Is my relationship toxic?

I’m struggling with my relationship. I find myself wondering if I’ve made a huge mistake. I’ve been married for just over a year, and in a relationship with my husband just over 4 years.

My husband thinks (and has always thought) that I am too sensitive. I think he’s overly insensitive. He often verbally attacks me personally (such as throwing past things in my face, or just calling me stupid, fat, etc. He has called me a fat fuck and a stupid, fat, old lady this weekend. (He’s been especially rude this weekend... but it’s been going on for all of our relationship. Prior to our getting married, I demanded we go to couples counseling and things got better. But now... I just feel like he just feels good when he hurts my feelings.)

He thinks because he doesn’t physically abuse me, and that he contributes financially and that when he’s not upset with me he doesn’t say things like that, that it somehow absolves him from the things he says when he’s upset.

But he also makes fun of me when he’s not mad. Like calling me a pig, or a farm animal, or old and fat. (Yes, I am overweight. I’ve been overweight, and he said that he liked big women.)

When he’s nice, he’s really sweet and caring and does things for me.

But when he’s not... He’s really quite an asshole. Something he says a lot is sticks and stones. That words are just words, that his actions should be the indicator or how he feels about me. But it’s just making me feel like I’m worthless. I also feel really stupid. Like, why do I think it’ll change?

Am I too sensitive? Or is he really being a jerk?

34