Has your taste in men/women changed as you got older?

Have you noticed at certain stages in your life that you liked a certain type. As you got older you even change from guys to girls or vise versa. What made you change your mind? Did you every change it back? What's your type now?

0|2

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes but in a weird way because I thought I was asexual until I met my ex and discovered what I truly am attracted to. I have met a few men that I have found attractive over the last 2 years and I definitely have a type now. I guess I was always attracted to my type looking back, but I didn't know it. So yes what I find attractive has changed, but more just narrowing it down and discovering what I find romantically attractive vs aesthetically pleasing

As a kid, my favorite bands were weird goths who wore makeup and masks (like Slipknot, The Murderdolls, Wednesday 13, and Davey Suicide) because I was extremely drawn to their aesthetic. I spent hours watching videos and stalking (almost in a creepy way) them online. I even got to see them live and thought they were even more beautiful in person... but that's just it... I thought their aesthetic of dyed black hair and black lipstick and shitty eyeshadow was beautiful (in my own weird way)... but as an adult, I know I could never date someone like the rock stars I idolized as a child (even though they're awesome guys in real life too and gave me great feedback for my art)

So fast forward to now after I suddenly discovered romance and have had desperately terrible luck with it, I now know my type. Some things have changed and others haven't. One thing that might be confusing, so I'll clarify is that I do find women beautiful in an aesthetic way and i do find femine men to be beautiful, but I am 100% straight and only romantically attracted to masculine men (as in men who look male)

What has stayed the same:

I have always liked skinny, sometimes underweight guys. It is difficult for me to find average guys attractive unless they work out and keep in shape

I like guys who know who they are and have a distinct personality. Confidence has always been especially attractive to me

Hopeless romantics are my ideal partners because I fall very deeply for things and people I love, and need a man who is as hopelessly romantic as me as I am about him (but then it will be hopefully romantic)

Things that have changed:

Facial characteristics. As stated before, I thought I was romantically attracted to physical attributes that I found aesthetically appealing, but I really wasn't. So I used to think I was attracted to androgynous men with traditional feminine facial features such as thick lips, big eyes, and petite noses. I took a 180 from that and am now romantically attracted to men with thin lips, deep-sea eyes, and large, aquiline noses (yes I'm attracted to guys with big noses and I loved my ex's oversized shnauz). Now I do still think men with feminine facial features are beautiful and prefer them for artistic purposes, I am only romantically attracted to men with masculine facial features... and hands

Attitude. I used to think I wanted to be with a very outspoken, loud, pissed-off-at-the-world guy with tattoos and green hair (I actually met a guy with green hair I thought was kind of cute lol) but that was really just my teen angst getting the best of me. I'm glad I didn't date as a teen because I would've dated some shit guys. Now I prefer stoic men who have their shit together and can speak without saying a word or only a few

Family-oriented. I used to be with a guy who didn't care about his family, but that's just because my family was so awful that I didn't want either family getting in the way. Now I view a man with a stable family dynamic as attractive and an ideal father. A man who respects his mother and sisters will respect his wife. I just have to hope he'll understand my choice to cut my parents out of my life (because he wouldn't want to deal with that mother-in-law from hell)

I guess the overall stability of a man's personality, life, job, family, and financial situation have become more attractive to me over the years. But I think that just comes with maturity as I myself have become more stable over the last couple of years. I don't want to be Sid and Nancy anymore

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

Great explanation. I appreciate all the details.

• Show All
    • 7d

@ForteExe

Yeah but my life has been interesting. I knew I wasn't ready to date in high school because I had too much crap to deal with at home with my parents. I didn't find guys romantically attractive because I didn't have the mental capacity to with all the rage and anger. I'm a much more relaxed person now, and actually give a shit about other people (if they deserve it). So I know the kind of guys I'm interested in and need to be in a relationship with now probably wouldn't have been interested in me as a teenager. I wasn't mentally healthy for a long time, and it took a lot to get where I am now

I've only had one boyfriend and I didn't meet him until I was 21. I definitely hit puberty at the normal age, but I never had crush until 21

But I'm in a good place now and I know what I need to be happy in life and a relationship. I need someone I can trust (unlike my ex) and respect and be compatible with romantically

• 7d

I hope you find your blue eyed hunk.

