After how long being in a relationship can you say you’re in a long term relationship?

A month? 3 months? A year? 5 years? What is long term?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• As soon as you consider it "long term", it's long term.
    There is really no objective indication when something is "long", only subjective interpretation, or comparative interpretation.
    If you feel like you've been together for a long time, that makes it a long time. If you have been together for 6 months longer than your previous relation, it's comparatively more long than the previous one.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think there's a specific time limit that applies to all cases. To me I think it's a combination of time and seriousness and intent, but definitely not months in any situation.

For a couple that sees each other frequently, are exclusive, are committed to each other and intend to remain together permanently then I would say it's a long term relationship after about 2 years or maybe a year and a half.

For a couple that sees each other occasionally and it's a more casual relationship with no deep commitment or no real intent for it to be permanent, then I wouldn't really consider it a "long term relationship" even if they've been together for 5 years. It's still a casual relationship that has just lasted a long time.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always considered it to be more about intent than milestones.

A "casual" relationship in which neither party is looking for any serious commitment or advancement would still be a casual relationship even if it managed to survive for years.

A "short term" relationship is one that neither party intends to keep going, specifically avoiding things like commitment, intending to end it if that ever becomes an issue.

A "long term" relationship is one where both of the people in it are c committed to it's advancement and success.

2|2
    1|0
  • I suppose it depends on a lot of factors.

The age of the couple.
    The goals of the couple.

Just to name two.

When my husband and I started dating we were 16 and 18, respectively. We had been friends for years prior to dating so we knew each other very well when we went on our first date. On said first date we both agreed that we were dating to find a spouse and were going to date seriously. We both had the goal to be long term. Due to our age, we were considered a "long term relationship" after six months.

That was 7 years ago lol

I think we absolutely qualify now haha

Some other, older couples, might not think it's long term until a year or more.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 36

• From the other answers here it seems to differ somewhat between people. But I would consider anything less than one year to be a short term relationship and anything longer than one year is long term.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the answer to this is very relative based on reincarnation and all that, and really happened to me to get the feeling I know a person since many lives, realities and dimensions so even if I did had 8 years relation I think sometimes after a month you can get the feeling of long term relationships and it may last even forever

0|0
    0|0
  • you're not in a term relationship unless you plan on it being over. You are just "in a relationship" which is fine, and normal. Saying Long-term or short-term indicates you have failure expectations.

0|1
    0|0
  • In my opinion a long term relationship is a relationship with someone for a year to over how many continuous years is Happened.
    I wouldn’t want a relationship that last a few months, that’s just shitty.
    It’s depends on the people morales I know. Some like the friends with benefits, hook up thing.
    I haven’t dated much tbh, just enjoying life and seeing what each year brings.😊

0|0
    0|0
  • "long term relationship" always refers to me to the commitment one makes when entering a relationship. So for me it doesn't refer to the time that was passed while I am in that rs but how long it will hopefully last.

0|1
    0|0
  • A relationship lasts from the first time a bitch spreads her legs (first or second date) until i get tired and dump her ass. it's completely up to her. As long as she keeps me interested I will stay around. All relationships are long-term from that perspective.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not about how long you've been together. It's about how long you plan to stay together.

4|1
    0|0
  • Well, I think if you cross these three milestones you could consider it a long-term relationship: meet the parents, live together, and openly joke about marriage or about being together for the next five years.

0|0
    0|0
  • If a longterm relationship to someone is in month they obviously dont stay in relationships. For me you have have a few anniversaries for it to be long. I'd say minimum 3 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • 6 months to a year. After 6 months if there are already goals and plans 6 months out that is a long term relationship.

0|0
    0|0
    • What if one person wants to be serious and the other doesn't want to be serious? Is it best to end it or try to make it work?

• When you meet someone and figure out there is chemistry then you should talk about what kind of relationship you want. You do that by describing your goals and seeing where they would align with your SO. Not everyone has similar pasts and wants the same future. If you two have different goals in life what you need to decide is can you make it work. For example if she wants to be serious now and you are not quite ready to settle down then you could compromise and begin a short term relationship. You could tell her that while you are not looking to get married anytime soon, you are willing to be with her, learn about her, and see where your feelings take you through the end of the year. If by then goals and feelings haven’t changed then it may not work out. That way both people have clear expectations and can live day to day without surprises in the relationship.

• Long term is wen you made your mind up to not fuck around and stick to one person and be happy devote your time attention etc

1|2
    0|0
  • Only after that certain something tells me no time frame and without doubt would have to sex many times to ensure she likes sex as much as me

0|0
    0|0
  • Weĺl I would think it is more about the expectation maybe? That it is a committed relationship and not just a little fling

0|1
    0|0
  • All real relationships are ling term are they not? We would say that it becomes long term when you both discuss and agree on it (so romantic).

0|0
    0|0
  • The average length of a realtionship is now down to just 2 years if you believe the studies and surveys so anything beyond that is long-term to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • The relationship becomes official when he agrees to go shoe shopping with you.

1|0
    0|0
  • "A month" lol. If that qualifies as long-term, I'd hate to see what short-term is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was married 36 plus years.. that a long relationship

0|1
    0|0
  • If you have been in a long term relationship before it’s half the previous relationship, if this is your first one. I would say 2 years is solid. My ex was with her new guy for a year and I laughed when I found out that’s all that lasted. Consider it as though it were a job. Your first anniversary is like woohoo your second anniversary is about stepping it up a notch and that’s when it starts to get serious.

The previous method. For example I was with my ex for 6.5 years so my next relationship that’s going to be considered long term will be anout 2.5 to three years probably more like three only because you’re already used to being with someone for so long, but hey that’s my take 🍻

0|0
    0|0
  • When you crumble to dust together, like at the end of Zardoz.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the threshold would be a year.

0|0
    0|0
  • 3+ years

0|0
    1|0
  • I would say at least 2 years, but 3 feels better

0|0
    1|0
  • 2 or 3 months

0|0
    2|0
  • Three or four dates

0|0
    1|0
    • Really. After three or four dates. You really get the feel if this person have potential to go long term.

Younger age is inexperienced while when you get older. You really know what you want. Of course there nothing wrong in taking a chance for about month. By then. You should really know. And just to put it out there. Sex isn’t a factor.

• Show All
    • lmao he replied to himself

• No. Wanted to explain why.

• Several years

0|0
    1|0
  • At least two years.

0|1
    0|0
  • 5 years.

0|0
    1|0
  • I would say at least a year.

1|0
    0|0
  • After a year, l guess.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 23

• I’d say over a year. That’s around the time that people start saying, “Wow! You’re still dating?”

1|0
    0|0
    • Only high school kids say that 😂 I remeber in middle school this couple was toghter longer then a year. I was like holly shit how have you not broken up by now lol

• ^^^^^ that’s true

• I think it's a commitment thing. My fiancé and I have only been together for 14 months but we have a 3 week old baby and we got engaged after 9 months of being together. We've been living together almost since day 1 (we used to drink a lot when we first got together so he would just end up staying the night).
    Obviously that's definitely not how most relationships are but it's what works for us. We are completely devoted to each other and plan to stay that way. Aka, long term.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s up to the couple. If they feel it’s going to last and they only want to be with each other even after a month and your not thinking of anyone else but that person.

0|0
    0|0
  • The day you mutually say “I love you” it becomes long term, in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say over 2-3 years maybe? Definetely not after just a few months xD

0|0
    1|0
  • I’ve been in a relationship for a year and I consider it a long term one.

0|0
    0|0
  • After the first Häagen-Dasz I knew it would be forever😊

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably 6 months to a year and after

0|0
    0|0
  • A year or or more in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I took me 1 year and a few months.