The guy I was dating says he loves me wants to be in my life forever but doesn’t want to get married. What is the issue?

Anonymous
We’ve been friends for years and realized that we have feelings for each other. He pretty much got me to say I love you. I think he was scared to say it 1st. Not a problem for me because it was true. Would get a little snappy if I didn’t say I love you too. Says I’m the best woman to ever be in his life. In awe of me. And gives so much praise. That he will never leave me. Gave hints/suggestions of us getting married. All this great relationship stuff. Working on us and short falls that happened between us. Seriously long term relationship building because we’re a perfect match. Then he starts getting busy with some other stuff and I express that I feel like things are distant between us. He on the other hand is happy with the relationship. But in that convo he expresses that he never wanted to get married. Which upsets me because that is not the image that he portrayed to me. I immediately back out of the relationship because I am hurt. Since we’ve known each other for so long and talk openly I have always expressed that I wanted marriage. So naturally I’m hurt to hear him say this. It felt like I was being played. He in return did not want things between us to end. He has had failed marriages (this does bother him but they weren’t really his match. Young and dumb decisions) but since he expressed how I’m the best woman to enter his life and blah blah I didn't think marriage would be an issue. He even got on me for getting upset about my ex contacting. Saying that my energy should be directed at him and not my ex. So I don't know why he is so pro us but doesn’t want to commit. I’ve since stopped contact with him because I’m not about games/confusion. Plus I was hurt. I just don’t get it. He has not contacted me. If you love someone don’t you work out your personal issues to be with that person?
2
2