Who knows more about real love: those that have experienced more heartbreak or those that have had more positive experiences with relationships?

Also consider non romantic experiences such as childhood relationships, parental, or friendships.Who knows more about real love: those that have experienced more heartbreak or those that have had more positive experiences with relationships?
  • Those that have experienced more heartbreak because...
    Vote A
  • Those that have had more positive relationship experiences because...
    Vote B
  • Other...(Please explain)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

4|4

Most Helpful Girls

• What a great question... For starters, I wanna say that people who have experienced both will know the most. But between the heartbroken and the ones who have had positive relationships, I'm going to have to say that people who have experienced more heartbreak know more about love. People who have only had positive experiences with love don't understand that love can also ruin you deeply. I think everyone knows that love is an amazing thing and can make life worth living, but not everyone understands that love will also rip you to shreds in its worst moments. Someone who's had their heart broken understands that love isn't a game and isn't something to be taken for granted.

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel like that is deeply individual. Some do experience real love fast and for a long time and some go through struggels and need time and heartbreak to find the perfect fit.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Those that have had more heart break have had more life lessons. It doesn't make them love differently, (if they are like me they love hard, fall hard and break hard), but it teaches them what love isn't and they learn to love themselves more and grow emotionally.

2|0
    0|0
    • 14 d ago

Oh and true love? True love is the mindless pursuit of happiness and putting everything into the love tank. Sacrificing to provide, protect and cherish for the one you love. Loving everything about them in spite of faults. Like the line from that song. "Perfect imperfections". True love is whey they are like the air you breathe and you couldn't live without it. If someone tried to take them away you would kill them.

• I hate to say this but Pet owners know more about real love... unconditional love. Sure there will be people who had a good loving childhood that could also know more but overall...

Most Pet owners know the entire cycle of falling in love to the death of love.

2|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I think those that those who have set their own standards and have clear what they are willing to offer in a relationship and what they are willing to receive tend to take the time to think about love, it’s value and component more deeply and learn to listen to their instincts/hunches. In the end it doesn’t matter if the person has had positive or negative experiences, people just have to learn to listen to their own instinct tells, is just a matter of trusting it more instead of rushing to make important decisions. 🤷🏻‍♀️😊

1|1
    0|0
  • Two sides of the same coin.

1|1
    0|0
  • What is real love? To me it's simply loving someone to the point that you put them ahead of yourself.
    I've felt this my entire life from my family. I've never " been in love" but i still think i know what it is when i see it, feel it.

Maybe this is the answer. The fact that we as human being feel pain we all derive an idea of what love is as being the opposite. So we all feel qualified to say what "real love" is.

1|0
    0|0
  • Children with loving proper parents who love each other probably have the best ideas of what love looks like as they grow up.

Other than that, we feel negative emotions much more intensely than positive ones, so this may vary given the person and circumstance; but the more intensely you feel about a subject, often that points to how much more likely you are to study it.

So I think heartbroken people tend to learn and know more about love in that sense, unless we include qualia as a relevant factor in knowing about love. In which case, it would be impossible for a person with more positive romantic experiences, to not then "know more" about love.

But just because you know/don't know what love is subjectively, this doesn't mean you then know how it actually works. Subjective knowledge/experience doesn't mean you also understand the physics (or metaphysics), for example.

So it really depends what kind of question you're asking, e. g. it's impossible to adequately describe the color red to someone who's never seen it, but you can teach them the science/circumstances behind it.

1|0
    0|0
  • It works both ways. Those whom have kept positive relationships know the value of wanting to maintain a healthy one and care for it's deep rooted value. Those that have gone though any form of disappointment from any sort of relationship to where they experience heartbreak teaches them the measure, value, and meaning of false/true love.

1|0
    0|0
  • The couple who have love almost equally for ea. other throughout the years of ups and downs and still willing to be there for ea. other will understand real love is working together to walk through lifes journey. To appreciate theri partner is not perfect and see all the beauty ea. give and be there when the other is down.
    Voted C

2|0
    0|0
  • No doubt those that have experienced heartache, On a lower level I've taught sport... and my motto is you learn more from defeat than victory, that same theory work's in relationships,

1|0
    0|0
  • To me real love is when both love each other the same. By the time heartbreak comes from a relationship whatever love that was their has been broken. So I'd have to say those who know more about real love are those who experience more positive and longer term loving relationships. I believe real love happens between those who stick it out and happily stay together.

2|0
    0|0
    • 14 d ago

*there

• 14 d ago

most take the easy way out nowadays...
      glad to see that we have similar views... sadly, only very few % want that kind of love

• Those who have experienced more positive relationships have actually built something, whereas those who experience more heartbreak are better at recognizing what has gone wrong.

While both are very helpful, I would prefer to get advice from the person who knows how to build something good then just avoid something bad

1|0
    0|0
  • I chose Other, because I believe that
    1. It differs from person to person, all humans don't perceive emotions in the same way
    2. I believe it depends heavily of how a person was brought up. You learn the first real love from the people of your surroundings.
    3. It depends a lot on experiences...

1|0
    0|0
  • Other. Depending on one's upbringing some people have the advantage of knowing what works early on and they find the right partner and sometimes stay together until one of them dies. If their relationship is happy, who am I to say they know any less?

That said, those who have experienced heartbreak, if they are strong enough to try once more to look for love, have greater knowledge about what to avoid and can set their standards accordingly.

