Have you ever been attracted to someone who wasn't "your type"?

Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett: was he really
Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett: was he really "her type"?
Most of us have a well-defined idea of what constitutes our perfect match. I would describe my perfect match as age 55-65, very intelligent, educated (at least a four year college degree,) well mannered and has enough sophistication to attend a symphony concert, petite, cute face, well proportioned (no huge boobs or big behind!,) Christian, tends towards conservative beliefs, no drug use or alcohol abuse. The age range has increased over the years but the other qualities have been very consistent.

How often have I dated someone who matches all of those criteria? Of all the sexual partners I have had in 45 years, only one matched all of those criteria. Some of the others were close but most did not meet at least two or three criteria. Some were not very intelligent or well educated, some were not petite, did not have a cute face, some were not Christian, and a few were alcoholic or drug abusers (in the remote past.)

I consider a few of them to be mistakes, but not because they did not meet those criteria. The non-Christian liberal with a not very cute face was a mistake but not because of those qualities. The pudgy girl with the AA degree and big boobs didn't work, but we didn't break up because she was pudgy, lacked a four year degree, and we certainly didn't break up because of her boobs.

Experience has taught me that having a list of desirable qualities is understandable but we should always be open to dating someone who is not "our type." Have you ever been attracted to someone who is not your type? Did you date them? How did it work out?
  • No, I've never been attracted and never dated someone unless they were my type
  • No, I've never been attracted but I have dated someone who was not my type and it was a horrible mistake
  • No, I've never been attracted but I have dated someone who was not my type and it was NOT a horrible mistake
    Vote C
  • Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type but never dated someone who was not my type.
    Vote D
  • Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type, I dated them, and it was a horrible mistake
    Vote E
  • Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type, I dated them, and it was NOT a horrible mistake
    Vote F

2115

Most Helpful Guys

• YES it was a wonderful change of pace however was it just because my type has maybe changed? You know like pizza. I have a hometown pizza that I thought was my favorite pizza. It beat out all the restaurant chains in the area. It was MY TYPE of pizza. Fast forward 10 years and I am now in NYC. I still like my hometown pizza but damn nothing at the moment will ever beat NYC pizza. I could go to Italy someday and everything could change again. So to end this long diatribe, I will say my type has changed quite a bit over the years and I am glad it did.

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, I've been attracted to someone who was not my type, I dated them, and it was a horrible mistake.
    But it was a mistake not because he wasn't my type, it was because deep down he was a complete asshole.
    Ugly inside and out!

• Attraction works in myterious ways. I wasn't attracted to him first. At the end, it build on and it worked well in so mnay ways that yes, my type.