Do you think someone can cheat and truly regret it?

Once they see how much they hurt their partner, and how badly their partner feels after being cheated on (i. e., questions their worth, beauty and value)?

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I do believe someone can cheat and then be filled with regret.
    I believe a lot of people cheat and regret it, the question though is, do they regret the act itself (meaning they’re sorry they did something so morally low that it hurt their own view of themselves), regret the pain they caused their partner or regret being caught and the consequences that follow.
    More often than not I believe it’s the third one, the other two are valid but not nearly as often the case, in my opinion.
    I believe there could be a one time indiscretion and they could fall into one or both of the first two reasons. Especially, if the one being cheated on found out by the cheater coming to them and saying “I really messed up...” and admitted what they had done, I could definitely see it being one of the first two reasons.
    If someone cheats multiple times though, make no mistake, they aren’t going to feel sorry for hurting you, they’re going to feel sorry that you found out. The regret will have nothing to do with you beyond “why didn’t I cover my tracks better so he/she didn’t find out”, and if the couple stays together the cheater is under a microscope so the cheater will regret that loss of freedom they once had that allowed them to mess around. Also, I feel like cheaters learn from their past mistakes and not in a good way, like “ok so, he/she caught me with texts so I need to go a different way to communicate with other men/women.” Or “he/she caught me because so and so saw me here, need to go at least 50 miles from home”
    If someone cheats on you, especially multiple times, you are not a priority to them, you do not mean enough to warrant their loyalty, you simply don’t matter enough because they don’t care if they lose you.
    The way I see it, even if it’s one time, they made several different decisions that lead them to cheat and at any point they could have thought of you and said “no this is wrong” and walked away from whatever situation, but they didn’t.

0|1
    0|0
  • If he confesses without being caught you will know FOR SURE that he regrets it. If he says he’s sorry and cries a river and what not... maybe. A woman knows that if she cheats she needs to take that with her to the tomb. Men are less likely to forgive an infidelity. 🤷🏻‍♀️

0|0
    0|0
    • He didn’t confess it to me. I found out, and he denied, THEN he admitted to it. He cried over me for 3+ hours, and he still is crying each day. I told him I wanted to be away from him for a while. He told me he’d wait and call everyday. He has called every day since. It’s been 4 days now. I’m not sure if he’s truly sorry he hurt me, or he’s sorry he got caught and can lose me.

Most Helpful Guys

• Most of the time it's because they got caught. If someone cheats... its on purpose with intent. Regret doesn't come into the equation. They already don't care!

11|5
    0|1
    • spoken like a boss!
      xo

• @Gothd011 hey, thanks!

• I'm glad you said most of the time! I learnt a lot from that relationship, it told me what I want from a partner and what I don't want. But it took being with them, to see my previous relationship was lacking in so many ways..

• I think many people cheat and then seriously regret having been discovered.

8|4
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Cheaters only stop when they get caught red handed. So if they stopped cheating because of the impact on their partners and guilty conscience, then yea maybe regret truly. Or if they're about to lose everything. Coz if they really cared and loved their partners, they won't even try/dare to cheat at all. But they gave in to temptation so easily...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i do

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I guess

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes, but only for their own selfish benefit (which included being rid of the horrible feeling of having to know you hurt that person).

All cheaters have self absorbed personalities and no matter how good they do or act for another, the score is always for their own self.

0|1
    0|1
    • You think their remorse and regret is for their own self-benefit? And maybe not realization of the power they possess to hurt someone?

• Nah. Cheating isn't like taking a wrong turn in a car. It's much more easy to explain a loyal person though.
      People who do not cheat are often incapable of cheating if in a situation where a girl is luring them. They become aggressive, or start throwing up, or cannot get hard, etc. The moment some girl touches them they get freaked out. They sure as hell do not experience sexual thoughts or shyness and other common first time sexual thoughts.

Any person who actually can touch another person and keep doing it without their body rejecting the situation has a "cheater" personality.

Now if the person started kissing or something then suddenly STOPPED and ran away then that individual is capable of real remorse or genuine regret.

On a side note: all loyal and cheaters will probaby feel a pinch of "Damn I wish I was single" if the opportunity showed up though.

• I'm sure there are "some" out there who do truly regret it.

But the real question is whether or not any of us who's been cheated on should give two sh*ts how they're feeling about it.

