Guys, can you be into a girl and still want more space because you don’t feel as committed to the relationship as she is?

Anonymous
So I’ve been dating this guy for 6 months and the relationship for the most part is really great , or so I thought. He told me a couple days ago that he wants more space so that he has an opportunity to reicprocate, as he’s started to lose interest since he doesn’t really have to do anything and can just do nothing and I’ll be around. That part I get I think. But then he also says that part of him withdrawing more lately is because of a dissonance that he feels there is in how we feel about each other. He thinks my feelings are much stronger for him than his are for me and that makes him a bit uncomfortable. I was very open and explicit with him and asked if he’s just not into me and if we should just break up. And he insisted that’s not what he wants, as he enjoys the times we spend together and likes talking to me and has feelings for me. So I don’t get it... I mean if there was some way to measure how into someone one is then sure maybe I’d be more into him than the reverse but there’s always someone who is more than the other right? I asked him if this was one of those situations where you have fun with someone but just know deep down it’s not someone you’ll Be with for a long time , as when we started the relationship I was cool with us being casual but it was him that said he only likes being in a relationship and that intimacy and care are important to have and he still says the same in that regard now. So what is his freakin deal? He says he’s concerned he’s not as committed to the relationship as I am, yet strangely I’m the one who has been really into the idea of us having an open relationship and he’s been the one stuck on monogamy and even now isn’t planning to be with anyone else sexually
2
0