Have you ever been in a LDR?

Have you ever been in a LDR?
If so, tell me about your experience, please. Did you meet in person or online? How much distance was between you to (phisically in km or miles but more interesting in time and transport)? If you met in person, how many time were you together before the LDR? How much did the LDR lasted? Did your LDR ended because you brokeup or because the period of LDR ended and could be together again? What was the main reason of the breakuo if you brokeuo during a LDR? For those who went successfully through a LDR, what kind of things did you do to help the relationship to keep alive?

For anyone, in which conditions you feel a LDR is possible to work well? You think it works better if they met each other in person or online? What do you believe is too much time to wait to be together? About distance, can a distance be too much? In affirmative case, when you consider that there's too much distance?

1126

Most Helpful Guys

• i was in two
    1. we started dating in high school. went to colleges in different states. we still saw each other at least once a month since we were only about 150 miles apart. we kept in touch almost daily either via phone or internet. when we saw each other we just tried to do extra special things that really focused on us being together
    2. in college i dated a girl for nearly 2 years. we were together abotu 8 months when she went to study abroad in australia for 5 months. this was very difficult because communication was hard since we were on different sides of the globe

i think LDR work best when the relationship starts out normally and becomes temporarily LDR or the distance isn't so great that you can't see each other fairly reguarly

• I was once in a long-distance relationship. We actually met and started dating in college. She was a freshman and I was a senior; and our relationship became long distance when I graduated.
    When we became long-distance, we were an hour away (driving time) from each other, which isn't too bad actually, except I didn't have a car until later on and she was afraid to drive the distance, especially over bridges. As you can imagine, the sudden transition from seeing each other daily to monthly was horrible. Skype helped to an extent. We'd Skype almost every night. And when we did finally meet up in person and we finally got to embrace and kiss each other after so long, it was almost magical.
    That was until one week when she just started to lose interest in me. I'm still not entirely sure why but I think it had to me going into a sort of depression ever since I graduated. (I mean, I became physically distant from my closest friends including her, I struggled to find work and I even had a death in the family, so can you blame me?) Anyway after this visit, I went home and she broke up with me over Skype.
    This was almost two years ago and I've been single since.

• Hopefully I answered everything I needed to because admittedly I got carried away in my story.

• Thank you 😊

• Not a problem at all! Hopefully this helps.

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, I even had two of these in the past, 2 and 2,5 years (not at the same time, obviously). With both we met online, in a browsergame and a mmorpg but met in person before proceeding anywhere further.
    They lived 450-500km away from me (about 4-5 hours via fast train, 8-9 hours if using cheeper slow ones), so due to neither of us having a lot of money we've only been able to meet once every 2-3 months for 1-2 weeks each time.
    While neither of both relationships broke specifically due to the distance a lot of problems we had would have been easier to solve if we were able to see each other spontaneously.

• Yep, my current relationship began as a LDR.

I met him off tinder start of 2017 in my home town. I knew I was leaving in a few months to move states 2000km away for uni so it began as tinder relationships generally do. We hit it off almost immediately and leaving was hard. The good thing was he was only in my hometown for a year (work contract) and he actually was from a city an hour from where I was moving to. We committed to making it work for the rest of the year.

We communicated maybe 3 times a week while I was gone. I flew home every six weeks or so and he flew up once to see me. In the 9 months we were apart we saw each other maybe 6 times.

He moved up close to me at the start of 2018. We’ve been together since and our relationship is as strong as ever.

It was hard, but we were lucky. I don’t think we are the norm when it comes to LDR. It was just fortunate our distance had an end point, or it likely would’ve gone as the majority of long distance relationships do.