Their feelings about it are irrelevant. They screwed up, the damage is done and the trust is gone. Speaking from experience, they should be out of your life. If you let them back in like I did in my early 20s, then chances are they'll do it again.

Then you only have yourself to blame.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wouldn't even consider how he felt to be honest. Especially since I'd be out of the relationship faster than he would be running away from my car trying to kill him. I'm joking of course, but yeah, it wouldn't matter how he felt if he cheated on me. I'm outtie.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think so, but there's a fine line between feeling regret because they hurt someone and feeling regret because they got caught. I think you have to make a conscious choice to cheat, and whether you actively realise the implications at the time, you know what it's going to do and you know it's wrong

0|0
    0|0
  • I know someone that cheated 3 times!!!
    On his girlfriend...
    And they are still together today and live together!!
    And still "love" each other.
    She allows him to speak to the cheating partner and even see her during the week.
    No word of a lie.

Respect... No chance... because he's selfish and these girls aren't demanding respect either.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. People treat cheating like it's different from any other mistake that people make. Don't get me wrong, there are those that cheat and feel no remorse. But no one is perfect. People do things in the heat of the moment or in a moment of weakness. It doesn't make it okay, but it happens.
    Not everyone who cheats is heartless. They're just human.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't really care.

Once they cheat, they would be dead to me. I wouldn't care if they regretted it or not. I wouldn't have anything to do with them ever again.

2|2
    0|0
  • They can regret it. To err is human. But many find cheating to be a pattern behavior not a one time event. Of course there are exceptions but it’s best to move forward with caution if they decide to try & repair.

0|0
    0|0
  • They're only sorry they got caught, not that they did it. They made the choice to cheat, it's not like you dropped guac on your shirt by mistake.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, impulsive types live on a high.. I've eaten something and regretted it🤷🏾‍♀️ what’s done is done though. So impulsive, or not get it together🤦🏾‍♀️

1|0
    0|0
  • When I did it, I felt awful. I still do and I regret it.

However I've also been cheated on. It makes you feel like crap.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yea its possible even tho most people would most likely say they wouldn't regret it if they didn't even do it in the first place or something like that but that's kinda stupid everyone eventually learns that doing bad things is retarded just takes time

0|0
    0|0
  • So far I haven't met a woman who has cheated on me & has regretted it. 1 girl that I was once romantically involved with cheated on me. She confessed to me what she did, broke up with me & began to date this other guy until they both got married.

Go figure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Assuming this is a sexual act? Coitus. If there was pleasure and enjoyment in the act Then, why regret the act of pleasure? Pleasure lasts BUT for a moment. Lol Moment over. Pray to God and he forgives all sin. Pay a little extra to the lord when tithes plate comes around. 😁

0|0
    0|0
  • I do think that, yeah. I think that most cheating happens from a desire to feel more fulfilled in life, not necessarily from a place of malice for the partner.

1|0
    2|0
  • Yes. Speaking from experience, someone can cheat and feel really bad about it. I wouldn't do it if I could turn back.

1|1
    0|0
  • One has to be really retarded not to realize beforehand how much that would hurt the partner.
    It's more likely that someone with morals low enough to cheat would "regret" getting caught instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but I dont think it's truly regret if they got caught. I would only consider forgiving someone for it if they came to me about it.

0|0
    0|0
    • What if you found out, they denied at first, and then told you the truth and wanted to make amends?

• Nope. They're only sorry because they were caught.

• If they cheat it’s because they wanted to. They will regret it if they get caught. What’s the point in cheating if you care about your person and love them?

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea. The only cheater I know us the one I fell in love with and judging by the fact he's cheating on his current girlfriend and has on all the others I don't think they can

0|0
    0|0
  • Some have a psycosis that they have not resolved, it can me emotional baggage that keeps them from taking good desition where needed. And they sometimes don't know until after they done something bad, and they beat them self up about it, and in result it takes them deeper down their psycosis. They need help from a professional because they can simply not do it by them self. So yes I think some can truly regret it.