1|0
    0|0
  • Neither. But those who have experienced heartbreak are closer to trying to find what real love is.

Positive experiences don't really prompt you to find that out. But if it feels good now, who am I to take that away.

1|0
    0|0
  • Those who have positive experience because before i met my girl i never knew what is it like to love someone so much and getting back even more love. it's daam is this happening in real with Me? How i got so lucky? Believe you won't realise until you have it because I thought the same but it's way more beautiful than what I thought love is❤

2|0
    0|0
  • Those that have experienced more heartbreak because you learn exactly what you're not compatible with, what actions you will not tolerate and what is is toxic. You also learn a lot of what you need in a partner in order to be happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think both have there place! But true love is something that needs to be strived for everyday with your partner... and since everyone is different, doesn't mean you didn't find true love when your were with them, it just means that the love didn't blossoms into anything more... love in itself is true! You can't fake love anyone.. that will show extremely fast! But even people that are genuinely in love will grow apart sometimes... this is why we say love is more of a choice then a feeling

1|0
    0|0
  • Other. Those who had more positive experiences know what it's like to be loved by someone who means it and cares enough to do their best to make things work. While with heartbreak, you learn just how much you can be betrayed by those who claim to love you. One can tell you the greatest parts of it, the other the worst.

1|0
    0|0
  • Neither. Those that have been at it longer and have studied it more.
    I have a masters. ;)

1|0
    0|0
  • I think most of us don't really have a clue about what "real love" is all about, but we like to think so. I believe if you're a good, loving parent that's a great start, but just being a birth mom or the male donor doesn't mean a thing by itself.

1|0
    0|0
  • I that people who dated a lot of people that doesn't always have to include sex could be regular dating because it takes time to know people.

1|0
    0|0
  • Heartbreak! You can't appreciate real love until you know what it's like to lose it or to be without it. It really helps you be grateful for love and be thankful for it the second time around

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm going with positive experience because they would know what it means to love someone and being loved back. People who only experienced heart break might know what it feels to love someone but not how it feels to be loved back.

1|0
    0|0
  • this question implies that there's "objective" love that is not connected with subjective experience but such thing doesn't exist. love is always subjective. experience is experience. no matter if good or bad.

1|0
    0|0
  • The ones who've experienced both. Because the other two don't know the whole spectrum of love and loss.

1|0
    0|0
  • Those who are not:
    Entitled
    Self-centered
    Believing that their looks are worth more than their actions.
    Greedy.
    Liars.
    Manipulators.
    Backstabbers.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd like to think both would be nice. I've been through a bad heartbreak, breaking up with fiancée just several weeks before marriage after I already celebrated with everyone that we were to be married. It's also where I picked up my worst drinking habits as well as getting thrown into jail several times during that period. :-D

But I don't know if that was true love. I remember the dream I had and built in my mind of the future we'd have together, and our children, and family, and house, and growing old together.

It took me quite a while to get over that. Then after a number of years, I built the dream again (more hesitantly the second time around), and that's how I got together with my wife, and we've been quite happy for the over a decade since. And there I'd say it's closer to true love in the sense of responsibilities, commitment, trust, loyalty, things of this sort.

1|0
    0|0
    • 14 d ago

Someone who has experienced both, so to speak. I can compare things a bit there from the worst heartbreak to a very successful marriage so far.

• Heart breaks cuz it makes you realize that u can only love someone the way you want to be loved , we can't force someone to love us all
    we. can do is guide them

1|0
    0|0
  • Heartbreak because I know what it’s not. There’s no iffy grey area.

2|0
    0|0
  • I get satisfaction and know more well what kind of partner I want after my ex crush showed off her "boyfriend" to me at a party and 3 years later ended up losing him to a way less weird girl

1|0
    0|0
  • I think positive relationships. Heartbreak I see as a definitively negative thing. Can’t see it as a teacher of true love.

1|0
    0|0
  • it works both ways... it depends on th strength... maturity.. and knowledge of th person... experience is th greatest teacher... but positive outlook... always bring good end results

1|0
    0|0
  • 1s who have had loving parents that their children see a loving relationship between mom an dad cuz that teaches us how to have healthy relationships

1|0
    0|0
  • heart breaks.. We see the complications of love, we have a realistic, non fairytail view.

1|0
    0|0
  • People who've had a good balance of both, of course

1|0
    0|0
  • I choose "Other" because I believe it's a
    "Case by case" basis.

1|0
    0|0
  • I pick heartbreak because they know that they can be knocked down and get back up

1|0
    0|0
  • Those that have experienced heartache. To know the highs you have to experienced the lows.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why does she need a microscope?

1|0
    0|0
  • No pain no gain 🤷🏼‍♀️

1|0
    0|0
  • Either can. A range of experiences help.

2|0
    0|0
  • Those who experienced more heart break 💚💜💙

1|0
    0|0
  • More heartbroken people

1|0
    0|0
  • Those who are psychologists.

2|0
    0|0
  • Neither, no two versions of love are the same.

1|0
    0|0
  • Both

1|0
    0|0
  • My charm.

1|0
    0|0
  • Both equally knows about true love.

1|0
    0|0
  • 50-50...

1|0
    0|0
  • Who have heartbreak

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't know

1|0
    0|0
  • They both have value as each will know more about stuff the other doesn't so a smart person would put the two pictures together.

1|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes