Is it wrong to turn somewhere else for advice other than your partner?

Like message boards or talk to friends and family? Talking to my spouse about my problem doesn’t help me at all. He said he’s upset that I turn to others. I’ve cheated emotionally in the past and have gotten into situations I regretted but I don’t know what to do.

511

Most Helpful Girl

• It’s not wrong, we often gather wisdom and knowledge from others who have shared experiences and different perspectives.
    That said, however I think it’s an area you’ve got to tread carefully in given your previous infidelity. A forum or a female friend leaves no room for impropriety but private messaging men on forums can be open to interpretation given previous behaviour. I’m not saying his suspicion or jealousy is good behaviour, but when your spouse has been unfaithful they need to keep their behaviour above board to build the trust back up

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on what it is and your relation to your partner.

There is a reason AA (alcholics anonymous) use strangers in their support system. Not being judged or having to worry about the repercussions sharing might have on your personal life aren't petty considerations.

• "I’ve cheated emotionally in the past"

WTF does that even mean? You will have emotional bonds with other people in your life, from family to various friends.

• 11 d ago

I developed romantic feelings for another man who I felt understood me more than my spouse.

• 11 d ago

No it was all online. We sexted and I asked for his nudes. I told my husband about it and he was upset and forgave me. I’d never do it again.

• 11 d ago

"We sexted and I asked for his nudes." - oh, in that case, you were what you did.

I was accused by a neurotic ex of having "emotional affairs" with other women simply by conversing with them, not matter how utterly unsexual said conversations were.