I need genuine advice (ignore the question mark?

Anonymous
Hi, I've been to this website a few times before and it usually gives me some pretty good advice. I've always been able to sort my problems fairly well but this is one of my more desperate attempts at a last resort.

My ex-boyfriend and I have always had a special connection (I know that's naive and cliche to say), we were friends before and very quickly after only talking a few times became best friends and I never trusted anyone more than I did him. Needless to say, we have a shit ton of history and I am still deeply in love with him.
He claims he cares about me, he wants to protect me and all of that stuff. But I don't think he really does, and I'm wondering if I should just let go of him. I'm sorry this is so long, I'm just trying to explain. We're both very attached, and we've been together through thick and thin. I'm not ready to give him up... but I keep consistently getting hurt by every little thing he does.
I genuinely do not know what to do. If someone has ever been in something similar, please let me know what you did. I'm scared of regretting a decision.
3
0