Can you honestly be friends with an ex partner?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I did. I stayed friends with one of my exes for years after we broke up. She even came to my wedding (with the consent of my wife who knew about the prior relationship) and a year or so later went on a week long vacation with my sister-in-law, my wife and me.

We stayed in contact for probably about 10 years, though a lot of that time we weren't living in the same area. We only lost contact after she got married and had a baby and she stopped responding.

If we crossed paths again I'd be willing to be her friend again because I liked her as a person.

I also have another ex that I'm still connected with on social media.

My girlfriend has several exes that she stays in contact with. Neither of us see that as a problem because we know those romantic relationships are over and we're committed to each other now.

2|0
    1|0
  • Not anytime soon after a break up. For me personally, it would have to be long after the split, and I would more than likely have had to fall in love with someone else. Otherwise, being just friends with them would be a recipe for trouble. I wouldn’t want to be friends with any of my exes. If you’re considering it, it’s more than likely because you still have feelings for them, and simply want them present in your life. I’ve been there before. If this is the case, then I’d absolutely advise against trying to be friends— you’ll more than likely only get hurt. Good luck!

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I tried because I am stupid. It is easier to not do this. For example I had to listen to him talking about the girls he met and asking me if I like women he showed me at photos. I still had feelings for him and I sat there listening all this shit. No I would never do this again in my life. When a guy leaves I will show him the door kick him out close the door and lock it

2|0
    0|0
  • There's a reason they're called "exes." Nope.

I tried that with one of my exes- it worked out for a bit until he started telling mutual friends things I told him in confidence and discussed our sex life with others.

Yeah, I decided our friendship wore out its welcome, lol.
    I will be civil and polite to an ex, but not friends.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 61

• Yes. I stayed very good friends with my longest term ex. I'm sure we would have continued being friends many years longer if I had not moved out of state.

I have never been on bad terms with any girlfriend, or even anyone I only dated once or twice.

1|1
    0|0
    • Did you get some pussy on the side every now and then. I hope so.

• I actually have been friends with an ex-girlfriend for years. We had a dog together and we remained friends after we split up and I helped her take care of the dog. Normally remaining friends after splitting up does not work, but in this case it did.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes you can. If you're completely mature towards each other you would see why they can't be together that particular formula has dissolved. So you can have fun and no ill feelings in that dept. Its about being real. The facts speak for themselves.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you can be friends with an ex partner but here's the problem when you get a new boyfriend he's not going to like you being friends with your ex and if these feelings and emotions still there then it's definitely not good either because things are still going to happen you can't get over somebody until you make a clean break from them and give yourself a chance to heal and get over them

2|0
    0|0
  • I've tried to do so, but only temporarily.
    Our relationship formed from a friendship and we wrere both part of the same friend group.
    So when we broke up, I tried staying friends for the sake of the friend group. But I later found out that our mutual friends grew to dislike my ex, so I took that as my cue to stop talking to her as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it'd be easier for me, being exs also means that we were close to each others most private, intimate, and most inner parts of ourselves. I think just knowing about those it can propel the friendship, and it also means easier ways to connect to their inner selves. It'd still matter how the relationship ended ;)

2|0
    0|0
  • I was friends with my first wife after we divorced. Her new boyfriends and I always got along as did she with my new girlfriends. Her and I were good friends before we were married. We both kind of knew that we should have kept it that way. Anyway, I think that’s why it worked out being friends after. Until she moved out of state.

1|0
    0|0
  • well, it's worked for me but i miss my ex >_< she expressed that she wanted to go back to being friends and when it was gonna go better with her and when she knew me a lot better that might change but probably not for now.
    nor do i want to stay a fucking dog so i should probably try to get over it but i can't >_____

1|0
    0|0
  • It ain't real friendship, if there isn't any sexual activity involved. Sure, I wouldn't expect to fuck her, but if we are friends, I would expect at least a simple hand job whenever we meet.

1|2
    1|0
    • Well said champ

• Show All
    • 7d

I think you're being childish and immature by calling me "anti-sex" and yes I support women's rights but that does not mean I don't like men, I support human rights. I like men, I have a boyfriend we love each other deeply and we have sex but also we support each other through life. I'm not anti sex, everyone enjoys the activity.

• 7d

Friends can love each other too.. you think romantic love is the only kind of love.. yep if there is no form of sexual activity in a male and female friendship, the female is just using the man, period. No this is not friends with benefits.. because this is not fucking. You are the one immature, not me. As if the hand job was a one way deal.. give me a break.

