#Hugs. Do you like them? Can you give them? Are you comfortable receiving them?

Let’s for expediencies sake in this case , hugs are a euphemism for physical affection (not sex)

Are you a person that values physical affection from your partner?

Are you comfortable being affectionate with your partner?

Are you receptive to their affection?

What do you like or not like about affection within relationships, that is not expressly sexual in nature?
  • I love it.
    Vote A
  • I hate it.
    Vote B
  • I don’t care either way.
    Vote C
  • I want it but I have difficulty expressing and or being receptive to it.
    Vote D
  • Other.
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
In the post, I do mean with your boyfriend / girlfriend husband / wife. Not random people or friends or family.

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Used to make me uneasy when younger, before i had a girlfriend and had been touched really by a girl...

I love them now, they so nice especially from nice people :)

1|1
    0|0
    • What abiit it made you uncomfortable? Was there any thought attached it just a physical feeling of discomfort?

And was kind of discomfort? Like repulsion or nervousness or nausea etc

Thanks I’m interested in how often oeoooe are ok with it but also in how it bothers those it bothers. I know you’re good with it now but I’m curious if you can look back and recall the date.

Thank you 😁

• Show All
    • Thanks for explaining by the way

• I had been touched by my mum and my dad (like hugs etc or smacks.. was the 80s/early 90s) but really beyond that there was 1 girl who hugged me when we left school at 15/16.. and that was it... it was just a new thing, something i hadn't experienced. I had a close female friend who would grab my bum and give me hugs and such to try and get me used to it (it was cool with my girlfriend at the time as she lived miles away and they knew each other)

I can't recall when it got okay, i think just after years and years i suddenly was just okay with it all

• The problem is, I'm ex-military, with PTSD. So while she can lay on me like a blanket at home, PDAs that restrict my mobility or arms are right out once we pass the front door.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Hugs have been an entire part of my youth because in my family, we were very bonded and cared for each other. This included hugs from parents and siblings. Those gestures meant "I love you and I care for you".

I have absolutely no shame or feel discomfort to show my emotions to those people I care for. Those emotions include hugs and kisses.

Those who have never been hugged because they did not mean something for somebody have been missing a lot. They have missed what it is to be loved for what they are, they are missing how good it feels when you are hugged because you are sad/depressed/in tears or happy.

I would go as far as to say that people who have seldom been hugged or are afraid to show emotions, even in public, are missing out a lot.

People are not judged on how much love and care they give and receive, but on how indifferent to emotions they are. Men cry and I salute every single man that has the courage to cry in public for something that moves him. To me, a crying man is a real man.

The same applies to hugs. A person that hugs others in private or public cannot be a bad person.

1|1
    0|1
    • I think this was very well thought out And I appreciate you taking the time to contribute this view point. Thank you 😊

• let me give you a bear hug!

• Too late to update my reply after your update.

I still like to hug my loved one, even in public. He gives me the confidence and strength so I show my pride by hugging and kissing him.

• Def. love them... I love to give them out for free to my students... some thats all they needed at sometimes.

I remember my mom hugging me a lot when I was a child.
    We grow up to be healthy emotionally when we recieved hugs/affections from our care takers when young, as infants through out young adualcent years...

Throughout this time, if a child goes through some kind of trauma, he/she will withdraw/shut down/fear from affection if not corrected.

I remember one of my fifth graders, she was defiant, turned cold, turned away when trying to understand her... slowly, i learned something about her childhood...
    i slowy, gave her hugs... by the end of the school year, she would hug me, but still a bit stiff...

1|0
    0|0
    • That is beautiful... it remind me of a story a guyxwas very belligerent and acting out on the bus. People were becoming afraid he was getting violent behavior... A martial art expert cane to him and very calmly hugged him solidly... everyone could see the original man body Melt into the hug and relax.

I always thought it would be very romantic to diffuse a loves madness with a hug. but I don’t ha either courage to hug.

• Show All
    • I’ll discuss it in private with you when I get a chance to pm you 😊

• 7d

yes from SO...
      I am trying to imagine not getting hugs from SO... i think it will fall apart and wondered if there is something wrong with me...

hugs, touch, kisses... etc.. all these affections are required

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 42

• I crave physical affection 24/7, but I'm currently single, and I feel that physical affection with anyone who is not a romantic partner is awkward.

