I don't like my fiance's mother's behavior. Should I give up?

Anonymous
Hello! So I wanted to come on here to vent and I guess ask for advice on how to handle this situation regarding my fiance's mom's behavior.

My fiance and I have been together for over 8 years, I am in my early 30s, he's in his early 40s. We recently got engaged (a month ago). I would like to know if this is normal behavior or if I am asking for too much.

I have always been a family oriented person. Ideally, I wanted to be able to be a part of my partner's family and get along with them. However, the way that my fiance's mother acts is very unappealing and it upsets me:

*She does NOT like people, her daughter invites her to vacations along with her husband's family and she'll not want to go because "her husband's family will be there"

*When my cousin passed away in a car accident, I was very sad and she had mentioned to her daughter about it and said "oh it's just a cousin", like it's no big deal (my cousin meant a lot to me and we were pretty close growing up)

*She is extremely pessimistic and negative with everything

*When her daughter got pregnant she was upset and didn't even congratulated her on her pregnancy (her daughter was 41 at the time). She kept saying she won't take care of that baby and was upset because they were supposed to take a trip together but had to cancel because she got pregnant. So she basically got upset that she wasn't able to take that trip, completely disregarding the pregnancy.

*She has not congratulated me on our engagement

*In the 8 years of being around, she has never shown any interest in meeting my family (my mom always asks about her and my family would like to meet her) They've never met, except briefly last year (after 7 years)

*She does not like to celebrate anything, no Christmas, no Thanksgiving, nothing. Like holidays don't mean anything.
25 d
In the last year, I've been feeling really upset that after so many years of us being together and I'm around all the time, she has not asked about my family and did not say anything about our engagement. I am heartbroken because I have always been nice to her but our relationship feels like a teenage relationship
25 d
She just doesn't care about people/family, not just mine but also her own. Is this normal behavior for someone? I've never been around someone like this. I'm heartbroken that I don't have 1 big family like I had hoped. Should I just give up on her?
1
0