Have you ever been attracted to someone who wasn't "your type"?

Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett: was he really
Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett: was he really "her type"?
Most of us have a well-defined idea of what constitutes our perfect match. I would describe my perfect match as age 55-65, very intelligent, educated (at least a four year college degree,) well mannered and has enough sophistication to attend a symphony concert, petite, cute face, well proportioned (no huge boobs or big behind!,) Christian, tends towards conservative beliefs, no drug use or alcohol abuse. The age range has increased over the years but the other qualities have been very consistent.

How often have I dated someone who matches all of those criteria? Of all the sexual partners I have had in 45 years, only one matched all of those criteria. Some of the others were close but most did not meet at least two or three criteria. Some were not very intelligent or well educated, some were not petite, did not have a cute face, some were not Christian, and a few were alcoholic or drug abusers (in the remote past.)

I consider a few of them to be mistakes, but not because they did not meet those criteria. The non-Christian liberal with a not very cute face was a mistake but not because of those qualities. The pudgy girl with the AA degree and big boobs didn't work, but we didn't break up because she was pudgy, lacked a four year degree, and we certainly didn't break up because of her boobs.

Experience has taught me that having a list of desirable qualities is understandable but we should always be open to dating someone who is not "our type." Have you ever been attracted to someone who is not your type? Did you date them? How did it work out?
  • No, I've never been attracted and never dated someone unless they were my type
    Vote A
  • No, I've never been attracted but I have dated someone who was not my type and it was a horrible mistake
    Vote B
  • No, I've never been attracted but I have dated someone who was not my type and it was NOT a horrible mistake
    Vote C
  • Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type but never dated someone who was not my type.
    Vote D
  • Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type, I dated them, and it was a horrible mistake
    Vote E
  • Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type, I dated them, and it was NOT a horrible mistake
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• YES it was a wonderful change of pace however was it just because my type has maybe changed? You know like pizza. I have a hometown pizza that I thought was my favorite pizza. It beat out all the restaurant chains in the area. It was MY TYPE of pizza. Fast forward 10 years and I am now in NYC. I still like my hometown pizza but damn nothing at the moment will ever beat NYC pizza. I could go to Italy someday and everything could change again. So to end this long diatribe, I will say my type has changed quite a bit over the years and I am glad it did.

1|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type, I dated them, and it was a horrible mistake.
    But it was a mistake not because he wasn't my type, it was because deep down he was a complete asshole.
    Ugly inside and out!

0|1
    0|0
  • Attraction works in myterious ways. I wasn't attracted to him first. At the end, it build on and it worked well in so mnay ways that yes, my type.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I don't know if I ever really determined what my "type" was. I was interested in a man for the sole reason that he was intellectually superior to any man I'd ever met. That was pretty intriguing to me. Despite this, he was a raging alcoholic, among other things.

0|2
    0|0
  • I've been attracted to three people who wasn't my type, but only dated one.

I was attracted to two people because of their good appearance. Appearance wise they were my type. But both of them acted like assholes, didn't care about school or job, were lazy and had no ambitions or goals in life. One of them was even drank a lot of alcohol and used drugs a couple of times. When I got to know them, I lost the interest quickly. So good looks doesn't equal a compatible personality. I was never attracted to them as people, only their looks.

I also dated a person when I was 16 because They was interested. I rushed into the relationship because I didn't want to be the only single person in my former class and They looked better than other people at that age. The person was very nice and funny, but They was also often sad, believed in ghosts haunting Their house, wore costumes in inappropriate situations and didn't smell good. Later on They came out as transsexual and told me that They wanted to change Their sex to the opposite one, therefor They broke up with me the moment before I planned to break up. I'm not sure what They identify Themselves as now.

I've nowadays realized looks aren't everything though and that I won't rush into a relationship that quickly. I was never truly in love with any of them. Never in love. I was only fascinated about two good looking people and an above average person. Apart from that I've no other experiences. I won't count celebrities since I've never met any of them in real life.

0|1
    0|0
  • I 100% believe that "We do not attract what we want, we attract what we are."

And its been true for me my whole life. I avoid/breakup with women that i know are good for me and love me and go for women with daddy issues and just fight/argue/sex/make up in that cycle. I wish i can change it but i heard it has something to do with your childhood relationship with your parents. I hated my controlling mother even to this day.

