How do you respond when a close friend has skepticism about your new relationship?

How do you respond when a close friend has skepticism about your new relationship?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Friends only want the best for you, so there must be a reason or a motive for them doing this. Otherwise they're not your real friends. However, a friend may only have limited perspective, so you should talk it out with them or even your partner.

1|1
    0|0
  • Ask your new partner to address some of the concerns if they are legit. Suggest that your friend meet your new partner sometime.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I'd ask why. If they are a friend I count on them to be open and honest with me and know that whatever they say isn't meant to be malicious or hurt my feelings. After all, they may know something about the guy that I don't. They may know ME better than myself, too, and can foresee problems arising before it happens.

1|0
    0|0
  • Prepare yourself for the “I told you so” if it goes wrong. And if you truly believe in your relationship, prove them wrong.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 36

• Depends on why. If they know something I need to know, then I want to know. If it's just a bad feeling or random suspicion, I probably wouldn't care. This has never really happened to me, and probably never would because no one is more skeptical of my love interests than I am.

1|1
    0|0
  • Its my relationship not yours but I will still listen to him cuz in their curiosity to turn me against that person for variety of reason, they usually give me a very good intel about girl under consideration.
    They try to search for dirt on her and feed it to me... like my friends call my G. F of 8 years manipulator cuz according to them She is very possessive and demanding.

1|0
    0|0
  • Take it in consideration, if they are a close friend they should want the best for you. They may be seeing something that you are oblivious to. Ask them what they are skeptical about, and watch for signs to see if it something you should worry about

2|1
    0|0
  • Hmm this depends on the nature of your friend. Truth be told, some friends are bitter, jealous, etc. They don't want you to be happy; therefore. they will find problems where there aren't any. Sometimes this is done intentionally, other times it's done subconsciously.
    Other times, these concerns are legit. Take time to address his or her concerns , while thinking why is he or she telling me this. Does he or she truly have my best interest at heart, or is there something else going on.

1|0
    0|0
  • When I was younger, I blew it off. Now, if it’s a good friend, listen and pay closer attention to the whole picture. Chances are, especially with female friends, that they are right.

2|1
    0|0
  • What kind of skepticism? In your new boyfriend, or just generally about your new relationship and how lasting it'll be? Or in you maybe? But you can just ask them why they think that.
    Whatever it is, i think it's your choice, no matter what others say, they might be right in some things, but that's something only you can decide.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask them about why they feel that way. Listen to what they say. They may have some good insight and see something about your relationship that you may not. A lot of times when you are interested in someone, you may be blinded to their faults, friends can help you see the bigger picture.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a popular problem. Friends may be jealous just like anyone because you may start investing less time in them. Don't give in, and don't forget your old friends either.

1|0
    0|0
  • Im not used to have that problem, but if I had, I would listen and study on silent and would see if its a real problem to me or not.
    But almost always is something which will affect them more than you.

1|0
    0|0
  • It hurts. I asked my older brother to be the best man at my wedding. He said he'd have to think about it. I shoulda told him to bugger himself.

1|1
    0|0
  • I wait before I get mad to see how well it goes with the new 1 cuz I've had friends say bad things about them
    Then later they were right

2|1
    0|0
  • I dont. They had their say, they are looking out for me and hope they ar wrong, I take it on board and deceide for myself if they are right. After they day their piece the matter is closed

0|0
    0|0
  • Either your friend is being jealous so just brush it off or listen carefully if they have some valid points.

1|0
    0|0
  • Keep there nose to themselfs and wind there neck back in nothing to do with any one who l date we do things our way far to many jealous people going about

1|0
    0|0
  • I usually ignore them until the relationship goes bad, and I then see what they were saying

1|0
    0|0
  • Usually people outside a relationship have the clearest vision, especially if you give them all the facts. I'd listen (I hope lol).

1|0
    0|0
  • Listen to them and do the things what you feel right.

