My partner isn’t my soulmate?

Ok so to catch you guys up, I’ve always had very strong feelings towards this one person - who we are going to call R - ever since we met in elementary school. We’re still friends to this very day and I still feel the same.

However, we never dated even though we have admitted our feelings about one another to each other before. We didn’t date because even though R said they love me, they think highly of me and badly of their self, so they say I deserve better than them.

Knowing that, I tried to get over them for years. Never worked. Now I’m currently in a relationship, but I don’t have the same sort of feelings for this person, who we will call S, as I do for R. There isn’t that click, that deep connection between S and I. I have that with R.

R messaged me a handful of moments ago and confessed their feelings again, but acknowledged that I am currently in a relationship and will respect that, but had to get those feelings off their chest.

I don’t want to be selfish and hurt S, they are a very good person, but I don’t want to be hurting S in the long run because they deserve someone better than me. I try to make my relationship with S an amazing one, I show them affection and treat them with respect and care, but I can’t shake my feelings for R still. No matter what I do, I end up thinking about R. I truly believe R is my soulmate, but I don’t know what to do. I started overthinking things and ended up having a panic attack. I have no one to talk to about my feelings because I’m too afraid to face them, so I came here for advice.

It’s stupid, I know, but I’m young and I really don’t want to hurt anyone. Both R and S are fantastic people and deserve to be happy - but I want to be happy, too. Please help me out, I’m so distraught by this.

21