Is it stupid to take a break from someone so they seek psychological help with their depression and anger control and revisit the relationship?

My now ex boyfriend and I were together for 7 months. He told me right away about his psychological issues with depression, thoughts of suicidal, low self esteem, insane trust issues. I just didn’t expect it to be so bad. He would have random outbursts of which he thought I was cheating on him with no concrete evidence and saying I lie to him constantly when I don’t. He’d always apologize.

A couple nights ago it went too far and now we are no longer together. He got upset that I went out with my best friend to a couple bars and he thought I was seeing someone else and lying about my location. He freaked out. He became blackout drunk and said extremely nasty things to me, like slut lying ass piece of shit, dishonest bitch, f*ck you, told me to get out of his life, I’m dishonest, it continued for an hour. Then he blocked me on all accounts.

The next morning he changed his Facebook to single. He told me how sorry and in shock he was for what he said to me and he cannot believe how far gone he went. He said seeing how he reacted that night showed he needs help and he said he needs to be alone during this time he seeks help. He’s been trying to better himself throughout the relationship but this was the most extreme it ever has been.

He told me he can’t see how we can repair the relationship and said it was the end for us because he didn’t want to be with me. He says things a lot out of insecurity. Then later we saw each other to exchange items, talked for about an hour when he calmed down. He apologized again and started crying. He said he just needs to be alone right now. We both agreed that we’d like to be in a mature friendly place in time and not be bitter towards the other. I asked him what he meant earlier and why when he said he no longer wished to be with me. He said he couldn’t talk about that now because he is still trying to sort out what happened.

Is this over? Is it ridiculous to believe he can find help and we can revisit this?

11