How can I not burden my boyfriend while being able to openly communicate with him?

Anonymous
In a nutshell, my childhood was tough, and so was high school, due to my situation at home, loss of a parent, emotional and psychological abuse from my sister’s father etc etc. Lately, it’s really been catching up to me, I’ve been an emotional wreck, and just about everything stresses me out. I love my boyfriend like crazy, and though he has said that I’ll never be a burden to him and that I can always talk to him, I feel as though when I express my stresses and concerns about my future (I’m a recent college dropout and getting a post-secondary education is important to me), it seems almost as if he gets annoyed, and when we are talking on text, his responses just get shorter and seem dry, so I automatically think he’s getting annoyed at me and thinks that I’m being over dramatic. Now, we’re very close to eachother but it’s not like I tell him when I spend 2 hours crying myself to sleep or when I feel depressed to the point where I don’t want to do anything at all. I know I need help, and I know that communication is essential in a relationship, but I am going through a really rough time and don’t want to lose him, but also don’t want to seem super needy or make him go “oh shit she’s a wreck” and break up with me. I have no idea what to do, or how to explain to him the way I’m feeling. I don’t want to articulate it to him in the wrong way, or scare him off.
11
0