I've never been in a relationship that has lasted long enough to really establish physical affection, but I imagine that I would be very affectionate under such circumstances, and being affectionate is a very high priority for me in searching for a partner.

1|0
    0|0
  • I love hugs, both giving and receiving, but I'm aware of how awkward I tend to be, so I don't ever give hugs, because I never knew how to initiate them among people, even my closest friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • Touch is my language. Hugs are good. The underlying emotion comminicates the purpose ofnthe hug.

1|0
    0|0
    • And it uaed to be umcomfy. It felt like... umcomfortable getting and beimg close

• Show All
    • for me at that time, feelings are dull... like I'd shut down. this is fight/flight/freeze... I'd freeze up. I did this into my 30's at least. I'll have to think more if I can remember a feeling. I really think under it is the sense of unworthiness... which may be shame, maybe some fear of closeness. It's all our "F@#$!@#" up environment and not supposed to be like that combined with our personality disposition. If we don't feel worth inside (e. g. didn't get love or got punishment when trying to get close), then we have a wound that is controlling us and limiting our access to it. Damn this stuff makes sense once you've been through it. My answer is find J. Christ... start there, for me that was a ticket, but there are likely other paths as well. as I noted, we are all trying to grow in love, that is the higher power in my book. Awsome question, you are a way way ahead of me at your age... I wish Id had such support back then.

• Thank you for elaborating... I can relate.

It’s true , I do feel lucky I can talk about things on her if never be able to irl. I don’t know how I’d Navaho to sort through things if it wasn’t for having open access to other peoples thoughts and experiences.

• Hugs are the best next thing since sliced bread. I don't know if it's weird but I'll usually hug girls I just met in most situations. Kinda of a way to break the ice I guess. I also give guy friends bro hugs

1|0
    0|0
  • I am very affectionate with my girlfriend and definitely close with my bros and close friends. But I am somewhat uncomfortable giving hugs to other girls, especially if I haven't known them for years. But in a time of need or despair, I am always willing to help comfort another.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I'm comfortable with hugs. However, getting one unannounced or from behind (unless you're my wife and/or I'm not in any bad mood for one) will take me by surprise. And I don't particularly care for surprises much.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I love getting and giving hugs to my girlfriend/wife. It would be VERY, VERY rare that I wouldn't want a hug from her.

• its the way how you give a hug. to a girlfriend (if i had one) she would be fully embraced by me with a gentle and firm hug.

to show a friendly hug i just put one arm over their shoulder and thats it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Are we talking about #Hugs from the SO, or family n friends, or coworkers, or random people?

1|0
    0|0
    • PARTNER 😊

• Oh. Then it's simple. I love hugs. And I love to give hugs. Who would be better than to give than mi esposa.

• I used to love hugs and would give them and receive them whenever possible but now when I'm the most damaged I've ever been, I don't like to be touched and even when my niece's hug me, I can't hug them back I just end up putting them on their heads and I know there's something wrong with me but not sure what it is or how to find out what and fix it. I can't even fix myself period.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm an affectionate, touchy-feely type of guy, so I'm all good with hugs.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm a fan of hugs, both giving and receiving. It is an important form of communication and sharing affection.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure how girls feel but most guys would only want hugs from specific people, such as those they're attracted to or those important to us like family. Anyone else we would avoid hugging if possible, like our friends or people we aren't attracted to.

Do girls feel the same?

0|0
    0|0
    • It’s About partners not random people 😊

And I don’t think we feel one way bc we are girl or boy. That’s why I asking on here how different people feel😁

I don’t like being touched by anyone except a romantic partner, but even then it’s weird.

• I'm kind of a hugger. If I meet a woman I have talked to for a while, or a good friend I haven't seen in a long time (woman) I would hug them. Most guys don't like it when another guy hugs them. haha.

1|0
    0|0
    • I hug all of my family! if I had a girlfriend I would always hug her, and of course kiss her.

• Yes! To anyone and everyone that wants one! I would give you a hug in a heartbeat :)

2|0
    0|0
  • A hug can say more than all the words in the world. They can show love, compassion, friendship. I’d hug everyone if I could

1|0
    0|0
  • I generally dislike hugs
    When I have been in a relationship I enjoy hugging my SO but outside of that I detest it
    I find it too personal to close for anything short of that

1|0
    0|0
  • Hugs are very healing emotionally. Women find them an honest and meaningful expression of affection. A guy should always be conscious of when a hug is needed by his S/O and do it.

