Is arguing a natural part of every relationship?

Can you genuinely remove arguing from a relationship or do you believe arguing is a natural part of a healthy relationship?
Is arguing a natural part of every relationship?

1|2

Most Helpful Guys

• if 2 people are in a serious relationship at some point there will be a build up of emotion, resulting in a conflict of some sort

being able to have a controlled and non-toxic disagreement or debate can help keep the relationship healthy...
    but the key to any disagreement it being able to control your own words and actions during and not allow those emotions to slip out of control and into physical aggression
    being able to talk with each other and communicate each other's opinions and whatever is on your minds can help... as is respecting each other's views and recognising them as valid...

otherwise everything will fall apart and the relationship will lose cohesion

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It's normal as long as you don't argue all the time.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Disagreements yes, sometimes.

1|0
    0|0
  • The closer you get to a person, the more you care about them and the situation, the more you're going to argue. That's just simple fact of life and it's very much natural. What is it natural is when you choose to use the arguments as a way of hurting and tearing somebody else down. It's not normal when you using it to abuse them and you abused your rights in a relationship. So when you choose to curse each other out, belittle each other, that is not normal. When it reaches to a point where you're ready to put your hands on each other and you grow to not only resent but hate the other, then that is not a healthy relationship. People who are afraid to argue, oftentimes have poor communication skills. You can learn to debate without having to raise your voice, but it requires practice and patience. In order to have effective communication must learn to understand where your partner is coming from, why you're so passionate about what you want to convey in your argument, and whether or not you're going to move forward. The thing is it that when it comes down to relationships especially in a marriage you cannot afford to compromise. But reach an agreement. People are just too selfish, and they want their own way. That is not what's going to fly in any serious relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some disagreement is okay... I usually just laugh it off.
    Fights constantly, i would not want. I would want to work things out instead of fighting.
    I had that challenge and it was awful.

I know of a marriage like that... i feel bad for them, but she wants to keep going.

1|0
    0|0
  • My wife and i rarely argue.. But i would think something was wrong if we didn't occasionally disagree.

2|0
    0|0
  • I suppose arguments, as in disagreeing with each other, yet still being relatively respectful, is natural and likely to happen every now and again. However, if it's arguments as in screaming and cursing at each other and saying nasty things that you know will hurt them, then no, I wouldn't call that natural. I'd call that toxic and deadly to relationships.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's one thing to disagree and discuss the disagreement tactfully and like adults.

It's an entirely different thing to behave the way women do in relationships and start stirring up drama, giving the slient treatment, and doing anything but addressing an issue directly

1|0
    1|0
    • Talkative really is not about gender. Have you even been in a relationship with a man?

• This is really not about gender*

It wasn’t even the question. You could easily have answeted this question fully without pigeon holing.

• Not sure what the issue is... I can only frame my experience by, you know, my actual experience. And my experience is that women in relationships will usually avoid saying what is up, but then still get mad at us for not knowing they feel that way.

• I think its natural, but it can't become something that is just always reoccurring. I have kind of changed in the last few years. I just don't want to argue anymore, and if that becomes the norm I would probably leave.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the type and frequency of the arguing, and also how you go about it thereafter.

No two people are always going to get along at all times but if your arguing frequently and the arguments are quite heated or over big things that don’t get resolved, or get violent etc then no it’s not natural.

Relationships are a choice unlike families. They are supposed to enhance us, make us happy, be enjoyable. Arguing is none of that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having well defined boundaries and continuing to communicate in a respectful way is essential in most relationships. It’s when someone crosses our boundary that we start to argue with them, it’s inevitable in relationships but should lead to positive change and growth. When arguments and fights are focused on abusing your partner it’s never the right thing to do.

0|0
    0|1
  • Disagreeing is a natural part of every relationship. No two people think exactly alike. Disagreeing doesn't have to mean arguing though. A couple can disagree and work together peacefully to find a mutually agreeable solution without actually arguing. I think that's much better for the relationship if they can do that. Nasty things said during an argument can cause problems in the long term. A mutually respectful discussion of the differing opinions and working together to find a resolution can actually strengthen a relationship. Arguing, particular if it involves hurtful comments, tends to weaken relationships.

2|1
    0|0
  • Healthy arguing is part of a healthy relationship.

You will never be with someone who has the same views, opinions, desires and dreams as you ALL the time. If you do have someone like that then one of you is lying to make your partner happy which isn't healthy.

What I mean by healthy arguing is being able to Express your opinions, feelings or thoughts about the topic, hear one another and be able to compromise where necessary. Calling eachother names, yelling, and shouting is not healthy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think you can remove arguing but I think you can control the intensity of it. Like I've never gotten in a yelling fight over anything, more so calm yet serious conversation.

1|0
    0|0
  • LOL @ how so many people thinking arguing is natural. Just because everyone does it... it does not make it natural. About 99% of people cannot stop thinking... they think it's normal, but it isn't.

