Can exes re-kindle 10 years after the breakup?

My ex and I ended 10 years or so ago, we were both young, he wanted different things and to this day he’s always been the one who “got away” because the relationship was fault-less (until the end).
We’ve both had multiple relationships since, he’s now got a child and recently we’ve started chatting again everyday.
We met up and have discussed all events between them and now and even spoke about us and our breakup. He’s apologised for what he did and doesn’t fully know why he did it.
We’ve carried on chatting and even said we’d meet up again.
But here lies the problem, to me he’s the one who got away, but to him I don’t know who I am and I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Has anyone rekindled with an ex after quite some time and if so, how obvious was it that you both wanted it again?

11