Why do certain people develop feelings if you help them out?

You spend time and resources on them, not because you are interested in them, but because it's the right thing to do. You help them out with their issues and personal problems, and instead of simply thanking you and moving on with their lives, they develop "feelings" for you.
Why that? And why do they feel the need to get involved in your life?
10 mo
The biggest problem that gives me the most turmoil when it happens it's that there's always the risk of an appearance of inproperty.
My fiancée knows I'm not doing anything inappropriate, but made a remark that "it seems it's always cute girls".
10 mo
I don't want to sound angry or brattish, but I could understand and maybe expect if this kind of thing happened with girls around my age or younger, since we can still be immature on some things. But this girl is around ten years older than me, I think she'd have the experience and maturity to understand I don't want to get involved in weird situations.
17
23