• Factors that determine if you can be friends with your ex
    companion/ passionate relationship only type
    mutual break up.
    short relationship
    emotional detachment
    Appropriate period of separation and distancing
    Clear mindset of what is friends and relationships

1|0
    0|0
  • You have to ask yourself are u keeping him around because u like/d him or because he adds value to your life in a giant way (usually just u liking him tbh) and that decides wether u keep him around or not. If he's that valuable be with him if u love or he adds value to your life keep him close if u are keeping him around because he's cute or because u liked him thats not right

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, absolutely. I no interest in many of my exes and I think they are the same, but we are still friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • i really dont think so which is why my best friends breaking up is very sad to me because i dont want them to not be friends because then it would suck and i would have to pick a side and i dont want to do that because i love both of them
    adfkdanfdlkfjsdl;akfjs

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the kind of break up. The unfaithful breakup like cheating or shallow reason on to hang out with someone else, i can't stay friends with her relationship didn't work and made an agreement then we can be friends

1|0
    0|0
  • In my experience,... no. Plain & simple, no. The percentage of being friends again with an ex partner is very, very low. That's like sometimes or once in a blue moon that can happen, but not often.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.
    Depends on how mature both of you are.
    How you two did end it...
    If one of you still wants the other one.
    And so on.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the depth of the relationship you had
    If it was a shallow one sure you can

1|1
    0|0
  • Sure why not just because you dont fuck anymore doesn't mean you can't have fun together and hang out

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, if the reasons you break up are not acrimonious and you were good friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the ex. Some I can and with some there is no way.

2|0
    0|0
  • If the separation is amicable and there are no feelings left.

2|0
    0|0
  • in my experience no not really. Not even someone you've been on a date or two with and not had sex sex with. Things still get weird.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the relationship and on how/why it ended.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the ex really. I'm on good terms with my ex and honestly that's as good as it gets. Being friends is not really an option.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm friends with an ex. We were friend for tw year then dated, broke up and are still good friends 5 years later

1|0
    0|0
  • Not without fantasizing about fucking their brains out, at least that’s how it went for me and my exes

1|0
    0|0
  • I am with the last one.
    Others, lets say they're less…compatible with me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I have three with whom I am still friends. I've really only had one bad breakup.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can . since I'm always honest it's better to be even though other people may get bend out of shape

1|0
    0|0
  • 9/10 I can't be. I'm friends on fb with my first ex but we don't even talk

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 31

• I think you can be friendly with an ex partner I don’t think it’s wise to be friends with. If you have children together then a healthy relationship is a plus but it takes a lot of time to get there both sides need to truly have moved on before you even attempt it but it may be a deal breaker for future relationships I don't know just my opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • No. There's just too many memories and emotions so I think it's best to just cut ties completely. Staying friends with an ex just has a potential to get too complicated and I don't think it would be fair to our future partners either.

2|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I agree that's how I feel why would I want to even be friends with my ex it makes no sense

• Never be friends with someone who betrayal you or make your life a living hell when you dated. I try with my ex high school boyfriend I have no idea why I try to be his friend but the way he accuse me of cheating when we weren't dating anymore made me realize I can't do it. He has no respect for me and no boundaries still which is why I refuse to speak to him and he finally left me alone after I told him I save all his messages and his future wive's messages towards me and take to the police.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not close friends. I'm trying a loose friends relationship with my ex. We were best friends. Soo the third time he reached out to me really made me cave in and change my mind. My theory is to keep things platonic and not too intimate. We don't overshare details or talk of the past. We keep things casual and friendly. So far so good.

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe in being friend-ly. Which is different than friends. Being friends could create problems for any new prospective mates for either of you. as well as there being a constant state of confusion for one of you or both.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I can not grasp that. I know i certainly can’t. You can’t go from being romantic to platonic and expect everything to be ok and “the same”

Nah i honestly can’t be friends with any ex partners.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes for sure. Once I have love for someone, it rarely goes away. It just changes.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1d

Love never changes it remains the same as it was in the beginning

• Show All
    • 1d

No it just wasn't true love
      Like does the love you have for parents or family ever change?

• 23h

Yeah. I don’t think I valued it as much when I was a kid.

• Sure, but only if feelings aren't involved anymore.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I have several people I have dated that are now good friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely. I am friends with almost all of my exes. It depends on how mature the person is and how the relationship ended, but I am friends with a lot of my exes and it’s not awkward, we just are friends like we were before!

1|0
    0|0
  • I couldn’t, we have kids together and I’m civil but we are not friends. It didn’t end well tho. I was with him for 19 years, he cheated and was very abusive towards the end. I think if it ended healthy there is a possibility.

1|0
    0|0
  • sometimes. it depends on how the relationship ended

2|1
    0|0
  • Yeah!! I mean we're not nearly as close as we used to but we still have conversations from time to time to argue over who has custody of the animals lol

1|0
    0|0
  • it really depends on both sides. I feel that I could be friends with an ex, but for my ex boyfriend it is too much. so yeah, it really depends.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’m not really friends with my ex but we get along when we see each other but that’s not often

1|0
    0|0
  • Yea it’s just awkward talking to them sometimes when you guys really had a connection.

2|0
    0|0
  • Not me it’s uncomfortable especially now that I have a new bag

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes but if you’re in a relationship you shouldn’t be having any contact with your ex.

2|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how it ended with my ex turns out she was cheating.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope I don't believe that. There will still be some feelings

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t as things may get complicated again and you would feel bad seeing him dating other girls

1|0
    0|0
  • I am friends with my ex👀

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I'm friends with my ex.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not in my opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It’s a bit complicated though.