Do you think someone can cheat and truly regret it?

Once they see how much they hurt their partner, and how badly their partner feels after being cheated on (i. e., questions their worth, beauty and value)?

6052

Most Helpful Girls

• I do believe someone can cheat and then be filled with regret.
    I believe a lot of people cheat and regret it, the question though is, do they regret the act itself (meaning they’re sorry they did something so morally low that it hurt their own view of themselves), regret the pain they caused their partner or regret being caught and the consequences that follow.
    More often than not I believe it’s the third one, the other two are valid but not nearly as often the case, in my opinion.
    I believe there could be a one time indiscretion and they could fall into one or both of the first two reasons. Especially, if the one being cheated on found out by the cheater coming to them and saying “I really messed up...” and admitted what they had done, I could definitely see it being one of the first two reasons.
    If someone cheats multiple times though, make no mistake, they aren’t going to feel sorry for hurting you, they’re going to feel sorry that you found out. The regret will have nothing to do with you beyond “why didn’t I cover my tracks better so he/she didn’t find out”, and if the couple stays together the cheater is under a microscope so the cheater will regret that loss of freedom they once had that allowed them to mess around. Also, I feel like cheaters learn from their past mistakes and not in a good way, like “ok so, he/she caught me with texts so I need to go a different way to communicate with other men/women.” Or “he/she caught me because so and so saw me here, need to go at least 50 miles from home”
    If someone cheats on you, especially multiple times, you are not a priority to them, you do not mean enough to warrant their loyalty, you simply don’t matter enough because they don’t care if they lose you.
    The way I see it, even if it’s one time, they made several different decisions that lead them to cheat and at any point they could have thought of you and said “no this is wrong” and walked away from whatever situation, but they didn’t.

• If he confesses without being caught you will know FOR SURE that he regrets it. If he says he’s sorry and cries a river and what not... maybe. A woman knows that if she cheats she needs to take that with her to the tomb. Men are less likely to forgive an infidelity. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• He didn’t confess it to me. I found out, and he denied, THEN he admitted to it. He cried over me for 3+ hours, and he still is crying each day. I told him I wanted to be away from him for a while. He told me he’d wait and call everyday. He has called every day since. It’s been 4 days now. I’m not sure if he’s truly sorry he hurt me, or he’s sorry he got caught and can lose me.

Most Helpful Guys

• Most of the time it's because they got caught. If someone cheats... its on purpose with intent. Regret doesn't come into the equation. They already don't care!

• spoken like a boss!
      xo

• @Gothd011 hey, thanks!

• I'm glad you said most of the time! I learnt a lot from that relationship, it told me what I want from a partner and what I don't want. But it took being with them, to see my previous relationship was lacking in so many ways..

• I think many people cheat and then seriously regret having been discovered.