If you cheated in a previous relationship, should you tell your new partner?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe so
    Vote C

3130

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm going to have to say no. I think all humans will cheat if the circumstances are just right for that individual. Some don't need any circumstance and just cheat while others may cheat if they're being mentally or emotionally manipulated by their partner. It's easy to just say, well then just break up, but the situation in that mindset at that very moment can make it hard.

A person could cheat while being in a relationship where they are emotionally abused. They try to leave the relationship but the abuser manipulates them into staying. That very same person finally escapes the relationship and ends up in a healthy relationship after recovering and doesn't think twice about cheating.

So, with that said, we all have skeletons in our closets that we don't want anyone to see. The past explains the person you have become today but it does not dictate the person you will become in the future.

• I wouldn't wear it as a badge of honor so NO. If they know anything about the situation and find out you could be in hot water so you need to weigh it out!

Most Helpful Girls

• It's not something I would mention in the first 3 dates or anything, but it is definitely something that I would mention BEFORE I have given my partner a reason to be distrustful or dissatisfied with my performance in the relationship or even just how I carry out my day to day. It's something you should bring up in the beginning phase, because if you can explain why you did it, what you learned from it, and why you'd never do it again. It's a much more honest approach to hearing it from a drunken mutual friend. It's secrets that help build trust and "finding out things" is NOT conducive trusting relationship.

• Yes if he expects a serious, honest relationship.
    My boyfriend told me he cheated on his ex. I took it bad at first and refused to talk to him. Then he explained to me the context of it all and found myself actually respecting him for his honesty about it and did my best not to jufge even if I did at the beginning. It made me very skeptical of his loyalty. But now i just know it's in the past and i could have done the same thing if i were in his shoes.