Too much/too little messaging in LDR?

Anonymous
Me (F21) and my partner (M21) of over 4 years have just separated, meaning we're living apart (in this case, 200 miles away) with the intention of living together again in the future.

The relationship became incredibly toxic and we decided that whilst we're both struggling with our mental health, we should take some time apart so we can 'get better', both for ourselves and each other. We're both seeking therapy.

We agreed to remain faithful to each other, communicate often, and see each other maybe once a month while we have this cooling-off period. However, it's only been a couple of days and I'm already struggling. Maybe we have different definitions of 'communicating often' but for instance today, I've barely heard from him at all (bearing in mind we mostly message each other)

People in LDR/similar situations, how do you cope with this and how often do you message each other?

TLDR; how much should you communicate in a LDR?
Too much/too little messaging in LDR?
1
1