How do I get my boyfriend to take better care of his beard without sounding like a total bitch?

Anonymous
He’s proud of his beard but he doesn’t take care of it. Ever. I have done everything I can think of. I have tried to trim it for him (but I’m terrified that I’ll mess it up), I’ve gotten him a beard care kit, and I scheduled him a barber shop appointment but there were complications with the scheduling that he didn’t work out with the barber. The last thing I can think to do is to tell him outright that he looks homeless and he needs to do something about his beard. Isn’t the whole point of having a beard to style it so you look like a snack?
I love him to death, we’ve been dating for a year and I wouldn’t care if it wasn’t for the fact that he doesn’t like the way he looks in pictures. He knows it’s messy, but it’s like he thinks it’ll look better if it’s longer. Now I’m not a pro, but I just don’t think that’s how beards work. So what do I tell him? Please help me. I’m at my wits end.
6
3