Is it wrong to turn somewhere else for advice other than your partner?

Like message boards or talk to friends and family? Talking to my spouse about my problem doesn’t help me at all. He said he’s upset that I turn to others. I’ve cheated emotionally in the past and have gotten into situations I regretted but I don’t know what to do.

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• It’s not wrong, we often gather wisdom and knowledge from others who have shared experiences and different perspectives.
    That said, however I think it’s an area you’ve got to tread carefully in given your previous infidelity. A forum or a female friend leaves no room for impropriety but private messaging men on forums can be open to interpretation given previous behaviour. I’m not saying his suspicion or jealousy is good behaviour, but when your spouse has been unfaithful they need to keep their behaviour above board to build the trust back up

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on what it is and your relation to your partner.

There is a reason AA (alcholics anonymous) use strangers in their support system. Not being judged or having to worry about the repercussions sharing might have on your personal life aren't petty considerations.

0|0
    0|0
  • "I’ve cheated emotionally in the past"

WTF does that even mean? You will have emotional bonds with other people in your life, from family to various friends.

0|0
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

I developed romantic feelings for another man who I felt understood me more than my spouse.

• Show All
    • 11 d ago

No it was all online. We sexted and I asked for his nudes. I told my husband about it and he was upset and forgave me. I’d never do it again.

• 11 d ago

"We sexted and I asked for his nudes." - oh, in that case, you were what you did.

I was accused by a neurotic ex of having "emotional affairs" with other women simply by conversing with them, not matter how utterly unsexual said conversations were.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Not at all, as long as there’s no sexual or romantic bonds involved, as you mentioned emotional cheating in the past. If you feel this might cause some strain in your relationship, or if there’s still a level of distrust over past incidents, it’s probably worth having a conversation with your significant other about seeking emotional support in others. Just being open with each other about it while actually finding help is probably a good way to go about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Advice should be sought of people who have wisdom. Also, what the subject is may affect who you seek out. They should hopefully have some wisdom or experience with the subject at hand. Also, you should seek advice of those who've been successful.

If you want marital advice, seek it from those with lasting strong marriages, not from those who've been divorced 3 times.

0|0
    0|0
  • No? There are plenty things your partner may not know or have ever experienced so how can they possibly help or even assist you on? I think it is completely normal to ask anyone that you may think has an answer or some form of advice, even if that person is not your partner. I don't have a partner, so would this question apply to single people?

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. Your partner can't be a pro at everything that life puts in front of our faces. Sometimes the person with experience is the best choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it’s not wrong as long as your partner knows you are talking to someone else. Good reason to have a close girl friend to confide in. Or your sibling.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all, that's normal and healthy. I'm concerned about your spouse's jealousy. That isn't healthy at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it is not wrong. My partner doesn't hold all the answers. Usually my therapist does. 💜💚💙

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course not. Especially when the problem IS your partner.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's not. Sometimes ur partner just doesn't have the ability to help u in certain situations.

0|0
    0|0
  • No talk to ever you feel comfortable with

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending on what the problem is

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really advice from an outside source is good

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it's, but the thing is you have to take your advices from your master/mistress.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes