Can you honestly be friends with an ex partner?

3363

Most Helpful Guys

• I did. I stayed friends with one of my exes for years after we broke up. She even came to my wedding (with the consent of my wife who knew about the prior relationship) and a year or so later went on a week long vacation with my sister-in-law, my wife and me.

We stayed in contact for probably about 10 years, though a lot of that time we weren't living in the same area. We only lost contact after she got married and had a baby and she stopped responding.

If we crossed paths again I'd be willing to be her friend again because I liked her as a person.

I also have another ex that I'm still connected with on social media.

My girlfriend has several exes that she stays in contact with. Neither of us see that as a problem because we know those romantic relationships are over and we're committed to each other now.

• Not anytime soon after a break up. For me personally, it would have to be long after the split, and I would more than likely have had to fall in love with someone else. Otherwise, being just friends with them would be a recipe for trouble. I wouldn’t want to be friends with any of my exes. If you’re considering it, it’s more than likely because you still have feelings for them, and simply want them present in your life. I’ve been there before. If this is the case, then I’d absolutely advise against trying to be friends— you’ll more than likely only get hurt. Good luck!

Most Helpful Girls

• I tried because I am stupid. It is easier to not do this. For example I had to listen to him talking about the girls he met and asking me if I like women he showed me at photos. I still had feelings for him and I sat there listening all this shit. No I would never do this again in my life. When a guy leaves I will show him the door kick him out close the door and lock it

• There's a reason they're called "exes." Nope.

I tried that with one of my exes- it worked out for a bit until he started telling mutual friends things I told him in confidence and discussed our sex life with others.

Yeah, I decided our friendship wore out its welcome, lol.
    I will be civil and polite to an ex, but not friends.