0|1
    0|0
  • The lady in the picture looks like she could unhinge her jaw and swallow a infant like a snake eating a Robin egg.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, at least physically.. I usually don't like skinny women, with small booties.. But I recently back in January went on a date with this girl who was really skinny, and lacked behind, and I was attracted to her.. I really liked the way she presented herself.. It probably wouldn't have worked out because she was still gettin over her ex.. But yeah, it did mess me up a little bit cause I wanted to see how things worked with her..

0|1
    0|0
  • Yep. I can stare at any piece of ass that walks past me... doesn't mean I'd ever go for it. I like to date women that dress modestly, don't wear obscene amounts of makeup, don't talk harshly. I like looking at girls in short dresses though too.

I did date a girl who wasn't my type once, I was honest to her and she was a liar. Guess you can figure how that worked out.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've met someone who is not my type, I've dated someone who is not my type, usually when a girl doesn't know they're not my type they will continue being themselves, but when they learn they're not my type they tend to be what they are not

0|1
    0|0
  • Physically, my type is all over the place. No real preference aside from dark hair. Emotionally/mentally/intellectually- I go for the same type over and over.

0|1
    0|0
  • Funny thing I always dated someone who wasn't exactly my type or not my type at all. I wouldn't call it a horrible experience but it's definitely a lesson, the more it matches your criteria, the better

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't have a complete set type.

I dated many different types and all were good people at the end of the day.

0|1
    0|0
  • Have dated everyone who isn't my type. Now I am thinking about actually looking for someone at least 95% like me.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol God knows what is best for me.
    My type was:
    Light Skn/Hispanic/White/Mixed
    Curly Hair

My boyfriend is:
    Dark Skin
    Afro Hair
    Afro-Latino
    Lol but I wouldn't trade him for no man

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah... men aren’t really my type but so far I’ve dated 2

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t know that I really have a type. So I don't know

0|1
    0|0
  • I admit that when I first met her, my girlfriend didn't exactly strike me as my ideal girl.

0|1
    0|0
  • Exactly people say Latinas love white men more than black men. Look at that white guy, he's ugly as fuck and has a beautiful ass woman. Money buys the hoes. Latinas love the man with the cash, because they love to go shopping

0|0
    0|0
  • I dated a guy who was not my type and it was horrible. He was Christian but a non-religious one, completely Western whereas I'm Asian af (in culture, upbringing, values etc) even though he was damn damn handsome (BTW I didn't date him for his looks). It was a disaster. I'm so ashamed of my brain cells being stupid enough to believe that we could make things work.

I'm dating a guy whose ethnicity/race isn't my top preferred but I couldn't be happier. He's my type in plenty of ways (even though he's not my type in some ways but it's fine).

0|1
    0|0
  • I used to think Marcus Scribner was ugly. Then he became hotter overtime. He's actually my only crush rn. He grew into his looks though.

0|1
    0|0
  • I voted F
    My boyfriend is the total opposite of me, but I'm really attracted to him

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. I study music in secondary school, and there is a flutist and guitarist in the class below, who is kind of the opossite of my type.
    She's a quiet, christian, blonde girl who dresses in a way any person your age would approve of. My usual type is punk/goth chicks with a bit of attitude. I am also decidedly not christian.

I have a crush on her though. Have had since August, asked her out once. She rejected me (big fucking shock) and I stopped talking to her. I still gaze at her from time to time.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was attracted to someone not much of my type. Dated the same girl too...

0|1
    0|0
  • Has not everybody, once in a while?

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if their minds win me over.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope

0|1
    0|0
  • I dont have a type 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah no lie

0|1
    0|0
  • Never.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I was

0|1
    0|0
  • Umm a guy who smokes. I generally dont like them but yeah I don't know if that counts.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t have a hard and fast type, but I’ve tried dating people I wasn’t very attracted to and it didn’t work and I felt guilty.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like:
    Driven ambitious men
    Medium built
    Hazel eyes
    Geeky bookworm guy

I married:
    Lazy floating in life
    Thin built
    Green eyes
    Never touched a book after college guy

I was shocked how far he was from my type, yet he is very loving, caring , funny and gave me butterflies in my stomach.

It was enough to sweep me off my feet.

1|2
    0|0
  • Every day, I've never thought I'd like a blond "tanned" guy. Yet every day I pass to my job I see this tall handsome guy and we exchange eyes its sort of platonic yet I find him attractive even when he's not my type. I'm usually to clean cut men, he looks very mellow and nature friendly.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes