After how long being in a relationship can you say you’re in a long term relationship?

A month? 3 months? A year? 5 years? What is long term?

2538

Most Helpful Guys

• As soon as you consider it "long term", it's long term.
    There is really no objective indication when something is "long", only subjective interpretation, or comparative interpretation.
    If you feel like you've been together for a long time, that makes it a long time. If you have been together for 6 months longer than your previous relation, it's comparatively more long than the previous one.

• I don't think there's a specific time limit that applies to all cases. To me I think it's a combination of time and seriousness and intent, but definitely not months in any situation.

For a couple that sees each other frequently, are exclusive, are committed to each other and intend to remain together permanently then I would say it's a long term relationship after about 2 years or maybe a year and a half.

For a couple that sees each other occasionally and it's a more casual relationship with no deep commitment or no real intent for it to be permanent, then I wouldn't really consider it a "long term relationship" even if they've been together for 5 years. It's still a casual relationship that has just lasted a long time.

Most Helpful Girls

• Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always considered it to be more about intent than milestones.

A "casual" relationship in which neither party is looking for any serious commitment or advancement would still be a casual relationship even if it managed to survive for years.

A "short term" relationship is one that neither party intends to keep going, specifically avoiding things like commitment, intending to end it if that ever becomes an issue.

A "long term" relationship is one where both of the people in it are c committed to it's advancement and success.

• I suppose it depends on a lot of factors.

The age of the couple.
    The goals of the couple.

Just to name two.

When my husband and I started dating we were 16 and 18, respectively. We had been friends for years prior to dating so we knew each other very well when we went on our first date. On said first date we both agreed that we were dating to find a spouse and were going to date seriously. We both had the goal to be long term. Due to our age, we were considered a "long term relationship" after six months.

That was 7 years ago lol

I think we absolutely qualify now haha

Some other, older couples, might not think it's long term until a year or more.