Should a married couple combine their incomes?

Please explain your reason why.
Updates:
One bank account for everything.

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes , cuz love doesn't come from money , being married means your a team no matter what and you trust each other when it comes to buying small things for yourself then that shouldn't be an issue but if you are buying something expensive then you should talk it over with your partner , it doesn't matter who makes more money just as long as your bills r paid should only be the only thing that matters , communication is the key. Ad for me I know I wouldn't go out and buy something expensive without talking to her first

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you better have your own accounts + a shared account that you both put a set amount of money on each month to cover shared bills such as rent.

1|0
    0|0
    • Keeps the detaild tidy and you get a little bit of privacy. You can have both shared and personal goals, I think that would be quite healthy.

Most Helpful Girls

• absolutely never. ever. ever. the only joint account a married couple should have is general funds (electricity, mortgage, water, home repairs, etc.)
    a man and woman should always have their own money. period.

1|1
    0|0
  • Every couple is different. Here is what my boyfriend and I decided:
    We keep separate accounts in case of divorce or arguments, and we have one combined account we each input in for our shared expenses, such as bills, food, saving for a car, etc. Plus, mtuple accounts means that if one of you were to be hacked not all of the money would be taken

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• Oh right... I replied to this and then my phone wouldn't load it... haha! I said it dosent really matter as much to shake an account as it dose to share your money together... like if your choosing to be tied for life... shouldn’t you choose to share everything?

1|0
    0|0
  • Should they? That's up to them. I am of the mind set that they should share expenses but if they share a bank account, you can't even hide surprise gifts for each other's birthdays and such.

1|1
    0|0
    • Good point. Although if they were to have a joint account that doesn't mean they put every dollar in, they'd each have a debit card.

• If folks are concerned about divorce.. you simply should do the following

1) keep all premarital money in separate account and don't deposit to it or spend it.

2) keep all premarital retirement separate, even separate from your own future retirement. And keep records. Fidelity only keeps for 10yrs.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't care much about money.. I am bachelor.. I am not going to marry a girl for her money so even after marriage if she don't want to spend her money that is fine for me.. Her account would work as saving account for us..

1|0
    0|0
  • Entirely depends on the couple. Personally I wouldn't combine my income with my future wife. I would simply have a third joined account for bills only. That way you both would have free money to spend how you please and the bills are sorted.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Instead, have four (or more). One for common debts, one for common savings, and one each for discretionary funds. The bookkeeping is just too hard, otherwise.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's stupid..
    Don't do it..
    Keep everything separate.. However a back door.. For other person to access things in case you die

1|0
    0|0
  • I think a joint account for shared expenses - food, rent/mortgage, etc is good. But keep everything else separate

1|0
    0|0
  • No i think married couples should have separate banking accounts
    but i believe couples should share expenses such as Rent, Bills etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well you have to, for tax purposes, but I think that it's a good idea just on the general principal of trust.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think that is a good idea.
    No secrets and you can work on a budget so bills get paid.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the dynamic of the couple.. that’s something they should decide together

1|0
    0|0
  • No they should have some money for themselves.

Responsible adults will fairly pay even amounts

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes because when you marry you want to share your life and everything in it with that person

1|0
    0|0
  • Dam I see all these and make me wonder if I should give my wife money since she don't work

1|0
    0|0
  • I would have said yes a few years ago, but nowadays, keeping it separated is smarter.

1|0
    0|0
  • You mean like, one bank account or?

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for mentioning that, it was then I updated the question.

• Yes they should

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

1|0
    0|0
  • Dey should have separate accounts

1|0
    0|0
  • Bad idea, terrible. Muy malo.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes they are together

1|0
    0|0
  • of course

1|0
    0|0
  • LOL I can't say if they "should" or "shouldn't"... But I do know a married couple where they have separate accounts, and the husband pays for all household expenses like the rent and everything. In the meanwhile, his wife makes decent money and shovels it all into her bank account while the husband's account is always paycheck to paycheck. Oh well...

1|0
    0|0
  • Damn that's a phat ass

0|0
    1|0
  • Its your pic?

0|0
    0|1
  • only if a prenup was signed

1|0
    0|0
  • No I think it's best to keep it separate.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• They should do what works best for them as a couple. But there should be no secrets, and they should do some financial planning to save for the future for things like buying houses and cars, having children, retirement, college savings for children, opening a business, traveling and whatever things they dream of. Your local laws will dictate if all income is considered community property or whatever. I don't know what country or state you live in. Laws vary in this.

1|2
    0|0
  • If I was married there’s no way in hell I would share a bank account with him. I will go half on the rent and bills but I’m not chancing sharing a bank account.

1|1
    0|0
  • I’m married and we don’t. I pay the rent, he pays the bills. We chose not to for the simple reason that it’s easier to keep track of when only one person has a card for the account.

1|1
    0|0
  • My husband and I have one joint account for all the household expenses, mortgage, utilities and food etc.
    We also have our own individual accounts for all personal things.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think separate accounts are better so everyone can pay for his own bills and hobby stuff. My partner shouldn't have to pay for my own expenses.

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the circumstances. If they are married with kids and she stays home and takes care of the kids and house while he works all day or he is a stay at home dad then ye they should combine incomes if its just the couple and they both work then i think a bills account and keeping money separate is fine. Different things work for different people. When I was married I managed all the money and the husband would ask me if we could afford the additional things he wanted. That worked for us (though i would prefer someone else to look after the money cos it's a pain) my mother used to keep all the money and give my father spending money and a credit card. Whereas I have aunts and uncles and they lived off her wage while his money was all put in to savings under his name. I lived with a guy in my house where I payed for everything and he gave me money every week like a lodger. It's what's right for you!

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. You should

1|1
    0|0
  • I have no problem with this.

1|1
    0|0
  • no because women waste money

1|2
    1|0

Recommended myTakes