0|0
    1|0
  • yes but nothing gonna back again. Also, He or she couldnt change her/ his bad habbits easily. This is like a bad habbits or addiction and u should be careful

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but that doesn't mean you have to forgive or have any sympathy for them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I did one time in High school and never did it again because I felt so bad about it. I only made out with one of my ex's too. I've been cheated on and I felt terrible. So If I truly like or love this person I wouldn't want them to feel that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well in order to cheat you have to choose to cheat, its not something that happens on accident. You have to choose to flirt with the person, choose to get physical with them choose to find some where secluded, choose to get naked and then choose to have sex. I can't say that some don't regret their decision but I don't think its common. I think they don't regret cheating, they regret the ramifications of cheating. Of course some one probably has regreted cheating, but at that point they made so many choices to get to there that its a rather moot point.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes, usually when cheating It's something about passion or how hot the other is (physical attraction), but doesn't go further than that... in some cases

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure. They regret the fact they actually got caught.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I believe someone can cheat , and be genuinely remorseful , and burned with guilt afterwards. But who wants to be with someone that only feels sorry after the fact. I want to be with a guy who values loyalty... a guy who values my trust in him. A guy who's conscious and loyalty aren't controlled by opportunity or a weak moment

I'd never stay with a guy that cheated on me , regardless of how sorry he was. When someone cheats, they show you what their true potential is... what they are really capable of.

Being genuinely sorry can never regain or rebuild my trust

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably, but that doesn't mean they won't do it again.

I can't really say though since I never did it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, absolutely. I might be weird, but in my past experiences, I truly was more upset by the lies than the actual cheating. Is it acceptable to cheat not at all. But there are many reasons it happens. I value honesty more than I value monogamy... lie to me, I am done for sure. I need trust. The physical act of cheating isn't what breaks the relationship, it is the broken trust. But here is the thing, people in relationships make it so hard on each other to tell the truth. No matter what, be honest. Own your actions and choices, even if you don't get the end result you wanted.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they have morals, yes. If they don't, they won't care.

0|0
    0|0
  • I cheated almost 27 years ago on my 1st first wife. I thought well she was cheating on me, I needed to get even. Well I did and all I felt was guilt and shame. I was no better than her. I was never caught and I never told her. I just went through the divorce without her knowing. Yet, I still held on that guilt, because I truly loved her. Even going through a divorce.

Do I have guilt after all these years? No, but it I do think of it from time to time.

So yeah, I felt real guilt and regret.

0|2
    0|1
  • Yeah, of course, but it doesn't absolve them from their wrongdoing.

1|2
    0|0
  • It depends on the type of person. If the immature person they probably not regret but will regret getting caught. I will not go out with another cheat is I had enough shit in past relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am not sure but it is possible that one might regret cheating. However, whether they regret it or not, what really matters is can you live with someone who is a cheater?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do
    And if they dont regret it then they are stupid
    HELL they are stupid to even cheat in the first damn fucking place

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course.

But that doesn’t take away the reason they did it in the first place which overpowered all other reasons.

0|0
    0|0
  • My friend's fiance cheated on her and their marriage is still stable after they resolved it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes they can regret it but it's no use. The moment you cheat, you've destroyed the relationship

1|2
    0|1
  • They cheat... and then they don't like the fact that they got caught

1|0
    0|0
  • everytime i got caught doing something bad, i regret it. but then i say to myself: next time i'll do it more elaborately

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe. But that doesn't matter. Regret it or not, once it's done, you're still a despicable piece of shit.

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course... however, even having regrets some people often do it again and eventually their guilt vanishes

0|0
    0|0
  • i think that if you makes the decision to cheat then you truly didn’t love the person enough to not cheat on them so no i don’t think you can truly regret that

0|0
    0|0
  • While that may be true, and it is OK to forgive a cheater. HOWEVER, that is completely different than getting back with them. One should forgive a cheater, but never continue to be involved.

Why? Cheating involves active and deliberate deception on the part of the cheater. There is no excuse for it. You want to have sex with some else? End it and move on.

A lot of the time, the cheater is benefitting from a relationship in other ways (e. g. financial and/or moral support), and by breaking up, they lose that support. So they cheat. Disgusting!
    Often, when they get caught, they lose these benefits, and often become social pariahs, so hiding the cheating comes at any cost. In situations like that, the regret isn't necessarily due to genuine remorse, but rather regret of losing relationship benefits.

0|0
    1|0
  • Most only regret being caught. They will still try and justify what they did.

0|1
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes