Is it emotional cheating for my ex to rant to me about his life - while he has a girlfriend?

Anonymous
My ex recently reached out a few months ago (we broke up a year ago) to apologize for the way things ended. Ever since he has occasionally messaged me to catch up. I didn't think too much of it and it seemed innocent enough (he has been in a relationship for the past 6 months, lives with his girlfriend, and lives 6 hours away from me). But, the other day he sent me a meme and said something like "this made me think of you..." Then he started ranting about his new job. It felt really strange that he would send me that and then rant to me about his life, instead of ranting to his girlfriend.

I'm not looking to get back with him or break up him and his girlfriend. I've only chatted with him every once in a while to be friendly. Nothing more. This felt weird. Do you guys think he was breaking some type of boundary by ranting about a part of his life with me (instead of his girlfriend)? Is that verging on emotional cheating? Thoughts?
2
2