• When I was first into dating, (three years ago) I was into skinny guys.
    Now Im still young and I honestly know I have a long life ahead of me but for some reason guys with chub are attractive to me now. “Dad bod”
    But it’s just to show it can change anytime for anyone. It might even change in a few months or few years for me. Depends on a lot. (I’ve always liked gamer guys tho. And guys that are attention seeking) I don't know lmao

1|1
    0|0
    • 7d

Same! 😂😂 I dont do skinny anymore

• 7d

Too bony to cuddle with for me, but if I do fall for a skinny guy I fall for one. Just depends! 😂😊

• 7d

I'm glad you found out that bones dont keep you warm.

Most Helpful Guys

• Good question. Some things have changed and some have not:

Feminine 'girly girls' are nice, but I've always been primarily attracted to cute, well toned tomboys that like outdoor recreation. That hasn't changed.

What has changed is my increased attraction to curvy women. In the 70-80's society was intolerant of curvy/thick (obese) women. I turned down some really cute thick girls when I was young and I now regret it.
    Curvy girls have an easier time now, which is good.

Also, I now love hanging with girls my age. Many are in very very good shape and are easy to talk with. We have a lot in common generationally. Most have established family relationships and finances, so we're not struggling with those issues. They just want fun and companionship. And I'm consistently amazed with how wet and passionate a 64 woman can get.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Sounds like you have a nice life. with wisdom to share that's something that more people need to do. share there wisdom with those younger then them.

• 6d

Thanks for the MHO. My only advice to young guys is to take care of your body, and take care of your money. Sixty years old may seem like eons away to you guys, but it's just around the corner. I'm having a damn good time in my sixties. Just hope I live long enough to enjoy some more hahaha!

• In my college years I liked party girls, girls that were always down to go out, drink, etc. I also was attracted to girls that I can only term as “bitches” (no offense intended), girls that liked drama and chaos. In hindsight, it seemed like whenever things were going smooth, they got bored and wanted to fight about something. It was emotionally exhausting. After about 5 years of that, and a few failed relationships, I realized that I wanted a “good girl.” What I mean by that is not that she’s boring or prude, but a girl who’s idea of a date isn’t “let’s go to the bar or club.” I absolutely cannot stand girls like that now. I didn’t find one immediately, but I was able to quickly sort out the “party bitches.” I love that my current girlfriend is fine with going out to eat or ordering take out and just hanging out. It’s perfect. Maybe the party girls matured too, but I look back on that time and I’m like “why did I ever date those girls in the first place?”

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

I'm glad you found your special person. Your life with her sounds like a dream.

• Show All
    • 6d

You're welcome

• 6d

Yeah I hear you about the drama queens and party girls. After all that crazy shit I settled into dating STEM girls (mathematicians, engineers, chemists, etc). Most had a low body count, and when they said something, it was usually worth listening to. And Jesus, the pent up libido!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 23

• I never changed from guys to girls. But, who I am attracted to has definitely changed. I like older men.. and I definitely seem to go for latino men mostly.

0|1
    0|0
  • yea of course. I think having the first type and dating more and more people i realised what i want and what I need is two different thing. Well The biggest change I feel would be on how a certain has to be. I've always like those loud and sociable kind and as I age, i realise i do grow better with the quiet ones.

0|0
    0|0
  • I use to have a thing for guys with blonde hair but now I'm mostly into cute and elegant east Asian guys. But I don't mind anyway, as long as the person is good.

0|0
    0|0
  • My taste has changed a little bit since my teen years. I'm not that into "bad boys" anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I used to be drawn to blonde hair blue eyes guys

0|1
    0|0
  • Definitely. What I was attracted to in my teens to now is vastly different. A lot of it comes with getting out there and seeing different kinds of people than you are used to. I grew up in a small town of all the same type of guys. Moved to a big city when I was 19 and everything changed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Loved older guys (3-7 years older) since I was a pre-teen and still love em now. I don't like "pretty boys" anymore though. Not my type. I like men with more unique features.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Unique things are what make people truly fall in love.

• 7d

Yeah. I fell in love with this one guy because of his awkward glances and his funny laugh. But yeah my admirations always start with me noticing something weird or different about the man.

• My taste has changed. I like older men now 😳 I can’t see myself dating an immature 21 year old for example

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

That's understandable but I have never really liked immature people. I never got along with college students even when I was in college.