All are signs of a dominant ego.

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe that most people, no matter how close, always tend to have their disagreements, but as long as they do not allow it to cause any permanent damage, I think it will only strengthen their relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Arguments are good as long as they are handled properly. If they are allowed to get to far they can cause more harm than good. But they are good for release of emotions and to be able resolve conflict if used properly

0|0
    0|0
  • Arguments are natural but the people involved must have healthy ways to solve their problems. Psychological and physical violence is called ABUSE. And that should not be an option, though it unfortunately is for many couples.

0|0
    0|0
  • no. never had an argument with my so, yet. we have been 2gether for over 2 years, when we do have different views, we would fairly discuss them like 2 grown ups, i. e. no yelling, no accusing, no cussing, etc. those who do only rationalize their poor rs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone has tiffs now and then. It's when they become common that marriages fail.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is very natural as we are two very different peapel. And not us to being to g ether all this time. That is way so meany cupels to day live to g ether for a cuppil of years to see how they fit together. You no the old saying don't by a per of shoos uses you try them on for size.

0|0
    0|0
  • Arguing is natural and arguably healthy, but it's how you engage in conflict that matters.

If you mean 'Shouting at each other without trying to resolve and discuss it' then no, that's not healthy.
    Everyone may disagree on something and argument needn't get heated when discussing an issue between each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's natural but not every relationship has it. Of course the frequency is going to depend on the two of your character and personalities, along with other outside stress.

0|0
    0|0
  • My wife and I have been together for almost a decade and we barely argue.

1|1
    0|0
  • A relationship without the occasional argument is a relationship with a lot of secrets. As long as we’re not arguing every day about petty shit, it’s fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've seen them where they don't argue, very minimal, and I'd prefer that. It's ok to have friction points, but basically you let stuff go for the other to handle if that's there "domain". pick some areas each owns... roll with the rest.

Otherwise, you have to argue fair, be heard, not hurt feelings. some things are worth fighting for, most are not that important.

Some people don't like conflict (me.. I'm trying to get better at it), some people have to have conflict to feel alive. Choose wisely!

0|0
    0|0
  • While I think some arguing is inevitable, I believe that starting off with a high level of compatibility is super important, and then respecting each other and being honest with each other is the real key.

Too many people don't tell their partner when something is bothering them until the issue has festered for so long that it causes a big blow up. I am a strong believer in open and honest conversation, even if the news isn't great. It's much better to deal with a problem when it is small rather than letting it grow.

0|0
    0|0
  • once in a while , we could expect disagreements because no relationship is perfect. However, every day or week may signal a big issue.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do whatever to sort out your issues. If screaming, crying and throwing fits is your cup of tea, then go for it. You can also have constructive argumentation, but those are boring tbh :D

0|0
    0|0
  • Disagreeing with people is natural. Discussing things to find a common ground is natural (and healthy) too. But there's nothing natural or healthy about arguing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not all the time.. everything in exaggerated levels is a shortcut to a messy end

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes but it should not happen all the time every relationship has some lower moments where you might get angry if you don’t like it then try to diffuse the situation (something many people don’t do)

0|0
    0|0
  • If you never disagree and disagree passionately enough to argue, I'd say something is wrong.

1|0
    1|0
  • Disagreements are natural in every relationship... Arguing is optional

0|1
    0|0
  • It's natural. Even people we love we will disagree with.

0|0
    0|0
  • Differences of opinion are natural in all relationships between imperfect humans. Arguments are not. They can be symptoms of decay in the relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea. No two people will agree on everything and as part of growing dependency between parties, people will feel used.

0|0
    0|0
  • Natural yes, it's not like the two people agree 100% on everything.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s normal but it’s important to know healthy arguments in relationships to unhealthy arguments.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 8 years and been living together for a year, we argue at least once a month. We don’t shout at each other and when we are too angry we walk away from each other to cool down.
    No hands are ever raised, there’s no pointing fingers and neither of us can stay mad at each other long as we rather be together than not at all.

We both get our say and we compromise and figure a way to make it work for both of us.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some arguing is good as long as you fight fair. You can ventilate growing frustration and know the truth about where you both stand. But don’t go to bed angry. Work with your partner to find compromise and reconciliation.

This is where I went wrong in the past. I would my girlfriend out or not take her problems seriously. Didn’t listen enough. I’m in a new relationship and everything is going well so far. But if it continues we are bound to have differences at some point. I plan to be more mature about it this time

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's a part of human nature.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what the argument is about

2|0
    0|0
  • I think arguing is part of all relationships.

1|0
    0|0
  • yres i think it is

0|0
    0|1
  • You live in a lie.

1|0
    0|0
  • no. it should be avoided, be civil.

0|0
    0|0
  • noooo lol