Stressed boyfriend advice?

Anonymous
My boyfriend has recently been very stressed and distant. He messaged me in the middle of the night two days ago saying he wanted to apologise because he knows he has been distant and explaining that he is stressed and he wants me to know it’s not because of me it’s all him and that he just needs to back off and sort himself out and that he should hopefully be better next week and that he will pull himself out of it he always does. I replied thanks for letting me know and that it makes me sad he thinks he has to be stressed alone and to let me know if there is anything I can do to help. He said it’s just how he deals with things and he feels terrible that I had noticed that he was being distant. Anyway I said ok well I’m here if you need me and that I’ll leave him to it. I haven’t heard from him since, I know it’s only been two days but I really have never been through anything like this with a man before so I don’t know what the best thing is to do. I’m obviously giving him the space he asked for but I don’t want him to feel like I’ve abondoned him and I don’t care. I know of it was one of my girlfriends I’d rally round her even if she said she wanted to be alone but I feel like he wouldn’t appreciate that. Advice from a man that retreats when stressed would be helpful. Like should I send him a little message just checking in or do I just literally wait till he reaches out to me. How long do you wait. I’m a little lost.
Stressed boyfriend advice?
Add Opinion