After what amount of time you have been with your partner do you think its appropriate to buy their family Christmas presents?

Updates:
I've been dating my boyfriend for 4 months, we are in a ldr and I've met them twice and I am meeting them again soon for my bfs birthday.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think if you've been with your partner long enough for them to start treating you as family and you have personal relationships with them. Otherwise, let your partner deal with it.
    You could always buy them a token, respectful present such as food.

2|0
    0|0
  • I would say it’s ok now, especially if the last two meetings went well. I don’t think you have to get them all idividual gifts especially if they have a big family, but maybe a nice bottle of wine for mom and dad if they drink. I don’t think it’s inappropriate. I think the first time you met his parents solidified that he was serious about you, so I believe it wouldn’t be wrong to get gifts for his family if you choose to do so.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depends on the situation. I've been together with my ex-boyfriend for 3 years, and we never bought Christmas presents for the other one's family, because we were living away from our parents, and I barely saw them, let aside interact properly with them.
    But if you have the kind of relationship where you meet up with his mom every once in a while to grab a coffee, or go shopping together, or stuff like that, then yeah, definitely. If you met them once or twice, by accident, then I'd say it is a bit too early, and it might feel like you are pushing yourself on them.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• I think it would be a nice gesture even if you are just meeting them for the first time. It shows you are festive and that you are looking to be a welcomed addition to the family.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd probably say you can if you want. Something small is fine. But maybe after a year

1|0
    0|0
  • In your case, I say about 5 more weeks would probably be just about right.

1|0
    0|0
  • Dude you give gifts to your friends too, so there isn't any appropriate time to give a gift

1|0
    0|0
  • When they buy me Christmas presents and I try to make it up to them on birthdays..

1|0
    0|0
  • A few months I would say, keep it simple and not too expensive

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say wait till you kinda hung out and talked to them for a while.

1|0
    0|0
  • I mean dont buy something how about make something small?

But usually around 4 months and past

1|0
    0|0
  • Depending on the relationship and understanding you guys have for each other

1|0
    0|0
  • I think when you can remember their names.

1|1
    0|0
  • Never. Wake up, Christmas isn't real 🤦‍♂️

1|0
    2|0
  • After 6 months.

1|0
    0|0
  • 1month

1|0
    1|0
  • never

1|0
    0|0
  • i don't even consider ldr's to be relationhips

1|0
    1|0
  • Sure. What are you Puerto Rican?

1|0
    0|0
  • 1 month

1|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 8

• That's a bit early. But I think it depends more on what kind of relationship you an his family have then how long you've been with him. But meeting them twice probaly means you haven't build anything with them yet. You could bring other things like self made cookies or wine or chocolate

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s very individual. I’ve only been with my boyfriend for about 6 months, but I’ll definitely buy his mom a present. I see her all the time since he still lives at home, and she hinted that she got something for me, so it would be awkward if I didn’t give her anything.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think it depends on financial situation, age of the family members, how well you know them, etc. My brother and his girlfriend sometimes would give joint gifts from the both of them

1|0
    0|0
  • If you're invited to their place I think it is appropriate to get them a gift. If not, I'd rather save the money.

2|1
    0|0
  • You could do a home made card. But don't surcome to that consumerist if culture g.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't rush it when the time comes you will know

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah! I think that's sweet! <3

2|0
    0|0
  • 9 months

1|0
    0|0
    • It depends how close you are not how long you've known them for...

Recommended myTakes