0|0
    0|0
    • But how do YOU feel about them?

• Show All
    • Haha not someone who has a problem with verbosity 🤓

• I appreciate any info and the more the better 😊

• Yes i like giving hugs and receiving hugs i like the idea sounds good to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I once was very angry with a very old girlfriend, so I didn't talk to her the whole day at school. During break, she came running to me, hugged me so tight, it was as if I couldn't hold on to the anger anymore and I felt such a relief and flow of love. We hugged for a minute, and honestly I forgave her for everything.

While hugging, I felt like our minds were connected and that I could read in her mind that she loves me a lot and that's all that matters. I think hugs are the best way to show affection, because we can hug anyone, be it friend, family or a person we are dating, and there's no words required.

It's instant therapy!

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't liberals consider hugs to be sexual assult (#metoo) unless verbal permission is asked and then granted before the act of a hug has occurred?

0|0
    0|0
  • I would like to receive them from my girlfriend, we mostly hold hands though.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I could, I'd spend my life hugging. As long as it's a girl I like.

1|0
    0|0
  • Unless it's a hug to or from my kids then I hate being touched as a general rule

0|0
    0|0
  • I love hugs. But tend not to give them as many people nowadays see them as more than what they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone love a big hug

1|0
    0|0
  • my way of saying "i'll never let you go"

2|0
    0|0
  • I love it.

2|0
    0|0
  • I wish I could get more of it.

1|0
    0|0
  • love them,

1|0
    0|0
  • HUGZ!

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 23

• I love it. I need physical touch as a sign of affection from my partner. But I have to build trust before that can occur.

1|1
    0|0
    • I understand.. is there a general time period wherein after which you count on being comfortable , or does it vary greatly partner to partner?

• Show All
    • That’s good you are contientious about it 😊

• I have to be, especially with my new boyfriend. I want a successful relationship with him and that involves wanting to give and receive physical touch.

• Hugs, yes I'm comfortable giving them, receiving them and look forward to them. From the people I care about especially, what I really don't care for is during the hug when they pat me on the back.

1|1
    0|1
  • I usually don’t like hugs unless they are from people that are close to me. I hate when people think they can just hug me out of nowhere. I want people to respect my personal space at all times but I do love hugging people that are close to me.

1|2
    0|0
  • I’m not a hugger no one in my family was... so it’s awkward to me honestly, I don’t give them

1|2
    0|0
  • I don't know if this makes sense but I love touching other people but I dont like them touching me. Its ok if we are close but other wise I don't like them touching me.

1|1
    0|0
  • I loveee hugging😂 I hug my family and friends like ALL the time! It's only a little awkward if someone I don't know well hugs me, but even then I appreciate it😅

1|0
    0|1
  • Hugs are one of the best things in the world. Nothing can calm a person down better than and barely anything can show as much affection and bring people that close together (literally as well).

1|1
    0|0
  • Hugs for "expedience," which means "being convenient and practical despite possibly being improper or immoral"?

Yes, I do like hugs, but not for my own convenience. I only enjoy it if the person giving me hugs and receiving hugs, do want them.

0|0
    0|0
    • I 100% love hugging and/or cuddling with my boyfriend. I also like the tight hugs he gives me.

• No haha I meant in this case hugs will mean general affection.

Rather than my listing all the various types of physical affection , I call it hugs. 😊

• I love hugging my boyfriend, but I don't hug another man. If it's a male friend who initiated as a greeting or for departing, my natural reaction is to "hug" with one arm (my arm makes more contact than my body).

I hug female friends, but since you said you're asking about hugging significant others, yes I do love hugging very much 😌

• I love them. Yes I can to the one I love. Yes im. Only close people can hug me.

1|2
    0|0
  • The best thing that can happen to you, being comforted after a difficult day. Or just to have a lovely big big hug from your hubby or wife or SO is priceless.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love hugs and yeah I want and need normal physical contact in a relationship, couldn't be with someone who is afraid to touch me lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Like if I'm comfortable with someone no problem, starting out it can be awkward

0|1
    0|0
  • I love hugging and kissing when greets my friends kiss them on both cheeks.

1|0
    0|1
  • I love hugs <3

They make me feel so safe and warm.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I hate being touched, urks me !

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm a simultaneous hugger & kisser.

0|2
    0|1