• During my teens, I loved guys with a tone look or had muscles. My dad was a body builder and did contest so I sorta grew up as a kid seeing men that were muscular. I also loved only guys with blonde hair and blue eyes.
    Now that I'm older it has all changed. I love guys with red hair and guys that is a little chubby but still skinny. Almost like a " dad bod "
    I honestly don't know why I had this certain change of what I like in a guy. But when it came to personality that never changed.
    I'm not going to go back and I'm happy that I found someone that I love that has red hair and a little chubby.

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

Oh and I always dated guys that were 2 or 3 years younger than me. When I was 25 my ex just turned 20. Now I'm into older guys. My boyfriend is only 2 years older than me.

• Def. I consider myself to be a cougar 🐆

0|4
    0|0
  • Yeah, I liked complete idiots from the age of 18-22.

Then I opened my eyes to nice, worthwhile guys.

0|0
    0|0
  • No... not really.

I've always had a thing for blondes with blue eyes lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I've had the same taste pretty much all my life, but now I value intellect 9000% more. Pretty does not last.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Most people go for looks when they're young. It's only as we get older that we truly appreciate intelligence.

• 7d

Define intellect?

• My taste in men has definetely change since my teenage years... as a teen, I was a lot into skinny guys (yes, also underweight), with a slightly (for the lack of a better word) feminine looking face-shape, pretty much your typical boyband member appearence. Back then, height also didn't mattered that much to me, I have fallen for guys shorter than me multiple times.

By now I am waaay more into masculine looking men, with broad shoulders, not necessarily muscular but definetely "wider", visible body hair and also taller than I am myself.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

When I was in school that was a very popular look for boys. Your tastes have a matured as you have.

• 7d

Yea it also definetely does make sense for a teenager to be into younger and less mature looking guys ^^

• Not really. I still like my men tall, dark, and handsome. Haha.

0|0
    0|0
  • No not really. Just dont like a certain change in people towards you

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it did actually. Though I have almost the same citeria in women and men 😁

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely not as shallow

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

That's good. You're allowed to like a guy that looks a certain way. just make sure he has a brain to go with the looks.

• If anything maybe older guys

0|2
    0|1
  • Yes, I prefer older guys now.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh yes. Now I'm hooked on a sexy 31 year old.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes .

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I guess some people just know what they like when young. Have you ever dated some that was not your type?

What Guys Said 29

• when i was younger if someone asked me which is more appealing to me a nice butt or a nice set of boobs i would have easily said without a second thought boobs. in my mid-to-late 20s that changed where i am sort of 50/50 or 40/60 (still leaning slightly towards boobs)

0|1
    0|0
  • I think to me, one of the "big things" is that as I get older, the women I'm interested in are older. When I was 17, I looked forward to the cheerleader charity car washes. Now - definitely not. The women I like are between 27 - 35 (ish).

I think relatively, the attraction is about the same (for a comparable age). So I still look for fun, still look for someone with a good head on their shoulders, who isn't getting wasted and partying every other night... I recall looking for that when I was in high school. Someone who was kind and genuine with people, who was good with people, who was considerate, all of that was important back then, as it is now.

I think the level of maturity has changed. If she didn't have a job when I was in high school, or didn't have a good job, that wasn't an issue, because most of us had horrible jobs, if we worked at all. Right now, if she doesn't have a job, (and nothing was preventing her from getting SOMETHING), then we probably would not be dating for long.

I'd like to think I have a better idea about specifics. Like an artist or other creative... in high school, it wasn't quite as important to "teen me" as "Grown-up" me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some of us are blessed
    beyond belief... I've been
    married to the woman that
    has been my childhood best
    friend since we were nine year
    olds, telling each other that
    the other had cooties and
    the heevie jeevies. 😂

Seven years married as of this
    past June 9th.

1|0
    0|0
    • 7d

That's special hold on to her. Dont let her forget how much you love her. My parents are getting divorced after 43 years together. They were married just after high school.

• Show All
    • 7d

I hope you and your wife live like my grandparents happily every after.

• 7d

Thank you 👍😊

• Yeah a lot. When i was younger i don't think i was different from any adolescent really big breasted women, blonde hair, blue eyes.
    Now i really don't care i have no type as long as something sparks attraction and she's got a good heart, has morals, has values. i kind work from their.

