How to tell if someone is just gay, or Bi, or pansexual? Or just looking for a friend?

Anonymous
I met him through a volunteer gig at a local college and actually talked to him first, asking him for tips on how to move from just volunteering into a full position at the office as he had made that transition. He said it would be easier to chat in video chat rather than an email/message. From there he was super kind, informative, and generally helpful. Later on when I was applying to jobs he offered to help again with a video chat, and sent along his past cover letters, resume, and wrote very detailed emails in between of job prep, offering to even do a mock interview. I declined but thanked him, and did my own practice. When I was hired, he set up another video chat just to congratulate me and what it was like on my first day, but then it took a personal turn and I learned he had a ex boyfriend he had lived with and hinted that relationship had not gone well, (now living with a girl), and he had asked about my dog who had some medical problems which was thoughtful... I figured that'd be the end of it but he wanted to set up a regular time to chat with me after as we work in similar fields, and so it feels natural from a work perspective to do that (networking for example), but now every time we chat there's a good portion spent on personal things, and I begin to wonder what exactly we are? He's said before that we should meet up finally in person for coffee or something, and he'll ask me to send pics of something interesting I've talked about, but I still don't know if he's just wanting to make a new friend and doesn't see me at all in that way either due to gender or just simply not being attracted, or if it could end up being more, but I don't want to get my hopes up. We joke around but it's definitely too soon to ask something like that! I guess I wouldn't mind just having him as a friend though I find myself attracted to him -- he is very kind, very attentive, and seems engaged in a way I haven't experienced before even with people I have dated.
1
1