1|0
    0|0
  • I appreciate your concern, but i'd like to give it a try first and see what happens.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they don't have proof of something, not interested.

1|1
    0|0
  • In healthy relationship there where no place for skepticism, just talk to your best friend why he is worrie.

1|0
    0|0
  • Stay objective. I mean I've been on the wrong side of hate-I've been through hell pretty much all my life-nothing like this

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't listen and just come up with my own decision.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask about the skepticism. If anyone has information that is helpful in any way, I would welcome it. However, I'm not going to break up with someone without a valid reason. If they can't/won't tell me why they don't like the person I'm dating, then I will not break up just on that alone. You MUST give me a valid, honest reason. I would look into it and verify what I can. In the end, I would ask her if it's true or not. If she lies to me, then it's over. If she tells me the truth, then that's that.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would not worry about what they think as long as you both care for each other

1|0
    0|0
  • I've been burnt before by not listening to a friend. After One very expensive divorce I now listen carefully to advice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is entitle to an opinion, so I wouldn't take it personally but if they continued to be skeptic then I'd probably take personally.

0|0
    0|0
  • I ask myself does this person have my self interest in my mind. And why does this person think this

0|0
    0|0
  • I just ignore them and carry on with my relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ask them to give it time to settle, and we will know how good or bad it is in a while.

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't. It's none of their business.

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 20

• Blow it off unless she has had a perfect 45 year marriage

1|2
    2|0
  • You take their skepticism into consideration and go on with your relationship. At the end of the day it is your relationship. We love our friends but they have to let us go through life.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah... I don't care for that. I've had girlfriends try to play the keepin it real sapphire Earth mother with me, giving me advice I didn't really want about a guy I'm dating. Usually it's a guy *they* wouldn't date. I usually feel like there's some jealousy, too. I tend to get so much attention that some of my friends think I'm too self-involved to get that some guys are slugs.

0|0
    0|0
  • You must listen, they know you and can see the situation without the rose colored glasses. Now don’t necessarily do what they say is better but at least hear it and consider it.

1|1
    0|0
  • I probably won't immediately change my behavior. But i'll subconsciously judge my new beau on that criteria the next time I see him. Usually i can see where my friend is coming from, I ask myself if its really that bad/ problematic for me. for example, like weird cleaning habits could just be a personal quirk or yeah, it could be a sign of a controlling personality. I mean, everyone is allowed to be weird and everyone is allowed to have strange dealbreakers. I always respect my friends advice even if I dont just "act on it", else what's the point of having friends?

1|0
    0|0
  • depends on which friend it is coming from & what their concern is

1|1
    0|0
  • Id ask for a rational reason as to why they feel this way. If their opinion seems reasonable, I’d also have my doubts. (Ir also depends how much I trust this person)

0|0
    0|0
  • I would ask them to explain me why they feel that way and take it into account. I trust my friends therefore their opinion matters a lot to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • You need to tell her to leave y'all alone because y'all truly love each other

1|0
    0|0
    • And tell her it none of her business what we do etc

Now if she caught him cheating she needs to have proof so she can show.

• Ill say thanks for your concern. Added with some ya yup ok. Then move ahead with what I cosider to be correct.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tell her to mind her own business or find some dick, I don't know 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends, you're not exactly giving us details of what she's concerned about. Which makes me think she has a legit reason to be concerned.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the friend and their motives could vary. Usually friends see past the infatuation that you originally have with the person and take a good look at the negatives. Most of the time they’re looking for what’s in your best interest, but sometimes they could just be jealous that your new love interest is taking time away from them being able to talk and hang out with you. If it’s a good friend though, look into what they’re doubting and be honest with yourself and your partner. I wish you the best of luck:)

1|0
    0|0
  • I would listen to their reasons and come to my own conclusions. If their reasons are irrational, I would let them know that.

0|0
    0|0
  • It has happened to me many times.
    Jealousy.

1|0
    0|0
  • I listen carefully.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends if she's right or not

1|0
    0|0