0|0
    0|0
  • My problem is I loved all types. And when around a girl I was attracted to I was a bumbling fool. Only time I could be myself was when I was around those I had zero interest in.
    haven't changed much. Wide variety gets me horny. But found a calm around them... lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I always liked very feminine women and i still do. The thing that changed was when i was younger i prefered girls around my age. Now that im older they must be younger than me. Like when i was 20 id have dated a 22 year old but now im 32 id never date someone anywhere near my age. They would have to be significantly younger.

0|0
    2|0
    • 7d

What's wrong with women your own age...

• Show All
    • 6d

Just cause your 30 doesn't mean a same age women has slept around with tons of guys, and women that age are still perfectly capable of giving birth to kids so...

• 6d

@Gotcha_Writer10 kids yes but not 10 kids so...

And statistically the longer you are alive the more you slept around. Id rather date a 24 year old who had one boyfriend than an 18 year old who had 10 hook ups. But statiatically more 18 year olds have had less sex partners than 24 year olds. Fact. I dont have time to give every person a chance. So i spend my time one the girls who are most likely to match what im looking for in a wife.

• I prefer older woman. Younger ones are still nice to look at, but I find older ones just as nice 😀

0|1
    0|0
  • at this age with this much experience, I realize that for mental reasons there's no woman over 25 for me. Also, for anything other than hook ups, she needs to be a little too thin because they only get bigger, never smaller

0|0
    0|0
  • The type of woman hasn't changed, but the age range has :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I only found some girls really attractive as a youth. Now close to all girls are attractive, and the ones I find outstanding might not have general appeal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep, when I was young, I was way more naive and somewhat superficial. Few relationships after that beat me out of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, not really. Looks are less important but even then it is not by much. I am just a bit more open-minded.

0|1
    0|0
  • My taste in women is pretty much the same in terms of personality & character.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not significantly. I've always been attracted to tall, dominant women whom are a few years older than me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been thinkin about this since i turned 20. But noticed my taste never really changed since my first crushes in school.
    They all had a certain leading attitude or just natural attitude/flair about them, also had these girl next door vibes with certain facial fts really popping out either that be cheekbones, eyes, lips etc...

And I've found myself very attracted to models too, so i see a pattern here with the natural flair and special fts.

And personality too, i like that a lot and value it a lot, i come from a household where personality is basically everything.
    Where we aim to be more than a screeching old barnyard door clapping in the wind, like i honestly hate boring/conservative girls, being closeminded etc..

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really. I do prefer women my age or older. Younger women are great , but it seems like they aren't settled down.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, when I was in puberty I didn't care too much about details. If she was into me and decently attractive that was the only prerequisite. I chased some pretty slimy girls in highschool because my hormone drowned brain only thought "she's fuckable so fuck her". Now that the horny ape brain has settled down a bit I focus more on whether or not she'll be wife material. My idea of "wife material" hasn't really changed since I was young. I always knew on some level what I wanted (although I couldn't always articulate it) but my ability to focus on what mattered wasn't always so well defined. So to answer your question I'd say no, my taste hasn't changed; my ability to filter out the ones who don't meet my taste has.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Hormones can be a pain when they first kick in. I'm glad you have got the under control. I hope you find a perfect wife someday.

• 7d

Stahp with your Instagram spam

• Yes. I really dig sexy mid aged MILFs.

1|0
    0|1
  • unique Q! nope, same.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I do not like 12 year olds anymore.

0|0
    0|0
  • i like the same type of women i always did

0|0
    0|0
  • Most definitely. Still heterosexual, however.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes somewhat.
    Time sure changes things.😃

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Im dont have instagram.
      And that link says no post yet, 10 following, 1 follower,
      if i am correct?

• Expanded, more choices now

0|0
    0|0
  • No way still Love Woman no men for me

0|0
    0|0
  • I found it changed a nice bit. When I was younger I found myself attracted to all sorts of women. Really odds were if you were female I more likely found you attractive than not. Found myself into a wide range of women from looks, styles, age, etc. Now that I'm older tho that doesn't hold true at all. I don't find many women as attractive. Pretty much never find ones my age or older attractive. Mostly younger with certain looks and styles.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yep. While I was in middle school I was attracted to middle school-aged people. Then when I was in high school I found myself more attracted to high school-aged people. Now I am exclusively attracted to people from their early 20s to mid-30s.

0|0
    0|0
  • Haven’t seen much change in what I see as attractive. However, I’ve noticed that all of my crushes throughout the years have had dark brown/ black hair, not sure if that’s something that I was subconsciously attracted to.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes