready to get engaged to them, I'd say yes anyway to save embarrassment then give the ring back immediately as soon as we're alone

0|0
    0|0
  • Private

I don't like big showy public display. It's too false.

I'd prefer it to be in private, with just the two of us present

1|0
    0|0
  • Private. I don't enjoy having too much attention on me and I don't want to feel pressure to say yes

0|3
    0|0
  • I'd like him to propose somewhere else than at home, but at the same time I'd prefer it to be rather private. The moment should be about us, there's no need for strangers to see it.

1|0
    1|0
  • Proposing is a personal situation, but some girls like the spectacle of it all. The main thing is you need to have had the conversation with her, in regards to getting engaged, and if you you know her as a person, you'll know what she'll enjoy because hopefully she'll have told you. I personally prefer a private engagement, maybe at a place thats significant to him and I, but I know other ladies who got married and the proposal was public, they loved it because it was unique to them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Private I want that time to just be me and them in that moment and nothing else, I think that's romantic af

2|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 29

• i'm not a lady but if i'm a lady i would choose private because i don't want to feel like i'm being pressured into saying yes with a crowd cheering for me to say yes, and if i do say no, the guy will look so bad in front of a crowd of strangers.

3|0
    0|0
  • This is a very interesting and fresh question I've never seen on here before. I was excited to see the answers and surprised by how one sided it was.

Men need to see this. Intimate moments need to be private, and apparently this counts as one. Good to know!

0|0
    0|0
  • My dude as a hopeless romantic and helping others best way is a private setting. Remember your asking a big thing here I mean your whole life with someone else. If you want to record her reaction then do it :) but respect that her wishes

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd think the only thing worse than doing say during a date in public would be showing up to her work to propose.

0|0
    0|0
  • no matter where i was with the right woman... i'd stop the world to propose. i think that public picture sums it up though. a very public moment can be made very private.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would ask her if she wants to be proposed (is that how you say it? lol) in private or public? Just kidding..
    I would probably do it in private, much more intimate and i can prepare something like that bed with the roses or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did in private, outdoors, when there were only the two of us there.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd propose to girls in private. The thing is that you wouldn't know if the girl wants to marry the guy. If the girl doesn't want to get married, all you'd do is embarrass her.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd prefer to propose In private as it is something that my S/O and I would cherish as an intimate moment in our lives.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a fan. It should be a private matter between the lovers, no matter how sure you are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Public puts the girl in a really uncomfortable position. It's seen as "romantic" but actually it's a total dick move especially if she wants to say no

0|0
    0|0
  • For me, the proposal itself would be private. I think that a public proposal could put pressure on my partner or make them slightly uncomfortable.

0|0
    0|0
  • All the girls want a private proposal so they can say "no" without looking mean.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im not female
    But i think by asking her in public, you are putting her under pressure

0|0
    0|0
  • private but head yo a public place to enjoy each othet

0|0
    0|0
  • Under NO circumstances would I do it in public

2|0
    0|0