He says he doesn’t want a relationship yet because he doesn’t want to ruin our friendship, do you think he’ll ever change his mind?

Anonymous
I (f17) have a crush on one of my really good guy friends (m17) who I have known ever since I was probably 2 or 3. But then we didn’t see each other for like 8 years and now we’ve reunited again.
I’ve only hung out with him a couple of times since reuniting, and it’s always been him who asks to hang out with me.
Anyway, he knows that I like him and we were talking once and he told me that he doesn’t whether he wants to be boyfriend and girlfriend or not because if something was to happen and we broke up, he doesn’t want to lose our friendship. He said he’s still confused and doesn’t know what he wants.
That was about 2 weeks ago and we hung out yesterday and, call me cringe but we hugged for the first time. I’m not really a hugger and I don’t think he is either so that’s why it was our first time hugging.
That sounds like I’m literally 12, but anyway.
Do you think he’ll ever come around and change his mind? And how can I get him to not care and just risk the friendship?
2
1